Bench non-strength! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench non-strength!

Reaction Score
It is not ALL about POINTS from a bench, ND, UC, or USC or Ms ST--Well maybe--It's about giving up more points than you score. If not for Touly, ONO the "Bench" points would have been less last evening. In most games, Geno would not thrilled if the "Bench" just holds what they were given. Recently, they have in a game or 2 outscored the opponents. I don't know about Geno, but I'm happy with that.
Coomb shall be a factor. So shall Batouly Camara, ONO won't meet some expectations but she will score more than some expect. Irwin is Irwin and Molly is Molly. Gordon--the biggest question mark

Reaction Score
ONO missing sitters is no surprise..she's rushing....how do you fix that?......you keep on playing her until the jitters go away....Coombs was highly ranked due to her athleticism....she scored on end to end drives, follow up layups and mid range jump shots..I think she has great potential but for now she tends to rush things and is often in the air before she figures out who she is passing to......regardless of their flaws, both those players should be getting a minimum of 15 minutes a game if Geno has any interest in using them at tournament time..
With Geno's NEW approach, when he pulls most kids they are instructed in properly doing what they were doing wrong. That beats fearing a hook with no further game time. Even high powered recruits (including CW) have some rushing of shots. She didn't rush them last night, AND ONO played better too along with MS Touly @Rshermvike liked her now I 'm beginning to see what Coach Shermvike saw.

Reaction Score
I do not think you really want to know how she feels! :(:oops:
I would like to know how Ms Gordon felt sitting during a blowout? Does she say: I know what's wrong and I'll fix it? I hope she knows or was told to fix . I doubt she doesn't want to fix whatever is the problem because if that should be the case---well!

Reaction Score
With Geno's NEW approach, when he pulls most kids they are instructed in properly doing what they were doing wrong. That beats fearing a hook with no further game time. Even high powered recruits (including CW) have some rushing of shots. She didn't rush them last night, AND ONO played better too along with MS Touly @Rshermvike liked her now I 'm beginning to see what Coach Shermvike saw.

if he continues that kind of coaching on the go with the freshmen and then gets the players back in the game, I think it will be really valuable down the road.........

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I kinda believe that Geno would like to give his bench players more on court meaningful minutes but most of them have yet done anything really, really productive, game in and game out. So what choice does he have? Nobody seems to want to really perform once all of the starters have been taken out. They run the offense, milk the clock until someone puts up a shot. But every once in a while almost every one of them will show that they are capable but, again, not consistently. I use to post about how bad our bench players were but now I try not to because usually they are playing against the other team's starters for the majority of the time that they are out there. But I would still like to see more consistency from them.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I would like to know how Ms Gordon felt sitting during a blowout? Does she say: I know what's wrong and I'll fix it? I hope she knows or was told to fix . I doubt she doesn't want to fix whatever is the problem because if that should be the case---well!
She feels the same way that she felt last year...so I just wonder how she feels during the practices. She does seem engaged on the bench, so that's a good sign I think but I gotta believe that there is just something about her practice performance that is hindering her. I would really, really like to see her, or any other reserve, to come into a game and just play lights out...consistently.

Reaction Score
if he continues that kind of coaching on the go with the freshmen and then gets the players back in the game, I think it will be really valuable down the road....

Maybe the crap that happened from the coaching box that was within our views or audible from an illegal taping was a fluke??
Regardless, what Geno is doing this year with the bench and his top 5 is very visible and to me really great. I love a top level coach teaching as he takes a player from the floor. Teaching, and by all reports Geno is a teacher, teaching gains more benefits than screech, grabbing, shaking, swearing at a player as he or she departs the playing floor.
There is no greater satisfaction for a teacher than to see one or more of his lesser students succeed. Anyone can look good teaching great students. True success is when a Gordon type kid "gets it" and contributes significantly.
I will still be saying I really like the new approach Geno is using with this team; I'll be saying it in April with or without an Elite 8, FF, or NC that is only a part of being a great coach.

Reaction Score
She feels the same way that she felt last year...so I just wonder how she feels during the practices. She does seem engaged on the bench, so that's a good sign I think but I gotta believe that there is just something about her practice performance that is hindering her. I would really, really like to see her, or any other reserve, to come into a game and just play lights out...consistently.
I can second guess and speculate because as Geno often told me: "You are not at practices". And he was right. I don't have to be at practices to have empathy for Gordon or Walker last year. My last NC or FF or Elite 8 that I won was--never. Still I wonder if a bigger bone wasn't thrown Gordons way that it may spark a spark within her. Her High School record shows she can and did score and she played a lot of BB. She has needed size--look at her compared to everyone else it appears only ONO and KLS are taller, optical illusion?

Reaction Score
One point not mentioned is that a bench also can minimize the constant physical stress of playing at 110% speed. Would we have won two years ago if Kia had not hurt her foot/ankle and had issues playing? What about last year when Crystal had a stress fracture and was a step slower in NCAA's? We all know the KLS story. You can win with 6 if they stay healthy but UConn has not proven it can play and practice at light speed and keep everyone on the court. While I think UConn's performance was wonderful the past few years, I would have loved to see everyone at full speed when it counted versus playing maximum minutes when up by 30+ early in the year.
What is the KLS story? Is she chronically hampered? I’m obviously ignorant on her issues.

Reaction Score
Not saying she does not change things, but she swats at shots and ends up fouling. And she gets pushed around a bit. Needs more stamina and strength. She will be fine , but expectations are too high around the Yard. I believe it is harder for post players to adjust to college level action.
Geno says post players take more time to develop

Reaction Score
Camara was so good at KY. What a shame she got hurt. As a fan of a rival of KY she was going to be a handful.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I can second guess and speculate because as Geno often told me: "You are not at practices". And he was right. I don't have to be at practices to have empathy for Gordon or Walker last year. My last NC or FF or Elite 8 that I won was--never. Still I wonder if a bigger bone wasn't thrown Gordons way that it may spark a spark within her. Her High School record shows she can and did score and she played a lot of BB. She has needed size--look at her compared to everyone else it appears only ONO and KLS are taller, optical illusion?
I guess that was the point I was trying to make. She must be capable, she came in with high expectations and still in her short time on the court, for whatever reason, she just can't seem to light it up - which is also true for the other "reserves". But maybe I am being too critical and keep expecting too much. It's just that her lack of on court time and her on court performance (or lack thereof) is just plain confusing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wish I know what someone like Lexi Gordon thinks when she gets less than 3min at the end of a 46 points blowout game.
Geno made a statement this season that the freshmen would have to play because they did not come here to sit and watch. No player comes to the team to sit and watch. All players want to play.

Reaction Score
I guess that was the point I was trying to make. She must be capable, she came in with high expectations and still in her short time on the court, for whatever reason, she just can't seem to light it up - which is also true for the other "reserves". But maybe I am being too critical and keep expecting too much. It's just that her lack of on court time and her on court performance (or lack thereof) is just plain confusing.
Center---You are not being critical. Like me and some others we read Bio's, see her size, and HS record and wonder. Neither you nor I have been critical of her (that I can think of). Keep up being her fan she needs as many as will have her. Thanks.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Center---You are not being critical. Like me and some others we read Bio's, see her size, and HS record and wonder. Neither you nor I have been critical of her (that I can think of). Keep up being her fan she needs as many as will have her. Thanks.
I am a fan of every single one of these players :) but have a special place for #33, because of who her idol is.

Reaction Score
when your bench includes an athletic 6'4" freshman with long arms don't you think that she could help with the rebounding and defensive issues you mentioned?
.Not this one, not right now. Down the road, sure

Reaction Score
BYer's have been writing about the weakness of our bench.

Well, ND got 0 points, that is nothing, from their bench last night.

Just saying. :oops:
I'm not sure we ever had a strong bench. I can't remember the last time if ever the bench could run offense and consistently build leads. I think it is just something for this board to whine about. If anyone can share stats from a year when there was a strong bench, please do.

Reaction Score
.Not this one, not right now. Down the road, sure

what's the down side to playing her with the starters from time to time, especially when UConn is comfortably ahead? It will be interesting to see who gets playing time against a really savvy Notre Dame team.........I'd love to see ONO in there for a few minutes fighting it out with Turner and Shepard............playing against great competition reveals where you're at........it might be humbling, it might be surprisingly good..............either way it's a great learning experience.......

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think she could help with rebounding and defensive issues, but as yet she has not done what some think she should. She is but a freshman. She will get better though, and hopefully will get in better condition. I think she is a solid recruit who will be very good in the coming years.

Olivia is first in blocks per 40 minutes at 2.4 (defense)
She is first in FTA per 40 at 7.6 (offense)
She if first by far in offensive RB per 40 at 6.0 (offense)
She is second in total rebounds per 40 at 12.8 (6.8 defense - 3rd on team)
She is fourth in points per 40 at 17.6 (offense)
She only averages one turnover every 20 minutes of play (offense)

What more were you expecting a freshman post to do at this point in the season?

Reaction Score
Olivia is first in blocks per 40 minutes at 2.4 (defense)
She is first in FTA per 40 at 7.6 (offense)
She if first by far in offensive RB per 40 at 6.0 (offense)
She is second in total rebounds per 40 at 12.8 (6.8 defense - 3rd on team)
She is fourth in points per 40 at 17.6 (offense)
She only averages one turnover every 20 minutes of play (offense)

What more were you expecting a freshman post to do at this point in the season?

and she hasn't even scratched the surface yet.........she needs consistent minutes.............yes she will make plenty of mistakes but that's what young players who are willing to try do...........she should be averaging 8-12 points, 4-6 rebounds and 1-2 blocks in twenty minutes of play, maybe not against the top teams but those are few and far between

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The bench didn't get much of a chance against St. John's, but I thought they looked improved against Mississippi and Purdue. They got more PT last night and put up 16 points (7 for Liv, 5 for Kyla, and 4 for Touly). They also made several nice passes.

Reaction Score
I think that another reason for leaving the starters in, especially against St. Johns, is to give them experience in a pressure situation. In spite of the players saying that they play every minute of every game, there is something special about being in a place where the other team is playing you even and they look like they, too, think they can win the game; a situation where things aren't going right and you have to dig deeper to win. Geno wants to put his starters in that situation whenever he can. He knows it will come up again, come tournament time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom