Bench non-strength! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bench non-strength!

Reaction Score
If you look at UConn since Geno has been there I believe you will find he is pretty consistent in his approach. I do not recall Geno going beyond 7 deep in most years. Occasionally 8. What I do see is a group of players that respect what he has done for them and that certainly has not been limited to basketball. His players appear to appreciate the life lessons that he and his staff give them.

Even players that you would think had good reason to leave stayed. How many thought Kiah or Saniya would transfer? But they did not. I was always surprised Charde did not leave.

I truly believe that the players know what is expected of them and they know it is up to them to prove to Geno they are ready to contribute. None of us are at practices so we really do not know what conversations take place.

Is it possible that other coaches would have more championships, and subsequently UConn fewer, if they set the high standards to get playing time that Geno does? :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We are seeing the development of the bench. Olivia, Irwin, Coombs and Touly are getting minutes and contributing. These are the four who will contribute during the season.

Olivia is making progress, and yes she has a ways to go. Geno is showing patience with her. When she came out of the game, Geno had a teachable moment that was shown on the screen. You could see Olivia was listening. This is all good. A little bit each game she is improving.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Olivia is first in blocks per 40 minutes at 2.4 (defense)
She is first in FTA per 40 at 7.6 (offense)
She if first by far in offensive RB per 40 at 6.0 (offense)
She is second in total rebounds per 40 at 12.8 (6.8 defense - 3rd on team)
She is fourth in points per 40 at 17.6 (offense)
She only averages one turnover every 20 minutes of play (offense)

What more were you expecting a freshman post to do at this point in the season?
I was not expecting any more of her, and if you read what I said you would know it. The gist of my post is that she is young, needs to develop stamina , and will only get better; and yet "some" expect more. Please read what I write before lecturing me. I agree with you , for . Head bang

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
and she hasn't even scratched the surface yet....she needs consistent minutes...yes she will make plenty of mistakes but that's what young players who are willing to try do......she should be averaging 8-12 points, 4-6 rebounds and 1-2 blocks in twenty minutes of play, maybe not against the top teams but those are few and far between

Olivia is averaging 8.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per 20 minutes of play.

Reaction Score
Olivia is averaging 8.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per 20 minutes of play.

that's very cool..............so I guess I'm not exaggerating her impact.............now if she would only actually be given 20-25 minutes a game.............

Reaction Score
That’s great. Only thing I don’t like is the 38% FG. At 6’5” she shouldn’t be under 55% let alone 40%. However, I’m seeing improvement every game & she can certainly help with her length & rebounding in big games I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom