Ben Simmons Ineligible for Wooden Award | The Boneyard

Ben Simmons Ineligible for Wooden Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
agreed, but what does he care. He will sign a $100m shoe deal right after the college season and be the #1 pick.

The NBA rule is stupid. Maybe change to the MLB rule, if you go to college out of HS you have to stay 3 years.

https://twitter.com/espn?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Ineligible for having a GPA less than 2.0

Making a mockery of college athletics. I don't see why he is not suspended for the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
Yes, but the curriculum is easy and catered to guys staying 1, maybe 2 years and never needing to use a college education.

Seriously. Demarcus Cousins leaving the program with a good GPA and APR standing is a total giveaway.

Reaction Score
LSU academically is a borderline community college already. I'm guessing Simmons never attended a class or opened a book.

He really should have played overseas or taken a year off and train.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is why I will always defend UConn. Sure we got into some APR issues but my entire time there it was not uncommon to have players in my upper level classes who showed up every time, did their work, and contributed. I'd rather have a low AP and know the kids are trying than have a perfect APR where the kids get an A+ in "Varsity Basketball 101"

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The best quote for summing up the joke that is "student athletes"

The phrase itself, which in Walter Byers's own telling was devised solely as a means to avoid paying injured athletes workman's comp, is a far bigger joke than any statement any "student athlete" could possibly make. It's the system that's a joke. Not the kids forced to participate in it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The phrase itself, which in Walter Byers's own telling was devised solely as a means to avoid paying injured athletes workman's comp, is a far bigger joke than any statement any "student athlete" could possibly make. It's the system that's a joke. Not the kids forced to participate in it.
Yeah we're on the same page. I wasn't clear enough on what I meant. The joke "student athletes" is the fact that universities are pretending that college athletes are anything other than children exploited to make money for the school, not that student athletes themselves are jokes.

Reaction Score
He didn't set up this sham of a system. Why should he go to class? He wouldn't have bothered with colege if he hadn't been forced to do so.

He easily could have played in Europe? Someone who planned on attending class could have had his scholarship.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I thought you had to maintain a 2.0 to be eligible to play.

Reaction Score
He's in the 1%, most kids who play sports in college are actually students too. There are probably 10-15 kids in a year who are legit one-n-done candidates.

Yeah we're on the same page. I wasn't clear enough on what I meant. The joke "student athletes" is the fact that universities are pretending that college athletes are anything other than children exploited to make money for the school, not that student athletes themselves are jokes.

Reaction Score
To not get a 2.0 at LSU is amazing when you know he's signed up for the easiest stuff they have not quantum physics.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
He's in the 1%, most kids who play sports in college are actually students too. There are probably 10-15 kids in a year who are legit one-n-done candidates.
And those 10-15 kids are the problem. There's absolutely no reason they should have to go to college. Imagine if Lebron was forced to go to college? They're just there because they have to be, can't blame them for not taking school seriously. I'd rather see a minimum of 2-3 years required if you do go to college with the ability to forgo it all together and go straight to the NBA. Would clean the game up a lot IMO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He easily could have played in Europe? Someone who planned on attending class could have had his scholarship.

It would probably be another guy doing the same thing. Like it or not, exposure in MCBB is higher than any other form of pre NBA basketball. Exposure -> hype -> endorsements. And for non top 5 guys, exposure might get you a higher draft slot.

Reaction Score

And someone could have been better for him and beat him out for the spot...a like of "could have" in the world.

The reality, the best showcase for the NBA is college ball. Since they have eliminated the ability to go straight to the League, why should he be creative or take achance?

Here's another "could have": If they abolished this rule another kid could have had his scholarship.

Reaction Score
Nobody should be forced to play college ball. Hate that rule. But can we please stop using the phrase student athlete like it should mean something. When it comes to high level revenue sports, none of these kids go to school for the academics.

Reaction Score
This is why I will always defend UConn. Sure we got into some APR issues but my entire time there it was not uncommon to have players in my upper level classes who showed up every time, did their work, and contributed. I'd rather have a low AP and know the kids are trying than have a perfect APR where the kids get an A+ in "Varsity Basketball 101"

When did you attend? I was there 98-02 and it was common to see players on the first day of class and then never again.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
When did you attend? I was there 98-02 and it was common to see players on the first day of class and then never again.

That's what it was like when I was there as well. I'm don't doubt there's greater focus these days on that kind of stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom