Ben Gordon to Orlando Magic | The Boneyard

Ben Gordon to Orlando Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kinda surprised he got that much but money is being thrown around right now. I was hoping he would land on a playoff team but his rep is probably at a low point after how Charlotte dumped right after the deadline last season. Is OKC gonna sign any shooters?

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
That seems like an overpay but then again Jodie Meeks just got 3/19 deal to do the things that Ben Gordon does.

Reaction Score
That seems like an overpay but then again Jodie Meeks just got 3/19 deal to do the things that Ben Gordon does.

I think Meeks's numbers are inflated from playing in D'antoni's system last year and on a garbage team to boot, but at this point I'm shocked BG is even getting above the veteran's minimum. He did nothing last year and based on the way Charlotte got rid of him and the stories of his confrontations with Dunlap the year before it seems like he is a bad fit in the lockerroom.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think Meeks's numbers are inflated from playing in D'antoni's system last year and on a garbage team to boot, but at this point I'm shocked BG is even getting above the veteran's minimum. He did nothing last year and based on the way Charlotte got rid of him and the stories of his confrontations with Dunlap the year before it seems like he is a bad fit in the lockerroom.

I agree with this. It is like "What was the lockout for?". Teams are offering bad contracts left and right.

Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of Ben Gordon and he's one of my favorite Huskies ever, but this is nonsensical on a number of levels for both parties. For starters, Ben Gordon's play on the court ever since he left to Chicago has been on a steady and substantial decline - in 290 games with the Pistons and Bobcats, he's averaging 12 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists on 42/38/85 shooting splits. Add those numbers to his notoriously dreadful defense, and he's the very definition of a one-dimensional player (who hasn't even been that good at that dimension). He also has the reputation around the league as being somewhat toxic - coaches and executives have questioned his work ethic, attitude, and pretty much everything else about his character. That Charlotte kicked him in the nuts this past season the way that they did is all I need to know in regards to how he's perceived around the league. Why Orlando would even want him on their team - which is going to be rebuilding for at least the next couple years - I have no idea. Why they would want him to be around younger players who he could potentially influence is even more confusing to me. Again, he hasn't exactly been renowned as a mentor to this point.

Ben Gordon needed to be on a team with a solid infrastructure in place where he would be more willing to accept his role - somewhere like Oklahoma City, even if potentially to the detriment of Lamb's development, would be a perfect fit. Miami, Houston, Memphis, and Golden State would also be good situations. I have no idea how he managed to get 2 years, 9 million, but if he's happy in Orlando and with that contract, good for him I guess.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of Ben Gordon and he's one of my favorite Huskies ever, but this is nonsensical on a number of levels for both parties. For starters, Ben Gordon's play on the court ever since he left to Chicago has been on a steady and substantial decline - in 290 games with the Pistons and Bobcats, he's averaging 12 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists on 42/38/85 shooting splits. Add those numbers to his notoriously dreadful defense, and he's the very definition of a one-dimensional player (who hasn't even been that good at that dimension). He also has the reputation around the league as being somewhat toxic - coaches and executives have questioned his work ethic, attitude, and pretty much everything else about his character.

Gee, with "huge fans" like these?

Reaction Score
they are pretty short of the salary floor and 4.5 mill/1 year ( second year non guaranteed ) isn't too bad for a vet shooter. BG also has the same agent as oladipo maybe that had something to do with it

Reaction Score
kinda surprised he got that much but money is being thrown around right now. I was hoping he would land on a playoff team but his rep is probably at a low point after how Charlotte dumped right after the deadline last season. Is OKC gonna sign any shooters?
Guys, $4.5 for a mediocre veteran is not that out of line these days, there are guys undeservingly making way more than that.

Reaction Score
He did nothing for Charlotte. Hope Orlando gets better performance from Ben.

Reaction Score
I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of Ben Gordon and he's one of my favorite Huskies ever, but this is nonsensical on a number of levels for both parties. For starters, Ben Gordon's play on the court ever since he left to Chicago has been on a steady and substantial decline - in 290 games with the Pistons and Bobcats, he's averaging 12 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists on 42/38/85 shooting splits. Add those numbers to his notoriously dreadful defense, and he's the very definition of a one-dimensional player (who hasn't even been that good at that dimension). He also has the reputation around the league as being somewhat toxic - coaches and executives have questioned his work ethic, attitude, and pretty much everything else about his character. That Charlotte kicked him in the nuts this past season the way that they did is all I need to know in regards to how he's perceived around the league. Why Orlando would even want him on their team - which is going to be rebuilding for at least the next couple years - I have no idea. Why they would want him to be around younger players who he could potentially influence is even more confusing to me. Again, he hasn't exactly been renowned as a mentor to this point.
Ben Gordon needed to be on a team with a solid infrastructure in place where he would be more willing to accept his role - somewhere like Oklahoma City, even if potentially to the detriment of Lamb's development, would be a perfect fit. Miami, Houston, Memphis, and Golden State would also be good situations. I have no idea how he managed to get 2 years, 9 million, but if he's happy in Orlando and with that contract, good for him I guess.
I really only follow BG at all because he went to UConn and he was amazing for us, but I think your analysis is accurate. The few glimpses I get of him here and there and his expressions and body language make me wonder if he really still likes or is interested in his occupation. I don't mean that as a knock, most people get bored and switch careers from time to time.

Reaction Score
Here's the article from our local paper.

The article implies that the Magic may have been influenced by guys that used to work for the Pistons' and Bulls' front offices, who now work for the Magic, to get BG.

Reaction Score
I really only follow BG at all because he went to UConn and he was amazing for us, but I think your analysis is accurate. The few glimpses I get of him here and there and his expressions and body language make me wonder if he really still likes or is interested in his occupation. I don't mean that as a knock, most people get bored and switch careers from time to time.

But in fairness, that was his demeanor at UConn too. He was always a guy who looked like he was about to take a nap.

Reaction Score
I was a Big Ben fan but this looks like a bad signing. He's come across the league as a bad attitude guy . Magic overpayed but good thing it's for only 2 yrs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
C'mon MSG, I got your back

light it up like you can and show the world what a bargain Orlando landed

Reaction Score
The Magic need to fill up some cap space, and they need a salary in that range for a potential match in a trade.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they signed him on July 2nd. Ben would've been available on August 1st.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised Ben landed a gig before Rip.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised Ben landed a gig before Rip.
RIP is 36, Ben is 31. Does anyone other than the Orlando Magic have a clear and positive spin on what's happened to Ben and his NBA career? Like most I woulda have guessed he'd get a one-year last shot contract.

I don't think his 'sullen' attitude is typical of his play at UConn. Remember Calhoun was urging Ben to take over and be more aggressive, and now my best guess is he's pouting because he's not a starter or go-to-guy.

Reaction Score
BG rated above the replacement level just once in the past 4 seasons. Paying him 4.5 million next season, actually, paying him anything more than the minimum is preposterous.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea why an NBA franchise would commit their money and a roster space to someone without consulting the experts here.

It's great that two of their associate general managers vouched for him, but come on, what do they know?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom