Bell NOT visiting anymore | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bell NOT visiting anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@Compton_Magic: Jordan Bell is down to Oregon and Auburn. Will officially visit Auburn next weekend. MagicNation!
His aau team.

Reaction Score
Sandy did just roll through...travel to the northeast isn't at the top of my list either right now

good point...as far as recent recruits who have cancelled and still committed to UConn, Terrence Samuel did cancel and reschedule his initial visit, hopefully Bell reschedules.

Reaction Score
@Compton_Magic: Jordan Bell is down to Oregon and Auburn. Will officially visit Auburn next weekend. MagicNation!
His aau team.

Well there goes that, what the hell happened

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Because the whiners want something to use to complain about the contract for the one millionth time.....

Cause, you know, after the millionth time Herbst will fire Manuel and hire a "good" AD who will extend Ollie's contract to 4 years....yeahhhhhhhh
No, but maybe after the millionth time--or the tenth 180 by a recruit--Manuel will realize that he has knee-capped the basketball program with the perception of an interim coach in whom the school is not invested, and he will extend Kevin for at least another season like any remotely competent AD would have done in the first place.

Reaction Score
This was suppose to be our back up, our plan B, our lay up, and we MISSED. That is a problem. Yes I'm going to B**** and complain on a message board. That is part of its purpose. We can all hold out and pretend we have a shot at Vonleh, but not getting Bell hurts and no one should be okay with it.

U

UCONNfan1

It was before Calhoun retired when Bell made the statement about committing to UConn if we offered.
Well then that was ages ago. At least 2 months ago. People on here were talking like if we offered, he'd commit tomorrow.

Reaction Score
At this point I guess its just hope Ollie gets his extension soon and worry about what recruits can be had in the spring

Reaction Score
If it was a dual-threat quarterback, i'd understand. But we can't out recruit Oregon or Auburn for a shot-blocking athletic big who called UConn his dream school?

Reaction Score
This was suppose to be our back up, our plan B, our lay up, and we MISSED. That is a problem. Yes I'm going to B**** and complain on a message board. That is part of its purpose. We can all hold out and pretend we have a shot at Vonleh, but not getting Bell hurts and no one should be okay with it.

I'm okay with it. Mostly because I dont know this kid from a hole in the ground and, you know, I've got other **** to do than worry about a 17 year old I've never heard of.

Look - you've got a team with no profile right now. They are no one's idea of a "hot" program. They have what amounts to an interim head coach and will in all likelihood be terrible this year (relative to years past). It surprises you that recruiting into such a program is a challenge?

Reaction Score
Oh, ! The 43rd ranked power forward in the nation turned us down. Serioulsy folks, get a grip - Nolan and Facey are both better than him according to scouts, plus we'll have Olander back next year. I'm not overly broken up about the fact that a 6'6 power forward doesn't want to play five minutes a game for us next season. Rome is not burning.

Reaction Score
This sucks, we should absolutely never lose a basketball recruit to Oregon or Auburn. Anyone who doesn't realize the staff is hamstrung with recruiting because of Ollie's bogus 7 month contract has their head in the sand. Memo to Warde Manuel start acting like a goshdarn AD at a major University, fire Pasqualoni and DeLeone and give Ollie a real contract.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't you people understand? Honestly, who gives one flying %&#$ if we lost a recruit. It's how we lost him. If we lost a recruiting battle between Auburn and Oregon, it's pretty damn clear that something is seriously wrong. You're stupid if you think this won't make a difference with Vonleh or any other potential recruit. Other schools are DESTROYING our chances with a recruit just for the fact alone that "Hey, recruit X, this guy Ollie won't be here come April. You'll be abandoned." This pretty much drops UConn from any final list.

Reaction Score
Other factors from what i heard. Not really out recruited. There are new standards post apr nightmare ..all i can say

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Everybody knew the one year contract was going to hamper recruiting - this isn't news. The point is, UConn has enough talent stored that the program can endure a seven month recruiting lull as we figure out who the coach is going to be 12 months from now. If Samuel and Facey are the only recruits we bring in, it's not the end of the world. Everybody on the current team is most likely back next season, so it's not a big deal. If we're still losing recruits to Auburn and Oregon when we have a coach who's locked in for the long haul, then I'll start to worry. Besides, couldn't it be as simple as Bell wanting playing time right away and not wanting to fight for time with Facey, Nolan, Olander, and potentially recruit X who hasn't signed on yet? This isn't earth shattering - sometimes recruits choose a lower tier school because they think that's the best fit for them.

Reaction Score
If it was a dual-threat quarterback, i'd understand. But we can't out recruit Oregon or Auburn for a shot-blocking athletic big who called UConn his dream school?
I guess this is as good a place to chime in. I sadly got a kick out of you sarcastim. How sad it is that we can't close the deal with a shotblocking big who actually came out and said he'd sign if offered.

There's no way to prove it, but I really believe Manuel has singlehandedly flushed our recruiting right down the toilet. Regardless to who is stomping the sideline as UConn's head coach next fall, if the program doesn't pull some undecided top recruits next spring or at least some under-ranked hidden gems, manuel is setting the program back years by not settng Ollie up for the best possible success on the sidelines and in recruiting. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he put his ego ahead of what's best for UConn. That's not the type of AD I want.

I know there is no way of proving that any of these recruits would have decided differently. It's possible that in the minds and hearts of these young men they saw UConn = JC and would not have pulled that UConn trigger no matter what. I don't believe that's the case. I think any recruit that has some solid high major offers is going to find it hard to commit to UConn. There have been many recruits that have said great things about KO, but the simple fact that they have little to hang their hat on as far as KO being here next fall, is probably too much of a chance to take.

"Do I sign with say Oregon or Auburn which have programs and coaches that I like and are under contract or do I go with UConn and KO who might not be there." Yeah, I realize coaches do leave to take new jobs or are often fired, but the fact is both those programs have their current coach under contract and our's does.

I was afraid that if XRM committed elsewhere, which he did, would cast a bad perception for other recruits that UConn is not the place to go right now. I think if he had committed it could have had a reverse impact. Sort of like upward and downward momentum we see in the stock market. Right now it's a bear market when it comes to UConn and I don't know how long this spiral will take place.

You need talent to win, not necessary top ranked recruits. We still have a lot of talent on the team, but primarily at the 1-3. We have two 2013 recruits that might just out-perform their rankings. One's a combo guard the other a forward. We're grossly depleated at the 4 & 5 this season, with not much relief on the way. It doesn't take much to turn it around. Maybe KO get's that extension and reels in a couple big uncommitted 2013 fish before it's all said and done. But as it stands now, it sure looks bleak when we see a typical offensively raw, but shot blocking big who loved us just weeks (months?) ago bails on his visit and cuts us from his list.

It saddens me to think we went from National Champions just two years ago to this.

caw

Reaction Score
The only good thing right now for UConn and Vonleh is that he is supposed to decide in the spring.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I am so tired of people making assumptions in this thread where they have no freakin idea what reality might be. Right now, UConn is in a deep hole when trying to recruit anybody. It's not just because the current coach has a short contract, although I'll don't doubt that has some impact. But look at the entire picture. We don't have the practice facility and it won't be there for a couple years anyhow. You can't sell recruits on a facility they might be able to use in a couple years. We are currently banned from post season play. While that doesn't directly affect current recruits, it puts a dark cloud over the uni. You don't think other coaches are telling parents 'They can't even play in the post season this year because they don't care about academics. Do you want to send your son to a college that doesn't care about the classroom?' Doesn't matter if that's reality or not, the perception is there and hurts our ability to recruit (and will for several years).

You (and I) have no actual idea why kids are backing off. Not a one has come out and said it's Ollie's contract. It's equally likely that they could be thinking 'Do I want to play for a coach who has yet to coach a game at any level?' There are just so many negative things out there right now. Stop coming to the conclusion that it's only about the contract. That's just stupid and self serving for some emotional ideal you have.

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% behind Ollie and hope he is the coach that can keep us on top. Every great coach has started with zero games coached. Most (all?) not at this level, but that doesn't mean he won't be fine. My one problem is not having the background at lower levels. I'm sure any of you that are great at your job didn't start being as good as you are now. You learned stuff as you went that made you better. I really can't imagine my first job being the one I'm in now. I would have been in way over my head. But there are savants out there and it's not like he hasn't seen great coaching, so you never know.

Bottom line, there are tons of bad things out there and most all of us have no idea why recruits are backing off. Until you have something that's real, stop deciding that your idea is the only one that can possibly be right.

<rant off>

Reaction Score
Don't you people understand? Honestly, who gives one flying %&#$ if we lost a recruit. It's how we lost him. If we lost a recruiting battle between Auburn and Oregon, it's pretty damn clear that something is seriously wrong. You're stupid if you think this won't make a difference with Vonleh or any other potential recruit.

I was afraid that if XRM committed elsewhere, which he did, would cast a bad perception for other recruits that UConn is not the place to go right now. I think if he had committed it could have had a reverse impact. Sort of like upward and downward momentum we see in the stock market. Right now it's a bear market when it comes to UConn and I don't know how long this spiral will take place.

But as it stands now, it sure looks bleak when we see a typical offensively raw, but shot blocking big who loved us just weeks (months?) ago bails on his visit and cuts us from his list.

These.

Losing Bell himself isn't a calamity, except that it sends a further, confirming signal to other recruits that UConn is on the downswing. DM was exactly right to draw the analogy to the stock market, and not only are we in a bear market, we are experiencing a crash. Our value in the eyes of recruits is cratering.

That is a huge problem, and one which isn't necessarily reversible.

Reaction Score
Memo to Warde....this ain't BUFFALO !!!!!! Thanks for crapping all over our program.

Maybe MICHIGAN guys are just used to getting whoever they want and don't think they have to recruit.

This guy has singlehandly done for years what many coaches/street agents couldn't do bring UCONN recruiting to a halt.

All the AD had to do is give KO a two year deal with buyouts if things didn't work out.

Instead we are in the Bermuda triangle of recruiting. Nice going Warde real nice !!

Reaction Score
from a Duffy article today about Ollie, he wasn't allowed to visit because he hasn't taken his SAT, I wonder if grades is possibly an issue for UConn being eliminated

Ollie talks often about "the classroom," a hot topic these days in Storrs. UConn posted an embarrassing 11 percent graduation rate when the figures were released last week, and the university clearly needs to reshape its image when it comes to men's basketball and academics.
Long Beach Poly Tech senior Jordan Bell, considered a top-100 forward recruit, told Hearst Connecticut Thursday that his official visit, initially scheduled for this coming weekend, was blocked because he hasn't yet taken the SAT.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Kevin-Duffy-Test-at-UConn-begins-for-Ollie-4002133.php#ixzz2B6IK3mrz

Reaction Score
from a Duffy article today about Ollie, he wasn't allowed to visit because he hasn't taken his SAT, I wonder if grades is possibly an issue for UConn being eliminated

Ollie talks often about "the classroom," a hot topic these days in Storrs. UConn posted an embarrassing 11 percent graduation rate when the figures were released last week, and the university clearly needs to reshape its image when it comes to men's basketball and academics.
Long Beach Poly Tech senior Jordan Bell, considered a top-100 forward recruit, told Hearst Connecticut Thursday that his official visit, initially scheduled for this coming weekend, was blocked because he hasn't yet taken the SAT.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Kevin-Duffy-Test-at-UConn-begins-for-Ollie-4002133.php#ixzz2B6IK3mrz
If that's the case, why in the world did he even have a visit scheduled if he hadn't sat for the SATs. It's a req that everyone, or atleast everyone should, knows has to be done before a recruit can take an official visit on a program's dime.

Regardless to all this, it was reported that he's dropped UConn from his list. I doubt that UConn dropped him, but we'll never know. You'd think that the program would take any solid recruit at this point, to try to turn the wave of perception that UConn is not the place to go right now.

Now things can turn around in a hurry. All you need is to add one big time recruit or a couple of very good ones to round out a solid class, but it sure looks bleak at the moment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am so tired of people making assumptions in this thread where they have no freakin idea what reality might be. Right now, UConn is in a deep hole when trying to recruit anybody. It's not just because the current coach has a short contract, although I'll don't doubt that has some impact. But look at the entire picture. We don't have the practice facility and it won't be there for a couple years anyhow. You can't sell recruits on a facility they might be able to use in a couple years. We are currently banned from post season play. While that doesn't directly affect current recruits, it puts a dark cloud over the uni. You don't think other coaches are telling parents 'They can't even play in the post season this year because they don't care about academics. Do you want to send your son to a college that doesn't care about the classroom?' Doesn't matter if that's reality or not, the perception is there and hurts our ability to recruit (and will for several years).

You (and I) have no actual idea why kids are backing off. Not a one has come out and said it's Ollie's contract. It's equally likely that they could be thinking 'Do I want to play for a coach who has yet to coach a game at any level?' There are just so many negative things out there right now. Stop coming to the conclusion that it's only about the contract. That's just stupid and self serving for some emotional ideal you have.

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% behind Ollie and hope he is the coach that can keep us on top. Every great coach has started with zero games coached. Most (all?) not at this level, but that doesn't mean he won't be fine. My one problem is not having the background at lower levels. I'm sure any of you that are great at your job didn't start being as good as you are now. You learned stuff as you went that made you better. I really can't imagine my first job being the one I'm in now. I would have been in way over my head. But there are savants out there and it's not like he hasn't seen great coaching, so you never know.

Bottom line, there are tons of bad things out there and most all of us have no idea why recruits are backing off. Until you have something that's real, stop deciding that your idea is the only one that can possibly be right.

<rant off>
I am so tired of people not comprehending one simple fact: Of all the negative things you cite--and which you admit has a negative impact on recruiting--there is only ONE that we had the ability to control at this point: Ollie's contract.

UConn can't get the practice facility built instantly.

UConn can't change the post-season ban.

UConn can't change what other coaches tell these kids or their parents.

UConn can't give Kevin more experience than he has.

But UConn could have given--and still could give--Kevin at least a two season contract to give potential recruits some assurance that the coach who is recruiting them will be here when they get here if they commit.

It really, really, really baffles the mind that so many people could be so obtuse not to see that voluntarily adding a significant and definite negative factor to a list of other factors that are both out of our control and only possibly negative is a very obviously stupid and self-defeating thing to do. IMO it is an inexcusable move by our vaunted AD, but I'll settle for recognition that: (a) it is negative; and (b) it is needlessly self-imposed.

And please save the multi-year and fiscal policy arguments. I'm talking TWO years, with a buy-out if things go south. Not multi-year, and a drop in the bucket compared to what we'd pay anyone else for one season, let alone two.

Reaction Score
These.

Losing Bell himself isn't a calamity, except that it sends a further, confirming signal to other recruits that UConn is on the downswing. DM was exactly right to draw the analogy to the stock market, and not only are we in a bear market, we are experiencing a crash. Our value in the eyes of recruits is cratering.

That is a huge problem, and one which isn't necessarily reversible.
Well said Tenspro. As you pointed out, a lot can happen between now and the spring signing period and all it takes is landing a big time recruit or a couple of very good ones to round off a solid class.

Last spring is a perfect example. Our 2012 class took a huge bump when they landed DD and AD. Sometimes the late additions are highly ranked but aren't always a great fit like the recruits that the staff had identified and targeted for a while. AD was a unique situation. He was the local big timer who was not only a one-hit-wonder but was raw. He's a typical high potential recruit whose best days are still a couple years away. DD was highly ranked, and the jury is still out if he was over-ranked or just needs time to develop.

We all need to practice patience and step away from the ledge, but the recruiting results of late are disturbing.

Reaction Score
I am so tired of people making assumptions in this thread where they have no freakin idea what reality might be. Right now, UConn is in a deep hole when trying to recruit anybody. It's not just because the current coach has a short contract, although I'll don't doubt that has some impact. But look at the entire picture. ...Bottom line, there are tons of bad things out there and most all of us have no idea why recruits are backing off. Until you have something that's real, stop deciding that your idea is the only one that can possibly be right.

<rant off>

I am so tired of people not comprehending one simple fact: Of all the negative things you cite--and which you admit has a negative impact on recruiting--there is only ONE that we had the ability to control at this point: Ollie's contract.

UConn can't get the practice facility built instantly.

UConn can't change the post-season ban.

UConn can't change what other coaches tell these kids or their parents.

UConn can't give Kevin more experience than he has.

But UConn could have given--and still could give--Kevin at least a two season contract to give potential recruits some assurance that the coach who is recruiting them will be here when they get here if they commit.

It really, really, really baffles the mind that so many people could be so obtuse not to see that voluntarily adding a significant and definite negative factor to a list of other factors that are both out of our control and only possibly negative is a very obviously stupid and self-defeating thing to do. IMO it is an inexcusable move by our vaunted AD, but I'll settle for recognition that: (a) it is negative; and (b) it is needlessly self-imposed.

And please save the multi-year and fiscal policy arguments. I'm talking TWO years, with a buy-out if things go south. Not multi-year, and a drop in the bucket compared to what we'd pay anyone else for one season, let alone two.

I agree a 100%, 8893! There are somethings that are impacting our recruiting, but there was nothing anyone could do back in September to address those issues.

The prior leadership dragged their feet far too long on the practice facility and put us well behind the top programs in this recruiting arms race.

The post season ban won't affect 2013 recruits and beyond, but it sure sets up a negative story for negative recruiting against us.

Kevin's experience is what it is, but I think he's overcome some of that concern with other parts of his hoops' resume, his high character and the way he relates to recruits. What he can't seem to overcome is his contract that runs out months before the recruits would be arriving next fall.

When you have a lot not going for you, you'd think that those who have the ability to make decisions that could stem the tide and begin to turn things around would make the right ones. I just think that Manuel let his ego get in the way and really didn't think this one through. If at some point he decides during the season to extend KO's contract, it could help with the spring recruiting, but much of the damage has already been done.

I'm with you, 8893. I don't know how anyone can look at this differently. Just put yourself in the shoes of a recruits parent or guardian. If your son has a choice between a few high major hoops programs, do you want your son to go to a program whose coach you’ve gotten to know is under contract to be there or the one who’s not? Now apparently KO has been able to overcome that factor with the two who verballed before JC retired. So it’s not something he can’t overcome, but over the past few months that hasn’t seemed to be the case. There’s no way we can prove that one or more of these recruits would have committed if KO had a long term contract, but why make a tough sell even tougher. Really!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom