Being Geno’s Assistant – Should I Stay or Should I Go | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Being Geno’s Assistant – Should I Stay or Should I Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with all Billnaples says. I don't want Shea, Christine or Marissa to leave until Geno leaves. But these three are probably the most qualified Head Coaches in the country. I look at Tanya and Jamill Elliot and think they got into terrible situations--I'd hate the current three to try to bring a team out of 1950 to 2016 without major Administration and money applied.
Tanya actually stepped into a fairly strong program, replacing Dawn when she headed to SC. Small budget but a well respected program - Cinci ... not so much.

Reaction Score
Would UConn now hire Tonya or Jamelle as Geno's replacement now that they have Head Coaching experience?
To support your point, no I don't think that they would. I've yielded on Shea's qualifications, I'm sure that she'll be ready if asked to serve.

I'm in an industry though where I've seen brilliant number two's fail to succeed when asked to take full command of an enterprise. Sport seems to be littered with similar examples, but I don't care to challenge Shea's ability to lead.

The truth is that I know very little about her. I cheered for her as a player and I was thrilled when she returned to be a part of Geno's staff and beyond that all I get are the bits and pieces of information that are available on The Boneyard and SNY.

She may one day get the job and carve an identity of her own as a brilliant head coach. From the sound of things (salary, recruiting experience, getting to pose for the official National Championship photo each spring) she may be exactly where she belongs.

Reaction Score
Tanya actually stepped into a fairly strong program, replacing Dawn when she headed to SC. Small budget but a well respected program - Cinci ... not so much.

Don't you think Dawn Staley left Philly for more money at USC and probably an Admin that was more willing to support the WBB program with Bucks. If Tanya had entered a great program--did Tanya take it backwards? I guess I should have asked what makes up a "well respected program". Number of wins? How often and how far in the NCAA? Or is this more about MORAL win's??? If it's about creating "great women" then forget BB send them to an old time "Finishing School". I think I addressed the need for UC assistants to get a program offering financial support and potential. If they don't do that--stay at UConn until you retire or get relieved.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't you think Dawn Staley left Philly for more money at USC and probably an Admin that was more willing to support the WBB program with Bucks. If Tanya had entered a great program--did Tanya take it backwards? I guess I should have asked what makes up a "well respected program". Number of wins? How often and how far in the NCAA? Or is this more about MORAL win's??? If it's about creating "great women" then forget BB send them to an old time "Finishing School". I think I addressed the need for UC assistants to get a program offering financial support and potential. If they don't do that--stay at UConn until you retire or get relieved.
Her last 5 years at Temple she was 119-43 with 5 NCAA appearances twice as a wild card team (not as an auto bid), which is excellent for a school of Temple's size and conference. And yes there was a down period for Temple with Tanya transitioning in, but she seems to be back on track. For a mid-major Dawn's results are about everything you can expect - win your conference, play a strong enough OOC so you have a chance for an at large if you don't, and win a few of your NCAA games.

Reaction Score
Her last 5 years at Temple she was 119-43 with 5 NCAA appearances twice as a wild card team (not as an auto bid), which is excellent for a school of Temple's size and conference. And yes there was a down period for Temple with Tanya transitioning in, but she seems to be back on track. For a mid-major Dawn's results are about everything you can expect - win your conference, play a strong enough OOC so you have a chance for an at large if you don't, and win a few of your NCAA games.
You didn't answer the questions!! Apparently you think Temple was a great fit and great job. I hope Shea or Marissa does not ask you for which job they should take. Have a blessedly wonderful day!!! End !!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You didn't answer the questions!! Apparently you think Temple was a great fit and great job. I hope Shea or Marissa does not ask you for which job they should take. Have a blessedly wonderful day!!! End !!
Not a lot of assistant coaches get jobs at new to them P5 schools with established and well regarded programs - they either get jobs taking over 'hot mess' P5 programs or jobs at well regarded, successful mid-majors. Tanya and Jamelle are good examples of those two options.
Jeff Walz probably got as good an opening gig as HC at a new school as anyone I can think of - but Louisville was a recent BE joiner from C-USA and had 1 NCAA first round win in the previous ten years - a pretty similar situation to Temple. What made the Louisville job special was that the school had just committed to the big leagues for athletics and was pouring money into facilities and teams, and he had a troubled but extremely talented star on his team with whom he was able to establish a really good working relationship and harness her great skills to team goals.

And yes Dawn got 'bought' by SC, but not because she was either unsupported by Temple or underpaid - SC was just able to up the ante beyond what any mid-major could pay or provide.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This group, at least according to my hearing should go....sooner and farther.
I may owe you an apology, although I always appreciate folks who agree with me. They are often hard to find. In any case my comment about the group going was directed at the singers in the video provided by Myers7 who were "singing" Should I stay or go" and I thought their performance was pitiful to my ears at least and they should go sooner.
What???? The "group", the "singers". That's The Clash. You people live under a rock? Come into the 20th century. I bet David knows them.

Reaction Score
What???? The "group", the "singers". That's The Clash. You people live under a rock? Come into the 20th century. I bet David knows them.
Last time I checked, even at my advanced age, I think we're in the 21st century. That said, you are entitled to listen to whatever genre of music pleases your ears and I will do the same. I like the 50's and early 60's, was not a big fan of the British invasion, "found" country when my wife took line dance lessons and love most of it. Not a rap or classical fan. So it goes, I had never heard anything by The Clash before you posted it and given the chance will never hear them again.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yes I know, that's how far behind you are. ;)

Well that explains a lot. :rolleyes:

Now, now, Meyers: while I have little use for most contemporary country, there's been some truly brilliant stuff there through the years. Great, distinctive voices, too - Raul Malo, Dwight Yoakam, the Mavericks, Randy Travis, Josh Turner, Big & Rich, the Dixie Chicks, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, and more. I maintain, if you listen to Turner's "Long Black Train", it's better than going to church.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes I know, that's how far behind you are. ;)

Well that explains a lot. :rolleyes:
You're the one who missed the century, not me. Not sure what you think my music preferences explain. You are free to like whatever you like. That I may consider some, most, or all of your playlist less than listenable is my choice. I don't think I made any remarks that were disparaging or insulting to you and frankly am disappointed in your tact.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of assistant coaches get jobs at new to them P5 schools with established and well regarded programs - they either get jobs taking over 'hot mess' P5 programs or jobs at well regarded, successful mid-majors. Tanya and Jamelle are good examples of those two options.
Jeff Walz probably got as good an opening gig as HC at a new school as anyone I can think of - but Louisville was a recent BE joiner from C-USA and had 1 NCAA first round win in the previous ten years - a pretty similar situation to Temple. What made the Louisville job special was that the school had just committed to the big leagues for athletics and was pouring money into facilities and teams, and he had a troubled but extremely talented star on his team with whom he was able to establish a really good working relationship and harness her great skills to team goals.

And yes Dawn got 'bought' by SC, but not because she was either unsupported by Temple or underpaid - SC was just able to up the ante beyond what any mid-major could pay or provide.

Jeff Walz got the job because Collins was fed up with Angel and probably the admin had issues.
And Lullyville needed a coach who could speak to the players.

The Geno effect for Shea and Marissa should be better for Shea and Marissa i.e. they are better prepared to take over a top 40, 30, 20 school--10. Getting a good coaching job is about leverage and negotiations. What do they have to offer--and they have Recruiting and coaching skills. With proper money and unspecified perks Uconn's two could make a good team great. Dawn did a better job of negotiating with USC than Temple. In the mid Atlantic area Dawn's name was/is big that helped.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked, even at my advanced age, I think we're in the 21st century. That said, you are entitled to listen to whatever genre of music pleases your ears and I will do the same. I like the 50's and early 60's, was not a big fan of the British invasion, "found" country when my wife took line dance lessons and love most of it. Not a rap or classical fan. So it goes, I had never heard anything by The Clash before you posted it and given the chance will never hear them again.
Holy moly!! 21st Century?? Jet cars, back pack helio's, anti-gravity, no wars, xray vision, mental telepathy, love everywhere -----I look out my window --and nothing has changed?? When is all the good stuff going to happen?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Jeff Walz got the job because Collins was fed up with Angel and probably the admin had issues.
And Lullyville needed a coach who could speak to the players.

Broadway, although I'm a born n' bred Nutmegger, I grew up in Louisville - and, just visited last weekend. If I may, let me give you some pronunciation help!

It's not "Looeyville", nor "Lullyville", but, rather, Lou-uh-vull, emphasis on the "Lou". The middle syllable, "uh" is just sorted glided over, kinda like the middle syllable in Westerly, RI, is just a brief speed bump in pronunciation. Recently, local folks just refer to "the 'Ville", as in "where you from? I'm from the 'Ville."

There's another diagnostic pronunciation, to tell if somebody is from KY, but, I don't think the language filters on this board will let me explain that one.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I

I Too was raised a "Constitution stater" (hate that) but I spent lots of time in Louie--ville. Lullyville has been my name for them since they attacked Dolson physically , in deliberate manner, without provocation (much). I like Walz but he is not beyond "taking a player out of the game"--2 cases in point: Dolson, Griner. There is a point beyond which play goes from "hard nosed" towards damaging--
Like Kibitzers educational corrections --I like learning new words. Bob Steele, WTIC, a Missouri guy, always had his "word for the day" often times that which one of his announcers mispronounced like NEW Or leans for Nu Orlins. Or Arkansanians for Arkansans. or Them Bums for Dem Bums. Thanks enjoyed that.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jeffy is a puke. Keep him the hell away from Storrs unless to get his crew stomped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom