Being Geno’s Assistant – Should I Stay or Should I Go | The Boneyard

Being Geno’s Assistant – Should I Stay or Should I Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Says Shea Ralph, "People always ask every year: 'Hey, are you going to take a [head coaching] job?" "I try to tell people, and I am being very honest when I say so, that I am not actively searching. I love the job I have."

Since UConn began winning national championships in 1995, something strange has occurred in the women's basketball job market.Geno Auriemma's top assistants the past 20 years — Ralph, Marisa Moseley, Jamelle Elliott and Tonya Cardoza – have discovered that being a lieutenant in Storrs might actually be a better job than being a head coach at just about any other place in the nation.

"It would be hard to make a blanket statement like that, but Shea and I have one of the best jobs in college basketball," said Moseley, who begins her seventh season at UConn.

"And that's because we have the opportunity to win a national championship every year and recruit really good people from really good families that have many of the same motives and intentions.

Moseley, who has a base salary of $161,010, said the benefits or working for UConn are hard to ignore.

"We work in an environment where we are offered a lot of autonomy where we can learn and grow and experience every aspect of the job. If you pay attention, you can pick up a lot of different skill sets while you are here,"

Like Ralph, Cardoza says she often had conversations with friends wondering when she would leave UConn for her own job.

"Jamelle and I used to say it all the time, when people would ask why we didn't go on to be a head coach: 'Well, if I do leave you would want my job because it's the best job in the world.' It's hard to walk away knowing that where you are headed is not going to be like that. But you also carry the dream of hoping to replicate that feeling somewhere else on your own."

Of course, being an assistant at UConn is more than coaching. It's being a part of a national recognized program, one blessed with the type of institutional and community support not a lot of programs get. It's a different life, a cooler life.

[LINK] to John A’s full article

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Says Shea Ralph, "People always ask every year: 'Hey, are you going to take a [head coaching] job?" "I try to tell people, and I am being very honest when I say so, that I am not actively searching. I love the job I have."

Since UConn began winning national championships in 1995, something strange has occurred in the women's basketball job market.Geno Auriemma's top assistants the past 20 years — Ralph, Marisa Moseley, Jamelle Elliott and Tonya Cardoza – have discovered that being a lieutenant in Storrs might actually be a better job than being a head coach at just about any other place in the nation.

"It would be hard to make a blanket statement like that, but Shea and I have one of the best jobs in college basketball," said Moseley, who begins her seventh season at UConn.

"And that's because we have the opportunity to win a national championship every year and recruit really good people from really good families that have many of the same motives and intentions.

Moseley, who has a base salary of $161,010, said the benefits or working for UConn are hard to ignore.

"We work in an environment where we are offered a lot of autonomy where we can learn and grow and experience every aspect of the job. If you pay attention, you can pick up a lot of different skill sets while you are here,"

Like Ralph, Cardoza says she often had conversations with friends wondering when she would leave UConn for her own job.

"Jamelle and I used to say it all the time, when people would ask why we didn't go on to be a head coach: 'Well, if I do leave you would want my job because it's the best job in the world.' It's hard to walk away knowing that where you are headed is not going to be like that. But you also carry the dream of hoping to replicate that feeling somewhere else on your own."

Of course, being an assistant at UConn is more than coaching. It's being a part of a national recognized program, one blessed with the type of institutional and community support not a lot of programs get. It's a different life, a cooler life.

[LINK] to John A’s full article
Apparently LOYALTY isn't just top down.!!
We have an excellent head Coach at JMU--I think if he took Mosely's job he'd get a 33 percent increase. He had 4 assistants who have been on board for a few to long years. Kenny Brooks. He likes Connecticut HS women on his team, they have done him well. CAA isn't the AAC and JMU isn't UConn. A super great year is leading the CAA and making it to the first round of the NCAA. A huge crowd is 3000. When Toliver came with MD .

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno has often 'joked' that his dream job is being an assistant to an NBA coach and if Gregg Popovic ever called he'd be on the next plan - in actual fact, his dream job is probably changing seats with CD or Shea or Marisa. They probably earn morn than a lot of NBA assistant coaches and they and they get to play for championships most years.
And while head coach is obviously the top of the coaching profession, it comes with a lot of stress and responsibility that doesn't exist for an assistant - might be fun to be president, but got to believe the life of a VP is much easier. And there is a 'Peter Principle' involved - a lot of people would be probably be better off staying as assistants.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Apparently LOYALTY isn't just top down.!!
We have an excellent head Coach at JMU--I think if he took Mosely's job he'd get a 33 percent increase. He had 4 assistants who have been on board for a few to long years. Kenny Brooks. He likes Connecticut HS women on his team, they have done him well. CAA isn't the AAC and JMU isn't UConn. A super great year is leading the CAA and making it to the first round of the NCAA. A huge crowd is 3000. When Toliver came with MD .
Always surprised he hasn't had job offers. I get that the CAA isn't the big time, but he has had success for a long time.

OTH, stress is a lot less in the mid-majors. Kevin Borseth is the living embodiment of that concept.

Reaction Score
To state the obvious: when Shea says that she is not actively searching that doesn't mean
that if someone made her an offer that she couldn't refuse - she wouldn't take it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
head coaching experience my foot... its a new day, not the 70's

climb that ladder to success

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
On the issue of being head coach versus assistant, to each his/her own. Some want to climb the ladder of success all the way to the top, regardless of any potential negative consequences that come with it. Some prefer to climb it partway.

I won't presume to have any insight into Marisa and what motivates her. However, if I were in her position, at least as I see it from the outside, I'd be as happy as a clam. She's got a great base salary (well more than double the median household income in Connecticut), without the added stress of being the head coach. So far as I know, she doesn't get a microphone thrust in her face every day, and she isn't the object of rumors and innuendo, as is Geno, made by those who want to tear her down.

Reaction Score
Always surprised he hasn't had job offers. I get that the CAA isn't the big time, but he has had success for a long time.

OTH, stress is a lot less in the mid-majors. Kevin Borseth is the living embodiment of that concept.
Kenny found a home at JMU. Played (either UVa or) JMU, wife is a JMU local girl, he is well liked if not loved (maybe that too),
He treats his women, in practices and games, with respect--he's a soft love kind of guy. His practices are always OPEN. He deserves more bucks..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Marissa: makes 161K annually to be the assistant coach for a team that has won four NCs in her six-year tenure. Not a bad gig at all!

Reaction Score
Being the newest, she's probably the lowest paid too.
Yes, I was wondering about that. Does Uconn (Geno) pay one more than the other or for unity pay ASSISTANTS the same regardless of time served. Which brings up the question of : What does Christine Dailey get???? (besides love and affection from 2,000,000 fans.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, I was wondering about that. Does Uconn (Geno) pay one more than the other or for unity pay ASSISTANTS the same regardless of time served. Which brings up the question of : What does Christine Dailey get???? (besides love and affection from 2,000,000 fans.)

It is public record and I am on the hunt, but in the mean time her base was $113K in 2004. Here is a blast from the past on CD's role, her being the one to stick with recruiting DT, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/14/nyregion/coach-s-choice.html

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Her total compensation is just short of $313K (state employee list) but she also I would assume has a number of commercial deals.
Based on the same site of State employee compensation the numbers in the article are out of date or only include the base salary numbers - Shea total comp is listed at $216K and Marisa at $201K

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her total compensation is just short of $400K (state employee list) but she also I would assume has a number of commercial deals.
Based on the same site of State employee compensation the numbers in the article are out of date or only include the base salary numbers - Shea total comp is listed at $216K and Marisa at $201K

I do remember CD getting ragged on by the team as they sat in Geno's TV room on tourney selection night and CD's commercial for a local car dealer was on the tube!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here is a site that lists state employee salaries for a number of states. FYI - it seems to have an issue with clearing previously input data (names) so you have to keep going to the 'all employees' tab to search for other employees and the page back is a disaster.
http://state-employees.findthedata.com/l/16715178/Christine-A-Dailey

And I just corrected my previous post as I had reading comprehension problems for CD's total comp - $313K and not $400K

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
IIRC, when Shea was hired her salary was $100K+ with a $10K car allowance. Surely her current base is at least = to Marisa's and CD is likely about twice that.

Reaction Score
The month long "Shea" conversation (one in which I participated more than once) clarifies a bit with her comment and the revelation that UCONN assisstants are in fact quite well paid. I would have guessed Marissa's salary to be about half of what was reported above.

Still, I'm with UcMiami in believing that the Peter Principle exhibits itself more often than we expect and that running your own program is greatly different from assissting another in running their's.

Maybe, as so many here have asserted, Shea is destined to be "the one" and she won't need any more experience than what she can get sitting next to Geno. I won't argue that point (not anymore), but if she does one day ascend to the throne I hope that Marissa is seated next to her in, what is now, CD's role.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am reminded of a comment made by General Patton during WW II: "It's no wonder I've got a sore lip. Consider all the asses I have to kiss." :confused:

A head coach has to deal with a whole mess of people, including many in media, alumni (e.g., "Thanks Mr. Werth"), faculty, politicians, etc. And recruits' parents. His assistants answer to Geno. Period. No sore lips. ;)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The month long "Shea" conversation (one in which I participated more than once) clarifies a bit with her comment and the revelation that UCONN assisstants are in fact quite well paid. I would have guessed Marissa's salary to be about half of what was reported above.

Still, I'm with UcMiami in believing that the Peter Principle exhibits itself more often than we expect and that running your own program is greatly different from assissting another in running their's.

Maybe, as so many here have asserted, Shea is destined to be "the one" and she won't need any more experience than what she can get sitting next to Geno. I won't argue that point (not anymore), but if she does one day ascend to the throne I hope that Marissa is seated next to her in, what is now, CD's role.
Would UConn now hire Tonya or Jamelle as Geno's replacement now that they have Head Coaching experience?

Reaction Score
This group, at least according to my hearing should go....sooner and farther.
I agree with all Billnaples says. I don't want Shea, Christine or Marissa to leave until Geno leaves. But these three are probably the most qualified Head Coaches in the country. I look at Tanya and Jamill Elliot and think they got into terrible situations--I'd hate the current three to try to bring a team out of 1950 to 2016 without major Administration and money applied.

Reaction Score
I agree with all Billnaples says. I don't want Shea, Christine or Marissa to leave until Geno leaves. But these three are probably the most qualified Head Coaches in the country. I look at Tanya and Jamill Elliot and think they got into terrible situations--I'd hate the current three to try to bring a team out of 1950 to 2016 without major Administration and money applied.
I may owe you an apology, although I always appreciate folks who agree with me. They are often hard to find. In any case my comment about the group going was directed at the singers in the video provided by Myers7 who were "singing" Should I stay or go" and I thought their performance was pitiful to my ears at least and they should go sooner. I really hope the total brain trust of Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa are around for many moons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom