Being a UConn Fan and the Non Stop "Gloom and Doom" | The Boneyard

Being a UConn Fan and the Non Stop "Gloom and Doom"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it me, or does it feel like over the past few years there is Always something that tries to bring UConn down and make UConn fans Very nervous. Some self inflicted and others from external sources.

Just to list a few...
1. Players doing stupid things and getting suspended (happened over different years with different players)
2. Constant/yearly speculation that Calhoun would retire...I don't remember any other coach being drilled about retiring on a yearly basis like they did Calhoun. This obviously affects recruiting
3. APR issues leading to loss of scholarships...negatively affects recruiting - We win the 2011 championship anyways, #3. UConn on a high once again!
4. Have a chance to repeat with the addition of Drummond, NCAA investigates Boatright and keeps him from playing numerous games. This unjustly cost him valuable playing time and experience, part of the reason we didn't repeat in 2012
5. Same unjust APR issues leading to post season ban for 2013 - a batch of players depart
6. Calhoun decides to retire, handing over the reigns to an unproven Coach Ollie. Starts being viewed as the decline of UConn by the media
7. Conference realignment happens and UConn is slighted. "UConn will be no more" by the media
8. With a limited roster, we do really well in 2013 despite the ban, and would have made the tournament. Coach Ollie proves he knows what he's doing
9. UConn now in the AAC, the conference is mocked, affects recruiting, and how "UConn will no longer be one of the top programs" by the media because of the conference situation.
10. UConn wins #4, the 2014 championship. UConn is on a serious high, brand is national once gain, Coach Ollie proves how good of a coach/recruiter he is and everyone takes notice. UConn is unstoppable in the past 15 years. Other conferences are stupid for not taking UConn over Rutgers, West Virgina, Pitt etc...
11. Now NBA may be calling Ollie and he may leave, leaving UConn with no proven head coach again. Combine that with the BS AAC conference and UConn is on it's way down again (per media)! WTF!

Can we just enjoy our success without having someone/something trying to bring it down?
Call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever..but seriously. Come On! lol

On the brighter side, we always seem to do better with our back against the walls; we come out swinging!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Is it me, or does it feel like over the past few years there is Always something that tries to bring UConn down and make UConn fans Very nervous. Some self inflicted and others from external sources.

Just to list a few...
1. Players doing stupid things and getting suspended (happened over different years with different players)
2. Constant/yearly speculation that Calhoun would retire...I don't remember any other coach being drilled about retiring on a yearly basis like they did Calhoun. This obviously affects recruiting
3. APR issues leading to loss of scholarships...negatively affects recruiting - We win the 2011 championship anyways, #3. UConn on a high once again!
4. Have a chance to repeat with the addition of Drummond, NCAA investigates Boatright and keeps him from playing numerous games. This unjustly cost him valuable playing time and experience, part of the reason we didn't repeat in 2012
5. Same unjust APR issues leading to post season ban for 2013 - a batch of players depart
6. Calhoun decides to retire, handing over the reigns to an unproven Coach Ollie. Starts being viewed as the decline of UConn by the media
7. Conference realignment happens and UConn is slighted. "UConn will be no more" by the media
8. With a limited roster, we do really well in 2013 despite the ban, and would have made the tournament. Coach Ollie proves he knows what he's doing
9. UConn now in the AAC, the conference is mocked, affects recruiting, and how "UConn will no longer be one of the top programs" by the media because of the conference situation.
10. UConn wins #4, the 2014 championship. UConn is on a serious high, brand is national once gain, Coach Ollie proves how good of a coach/recruiter he is and everyone takes notice. UConn is unstoppable in the past 15 years. Other conferences are stupid for not taking UConn over Rutgers, West Virgina, Pitt etc...
11. Now NBA may be calling Ollie and he may leave, leaving UConn with no proven head coach again. Combine that with the BS AAC conference and UConn is on it's way down again (per media)! WTF!

Can we just enjoy our success without having someone/something trying to bring it down?

On the brighter side, we always seem to do better with our back against the walls; we come out swinging!

Yeah. I wish I was an SU fan.

I could be wearing my 25-0 tshirt right now instead of waiting for my Dual NC shirt to arrive.

Reaction Score
Mark Emmert sucks. NCAA with all their antiquated rules sucks.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it is the typical temperament of people from the northeast.....and of course because we're actually doomed.

Reaction Score

Just to list a few...

I hate people who think they can be the voice of reason…….this thread is BS…...;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
Yeah. I wish I was an SU fan. I could be wearing my 25-0 tshirt right now instead of waiting for my Dual NC shirt to arrive.

"" But... But.. We are in a better conference, we get better conference revenues. We have more regular season wins. Too much emphasis is placed on the tournament, you are doing yourself a disservice if you just care about the tournament results. We get better recruits. F uconn, they are irrelevant in their mid major conference.""

- signed
Syracusefan.com

Reaction Score
We have title #4,players we`re proud of and the hottest coach in basketball right now college or pro. We have a nice recruiting class shaping up and we have some nice talent joining next year. Boy does it suck being us! KO IS GOING NOWHERE! He wants the challenge of winning with his players now, hes not the type to up and leave and leave the program in a tough spot and at 41 he could be at uconn for the next ten years and then move on to the nba and still be a young coach who could coach in the league for 20 years. Keep calm he`s not going anywhere. Yet.

Reaction Score
Personally I would not feel comfortable seeing us praised and worshiped. Its hard for a team to stay tough and hardened. Being disrespected and picked on, does something to one's character when they overcome all of that. In fact uk looked pampered and full of it, before the opening tip. Dook looked shellshocked by a 'completely' disrespected team. Very few teams lately have the 'edgeness' and toughness UConn displays. Some of its the City kids on our team that have that special something that nothing can stop.

Even Bazz said as much on the podium and also when he grabbed his jersey at the end of the Championship game and shouted "I Told You!".

Reaction Score
The doom-and-gloomers have no vision. I hope none of you who are have executive positions.

Reaction Score
Personally I would not feel comfortable seeing us praised and worshiped. Its hard for a team to stay tough and hardened. Being disrespected and picked on, does something to one's character when they overcome all of that. In fact uk looked pampered and full of it, before the opening tip. Dook looked shellshocked by a 'completely' disrespected team. Very few teams lately have the 'edgeness' and toughness UConn displays. Some of its the City kids on our team that have that special something that nothing can stop.

Even Bazz said as much on the podium and also when he grabbed his jersey at the end of the Championship game and shouted "I Told You!".

Exactly! I see your point.
I'd much rather be the under dog fighting their way to #1 vs the silver-spooned who expect to win just because of their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom