Beginning to get annoyed with the Sox | The Boneyard

Beginning to get annoyed with the Sox

Reaction Score
I know it is just spring training, but come on. They are dead last in the grape fruit league and have lost 7 in a row. There are only 3 teams with worse team ERA's. The guys who were candidates to replace Kimbrel have been absolutely terrible. Alex, you need to wake them up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yawn. Wake me up when the regular season starts.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Spring training is mostly meaningless.

I would’ve liked sipp and romo for the pen as cheap as they went.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know it is just spring training, but come on. They are dead last in the grape fruit league and have lost 7 in a row. There are only 3 teams with worse team ERA's. The guys who were candidates to replace Kimbrel have been absolutely terrible. Alex, you need to wake them up.
Not this again. Clearly you didn't learn anything last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lol at knowing spring training game scores

Reaction Score
As a Yankees fan, trying to stay as neutral on this as possible. But, if I was a Sox fan, I would have no worries about the Sox's field, batting order and starting rotation.

Their biggest concern, and this is where they seem to be arrogant/laissez-faire is their closer. Kimbrel's demands are out of alignment with the market right now; but, its a key role and I don't see anyone of their staff who can be a reliable, lights-out closer for the entire season. That was their biggest concern in the playoffs after Kimbrel had a few shaky outings and it almost cost them. Afterall, they can't use Price as a closer on a regular basis.

the Q

Reaction Score
As a Yankees fan, trying to stay as neutral on this as possible. But, if I was a Sox fan, I would have no worries about the Sox's field, batting order and starting rotation.

Their biggest concern, and this is where they seem to be arrogant/laissez-faire is their closer. Kimbrel's demands are out of alignment with the market right now; but, its a key role and I don't see anyone of their staff who can be a reliable, lights-out closer for the entire season. That was their biggest concern in the playoffs after Kimbrel had a few shaky outings and it almost cost them. Afterall, they can't use Price as a closer on a regular basis.

It’s a long season.

I expect Dombrowski to make a move for some pieces.

My gusss is SF with those power lefties out there.

the Q

Reaction Score
My take is that the Sox think Kimbrel is washed up, moreso than the price tag.

Declining sure. Doubt he’s completely toast yet

Reaction Score
Declining sure. Doubt he’s completely toast yet
If I were Dombrowski I'd offer Kimbrell a contract for 2 to 3 years with a team option to get out of it after the first year. He does not turn 31 until late May. Unless he has an injury that we are not hearing about, it would be worth the gamble. I think he liked playing for the Sox. Still not sold on Barnes or Brazier and Thornburg looks like he might be done.

the Q

Reaction Score
If I were Dombrowski I'd offer Kimbrell a contract for 2 to 3 years with a team option to get out of it after the first year. He does not turn 31 until late May. Unless he has an injury that we are not hearing about, it would be worth the gamble. I think he liked playing for the Sox. Still not sold on Barnes or Brazier and Thornburg looks like he might be done.

I agree with all of that.

2 years would be ideal.

They seem to be trying to avoiding the super tax again.

Cherington’s baffling stupidity strikes again with panda taking a ton of worthless space up on their cbt ledger

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with all of that.

2 years would be ideal.

They seem to be trying to avoiding the super tax again.

Cherington’s baffling stupidity strikes again with panda taking a ton of worthless space up on their cbt ledger

Agreed, but I doubt he would take it. Closer is the most over-priced and valued position in the game. The Sox know it. The problem is they lost Kelly too. I expect them to swing a trade. They are suddenly flush with young 3B prospects. One will move to 1B eventually, but something has to give. A C will end up being moved as well.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I doubt he would take it. Closer is the most over-priced and valued position in the game. The Sox know it. The problem is they lost Kelly too. I expect them to swing a trade. They are suddenly flush with young 3B prospects. One will move to 1B eventually, but something has to give. A C will end up being moved as well.

Devers is a 1B. Period. Full stop.

He’s awful over there.

Kelly wasn’t that good all year until October. He’s replaceable.

The problem is the 2 really good arms they got have been consistently hurt. (Thornburg and Carson Smith)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Devers is a 1B. Period. Full stop.

He’s awful over there.

Kelly wasn’t that good all year until October. He’s replaceable.

The problem is the 2 really good arms they got have been consistently hurt. (Thornburg and Carson Smith)

He’s just a kid. Younger than the guys behind him who are making noise. He’s got athleticism and can learn the position. But one of those 3 guys is a trade asset.

Agreed on the injured relievers, which is part of why spending on others seems unwise. It’s the position where the seasonal variability in performance is highest according to metrics. Guys good one year not the next. So the smart approach is to have 15 of them, including arms in the minors. And swing guys. I am convinced that ERod can close and be a stud at it. But unfortunately we need him in the rotation.

the Q

Reaction Score
He’s just a kid. Younger than the guys behind him who are making noise. He’s got athleticism and can learn the position. But one of those 3 guys is a trade asset.

Agreed on the injured relievers, which is part of why spending on others seems unwise. It’s the position where the seasonal variability in performance is highest according to metrics. Guys good one year not the next. So the smart approach is to have 15 of them, including arms in the minors. And swing guys. I am convinced that ERod can close and be a stud at it. But unfortunately we need him in the rotation.

Oh I think he’ll hit.

But his body is already going the wrong way. I’m not bullish on him sticking at 3b long term

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You really think that was Cherington? That smelled of Lucchino. Having him move on might have been Dombrowski's best move.

Reaction Score
So now spring training is over and the regular season has started. See any difference? I don't. Maybe they need to bring Sandy Leon back.. He can't hit but he seems to have an impact on the pitching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom