Before you promote Boyle's ascension ... | The Boneyard

Before you promote Boyle's ascension ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watch the Temple interception. (it is easily available on ESPN video)

The play begins with a decent Temple rush; but, the 5 OLinemen (including Rutherford, Hopkins, Bockeloh, Crozier, Knappe) do a solid job creating a pocket. All looks good and no real pressure. Just an inaccurate undisciplined toss.

I don't know if Tim Boyle rises to Dan Orlovsky. He needs a chance; and I guess that is the argument. But, be careful with your expectations. He does not give us a better chance ... probably ... than Chandler Whitmer today. That probably comes down to, and not just the COACH view, leadership. But at 1-4, we now know what this season is about: the Future years. We will see Boyle pushed out on that field far more. He needs to grow and develop ... and let's change our mindset as a fanbase as this happens. He is going to duck*up.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You are wrong. He doesn't play because Diaco doesn't care about winning and he hates Boyle.

Sarcasm meter is moving-

Seriously THIS is from Diaco -

“We want to continue to play Tim, when he’s feeling well enough to do that,” Diaco said yesterday. “We want to continue to do that, we want to play Tim in every game. There’s no reason why we wouldn’t. Tim is the quarterback of the future and why wouldn’t we take every opportunity to get him action to get better? We definitely WANT to, I’m not sure we can. It’s still going to be based on how he feels, but moving forward we definitely want to get him in each game.”
So Boyle would see time when he is feeling well enough to do that. Some feel he has a lower leg 'pain' which is holding him back from playing, which is highly doubtful in my maniacal mind - football players play with pain all the time - they dont play when they have injuries.
I am thinking it is the mental aspect - not a dig at the kid but it sounds like he is either not up to speed or not comfortable at this point.
No player is getting better playing 4-7 snaps a game -

I’m not sure we can. It’s still going to be based on how he feels, but moving forward we definitely want to get him in each game.” - DIACO
To me its how he feels mentally - not physically. There is not a word about lower leg, pain or anything physically preventing Tim from playing.

I have be known to be wrong -

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone (with the exception of Palatine) is under any disillusions of what Boyle is.

But there's no reason to sit him any longer. God only knows what the deal is with the non injury but if they aren't devising a gameplan tailored to Boyle (and to keep him safe) during the bye week, my criticism of Diaco will intensify. Give Boyle the majority of the snaps in NOLA and then name him the starter for the rest of the year. Makes absolutely no sense to be trotting out Whitmer any longer.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone (with the exception of Palatine) is under any disillusions of what Boyle is.

But there's no reason to sit him any longer. God only knows what the deal is with the non injury but if they aren't devising a gameplan tailored to Boyle (and to keep him safe) during the bye week, my criticism of Diaco will intensify. Give Boyle the majority of the snaps in NOLA and then name him the starter for the rest of the year. Makes absolutely no sense to be trotting out Whitmer any longer.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Tim is the quarterback of the future and why wouldn’t we take every opportunity to get him action to get better? We definitely WANT to, I’m not sure we can. It’s still going to be based on how he feels, but moving forward we definitely want to get him in each game.”
Somewhat cooky answer...the non-injury is preventing it?
I am onboard - play him if he is well enough but doesnt sound like he is...he is well enough to paly 5 snaps but not more...IDK>

Reaction Score
No player is getting better playing 4-7 snaps a game

At least on OL if you get confused on any play you can find the nearest jersey and hit someone. 4-7 snaps just serves to nitpick every aspect of a tiny sample of a plays from a QB who's barely warmed up. What is anyone learning from that? It's negative reinforcement.

Reaction Score
I'm with all of you...at this point how bad could it be? We'll be lucky to win a few games this year, maybe Army, maybe SMU, beyond those 2 I am at a loss to think of any where we'll be even pick 'em, so might as well go with Boyle the rest of the way. Maybe he turns out to be better than expected. Maybe he grows into the job, maybe he doesn't. At any rate, we know what needs to be done for the future. Do we go out and get a JUCO or recruit another freshman for depth? FWIW, I didn't have a problem with using the guy who is obviously the emergency quarterback in the waning minutes of the Temple loss. If Boyle is gimpy and Whitmer is the only healthy guy, it didn't hurt to get him a little pt in case. Not like we were going to come back and turn the game around.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Diaco agrees also. But he keeps saying that Boyle can't play yet...but he won't tell us why.

Which...is....odd.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco agrees also. But he keeps saying that Boyle can't play yet...but he won't tell us why.

Which...is....odd.
Last night Joe D. stated that Boyle hasn't fully recovered from the dreaded "lower leg injury." FWIW

Reaction Score
For one reason or another, Boyle isn't playing because of some type of challenge.......be it physical or otherwise. I'm not sure if, not being an employee, he falls under HIPPA regulations and the coach can't discuss ailments in detail. All I know is he can't play.......I don't care if the cause is a hangnail or something more serious.

I'm quite sure HCBD is in discussion with Tim and/or whomever else is necessary concerning when/if/how much to play him.

If it was a personality conflict beyond repair, I'm sure Tim may have made a decision to leave for another program.

Reaction Score
For one reason or another, Boyle isn't playing because of some type of challenge..be it physical or otherwise. I'm not sure if, not being an employee, he falls under HIPPA regulations and the coach can't discuss ailments in detail. All I know is he can't play..I don't care if the cause is a hangnail or something more serious.

I'm quite sure HCBD is in discussion with Tim and/or whomever else is necessary concerning when/if/how much to play him.

If it was a personality conflict beyond repair, I'm sure Tim may have made a decision to leave for another program.

This would be the first time in history that I've heard of a player not be injured, but have pain, but is ok to play less than 10 snaps per game.

This is just bizarre.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Last night Joe D. stated that Boyle hasn't fully recovered from the dreaded "lower leg injury." FWIW

Its NOT an injury - its a pain.

Was there a follow up as to why he was playing if he was injured?

Reaction Score
This would be the first time in history that I've heard of a player not be injured, but have pain, but is ok to play less than 10 snaps per game.

This is just bizarre.

Jimmy, players play limited snaps with pain, and no injury, all the time. This is not the first time, or ever, the last time, that players will get limited snaps during a game, and be playing with pain.

This just happens to be odd, because this player plays the QB position.

The explanation that is lacking, has nothing to do with Boyle, and whatever is bothering him between his pinky toe and knee, that's the lower leg right?

The explanation that is lacking is why the hell we're still rotating so many players on offense including QB's, and how this is helping young players develop.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
HIPPA has nothing to do with being an employee, contractor, or otherwise. It has to do with personal privacy.

Reaction Score
This team is so inept. Pain but no injury? Does Boyle think he is going to play forever? If it's that painful then it is an injury. And it isn't an injury then he should play. Nobody is ever 100%.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This team is so inept. Pain but no injury? Does Boyle think he is going to play forever? If it's that painful then it is an injury. And it isn't an injury then he should play. Nobody is ever 100%.

Thank you - Football players play with pain ALL THE TIME - Injury not so much.

Yes - Carl is correct - players are told they will play limited snaps - I never heard of 5 snaps as the limitation - thats where it get 'strange'.

Reaction Score
Jimmy, players play limited snaps with pain, and no injury, all the time. This is not the first time, or ever, the last time, that players will get limited snaps during a game, and be playing with pain.

This just happens to be odd, because this player plays the QB position.

The explanation that is lacking, has nothing to do with Boyle, and whatever is bothering him between his pinky toe and knee, that's the lower leg right?

The explanation that is lacking is why the hell we're still rotating so many players on offense including QB's, and how this is helping young players develop.

With all due respect Carl you still don't think that anyone ever asks out of a game by tapping their helmet.

This is nonsense. He is either hurt and can't play or he is not hurt and can play. If he's not healthy enough to play an entire game he shouldn't be playing.

This does not happen all the time.

Reaction Score
It is possible that Boyle does have some pain/injury/booboo and that playing on Saturday was more painful than he had hoped. That would actually explain A. his limited number of snaps, and B. the decision to put Foxx in to take snaps at garbage time when you'd expect your backup/future quarterback to see some action.

Reaction Score
It is possible that Boyle does have some pain/injury/booboo and that playing on Saturday was more painful than he had hoped. That would actually explain A. his limited number of snaps, and B. the decision to put Foxx in to take snaps at garbage time when you'd expect your backup/future quarterback to see some action.

That's plausible. But just say so. This secrecy serves no purpose at all other to irritate the die hard fanbase.

Reaction Score
Can't Diaco do one thing that is normal? Everything about the way this team is run is just bizarre.

Reaction Score
With all due respect Carl you still don't think that anyone ever asks out of a game by tapping their helmet.

This is nonsense. He is either hurt and can't play or he is not hurt and can play. If he's not healthy enough to play an entire game he shouldn't be playing.

This does not happen all the time.

If he's healthy enough to take a single snap, he's healthy enough to play an entire game. I don't get your point, other than you've seen enough of Whitmer, I suppose and want to see Boyle play.

I have seen nothing of Boyle in the past 2 seasons that tells me he's ready to help this team win now, and if he's playing significantly less than 100%, no reason for me to expect he's going to improve those chances to win.

Why he's playing 5-10 reps a game at all? That's a question, that's part of a much bigger picture question, that I don't see any reasonable explanation for. Playing hurt, injured, or with a booboo on his toe or something, has got nothing to do with those questions.

Reaction Score
Jimmy,
I completely agree. If Boyle can't play just say so. If he tried and couldn't go, that's not a crime. Imagine how different it would have been if Diaco had just said "Boyle tried to play but was hampered by his sore ankle (or other body part), so we decided to give Foxx some game experience in case we need to use him." Seems totally rational to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom