So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed that it is still good beer but I just can't get past the fact that it is not a true micro-brew. Don't get me wrong, I'd still drink it though!

Yeah, but I hate the feeling that I'm being played. There are too many other beers out there. I'm only drinking Goose Island if someone else is buying.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not much of a beer expert. We were up for the marathon and we intended on taking a tour of one of the breweries up there, but time got away from us. (The weather was horrific.)

We went to a restaurant on Church on Sunday and they had a ton of local beers. I had something from Otter Creek (did not like it) and then had to choose between Switchback and the Alchemist - went with the Alchemist just because someone said that I'd like it.

Not sure if I did or didn't - really, really unique. I've never had anything like it - it tasted a bit like an orange peel.

Fishy - What you had there is right now considered the best beer in the world. Check out the ratings on Beeradvocate.com. Extremely hard to get and for all the HopHeads out there, everything is compared to Heady Topper.

Reaction Score
Are you guys on the UNTAPPD (sp?) app on the phone? I just got on it, helps you find track and rate your brews. Like Foursquare you can friend, and see who is drinking what locally.

I am with Fishy, not a huge aficionado though I do like to remember what and when.

I don't have this problem. Less than a mile from me is a place with 40 taps mostly tuned to great Belgian beers. All the locals complain it's snobby for charging $7/8 a beer (as though small brew kegs from Europe could cost less).

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Fishy - What you had there is right now considered the best beer in the world. Check out the ratings on Beeradvocate.com. Extremely hard to get and for all the HopHeads out there, everything is compared to Heady Topper.
Sorry, there are a lot of beers that are great but most "experts" consider the West Vleteren 12 to be the best beer in the world. Here is it's BA page http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545. I've started using ratebeer more than BA though as it's got the 2 rating system -style and overall.

Kate the Great by Portsmouth Brewing was generally considered the top US beer, but they no longer brew it.

Reaction Score
Sorry, there are a lot of beers that are great but most "experts" consider the West Vleteren 12 to be the best beer in the world. Here is it's BA page http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545. I've started using ratebeer more than BA though as it's got the 2 rating system -style and overall.

Kate the Great by Portsmouth Brewing was generally considered the top US beer, but they no longer brew it.

Here's the BA page for Heady Topper. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814

Here's the Top 250 list, which I was thinking of in my original post... http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top

Anyway, when you get up that high in the Top 250, it is each beer drinker's personal preference. Someday, I hope to try Westy 12, as I have heard all about it. I just found it interesting that a guy like Fishy "literally" runs into a beer like Heady Topper and has no idea that it is arguably one of the Top Beers in the world right now and definitely one of the most talked about beers.

Reaction Score
Here's the BA page for Heady Topper. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814

Here's the Top 250 list, which I was thinking of in my original post... http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top

Anyway, when you get up that high in the Top 250, it is each beer drinker's personal preference. Someday, I hope to try Westy 12, as I have heard all about it. I just found it interesting that a guy like Fishy "literally" runs into a beer like Heady Topper and has no idea that it is arguably one of the Top Beers in the world right now and definitely one of the most talked about beers.

Heady Topper is fantastic and having a friend who lives up the road from the cannery keeps it in my beer fridge. I still prefer Bell's Hopslam over it. If you are out in Vermont also try Lawson's Finest Liquids and Hill Farmstead's beers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I gather that now after having read about it, but on Sunday, I basically looked at a big chalk board on the wall of the Scuffer's Ale House and just chose something made in Vermont.

I'm not even certain that I liked it, but it was so out of the ordinary that just about everyone at the table had a sip of it. Again, it tasted like an orange peel to me.

I got a kick out of the can which encourages you not to be a "" and to recycle.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not much of a beer expert. We were up for the marathon and we intended on taking a tour of one of the breweries up there, but time got away from us. (The weather was horrific.)

We went to a restaurant on Church on Sunday and they had a ton of local beers. I had something from Otter Creek (did not like it) and then had to choose between Switchback and the Alchemist - went with the Alchemist just because someone said that I'd like it.

Not sure if I did or didn't - really, really unique. I've never had anything like it - it tasted a bit like an orange peel.
Never thought I'd ever read the phrase "Church on Sunday" in one of Fishy's posts. World is definitely coming to an end. BTW, next time you are in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, try a Moose Drool. A real man's beer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, but I hate the feeling that I'm being played. There are too many other beers out there. I'm only drinking Goose Island if someone else is buying.

Free beer is the best beer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd ever read the phrase "Church on Sunday" in one of Fishy's posts. World is definitely coming to an end. BTW, next time you are in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, try a Moose Drool. A real man's beer.

The pride of Missoula!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If it helps restore your faith, I left a word out - I meant to say that the restaurant was on Church Street.

That's the brick pedestrian mall that makes up the heart of Burlington's downtown area.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If it helps restore your faith, I left a word out - I meant to say that the restaurant was on Church Street.

That's the brick pedestrian mall that makes up the heart of Burlington's downtown area.

Now its really confusing.

There's a pedestrian mall inside a Church on a street in Burlington? I guess that works if the church is vacant.

You have stuck to the basics and just said you had a real interesting beer in Vermont.

Drumguy

Reaction Score

Just for a side note Church Street used to be open to drive all the way up to the Unitarian Church at the end and the big "thing" for the locals was to get loaded and drive their pickup from Main or College St. up Church St. on Saturday nights and beep at all the UVM coeds and yell at Canadians. Lived in Burlington back in the Ben & Jerry days and hung with them and Nector of Nector's.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Just for a side note Church Street used to be open to drive all the way up to the Unitarian Church at the end and the big "thing" for the locals was to get loaded and drive their pickup from Main or College St. up Church St. on Saturday nights and beep at all the UVM coeds and yell at Canadians. Lived in Burlington back in the Ben & Jerry days and hung with them and Nector of Nector's.
I have a "source" which I've bought from - it's $120 or so from a UK person for a 6-pack mixed of 2 Blondes, 2-8's and 2 -12s. They just had a limited release in the US of a 6 pack with a glass.
My son was there last summer and he and his friend went back a few times and ended up bringing 36 12s back. Interesting bottle as well - no label, it's all on the cap.

I'm more of an outmeal stout person myself but I do love the 3 Floyds (any) when I can get it (have a bottle of Dreadnaught in my fridge).

Reaction Score
Well, I tried Heady Topper today. It is kind of funny tasting but it is also very flavorful. I could enjoy one now and then but I don't think I'd ever have two, just way too filling.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371777462.256076.jpg

Reaction Score
My wife and I try to sample local flavors whenever we travel. In Boston last weekend I told the bartender I wanted to sample all the local flavors and I'll start with the Harpoon IPA. Guy next to me says "No brainer ... order the Sam's." Bartender says ... "Good luck with that ... Sam's is brewed and bottled in Cincinnatti ..." :)

It's pretty funny that a lot of people flock to Boston to tour Sam Adams, or at least visit it while there and it's only a test brewery for experimental brews.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had Arrogant Bastard Ale last week and an Abita Ally Gator. Both were real good.

For game 7 tonight it's Shiner Ruby Redbird.

Reaction Score

I was in Belgium this past winter and happened to pickup two bottles of Westy 12 in the package store. Apparently the owner breaks the monks rules and resells it. Just opened them up to celebrate Fathers Day with my old man. Was definitely the best beer I've ever had, but if you want something that's very similar and a little more readily available try the Rocherfort 10.

Can pick up a bottle here but pretty pricey: http://www.beerboxx.com/trappist-westvleteren-12-33cl.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
BeerGraphs.com is a new site run by the FanGraphs baseball nerds. Take a look.

Reaction Score
St. Bernardus abt 12 is Westy 12 but actually available.

Same yeast as Westy. I love Westy but it's quite over hyped and way too hard to get for a decent price.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love Westy but it's quite over hyped and way too hard to get for a decent price.

The youngsters out there may not believe it, but they used to say the same thing about Coors.

Reaction Score
Tried Goose IPA and Summer today. Thought the IPA was great and the Summer is pretty good, I prefer it to Sam Adams Summer Ale.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom