Beer | Page 130 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Beervana Fest Beer List is up. Some new breweries and interesting stuff.

I've got to get this: Zapata Bot – G Bot DIPA aged in Anejo Tequilla Barrels abv: 9%

Sierra Nevada is bringing some really cool stuff.

Reaction Score
Fully agree w/. Focal > Heady. I also agree w/. #NoFilter.....nice to see them reinvent themselves.

I want to add that the new DDH from Counter Weight released last week was stellar. One of the best CT beers that I've ever had.

Reaction Score
I tried the new Hooker at the Colt building. Really nice atmosphere, and I recommend you check it out. They have all their normal beers and then 1-2 that they produce at the experimental brewery attached. They have liquor and wine too for those non beer drinkers

Reaction Score
does anyone else feel the beer market is way over saturated? I feel like breweries are opening up everywhere every other week. It's pretty spectacular to have so many options but at some point, how are these places able to sustain? I guess it is like any type of restaurant, those that arent great just close down.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
does anyone else feel the beer market is way over saturated? I feel like breweries are opening up everywhere every other week. It's pretty spectacular to have so many options but at some point, how are these places able to sustain? I guess it is like any type of restaurant, those that arent great just close down.
I’ve been thinking about that for a while. I think we’ll start to see breweries like Harpoon and Long Trail struggle to be honest. They aren’t mega producers like Coors, Bud, etc or even Sierra Nevada, Sams but they don’t really appeal to people who are obsessed with microbrews. I don’t see how they fit in the current market. I still buy a 12 of one or the other pretty often but I’m not the type who is obsessed with only drinking the latest DIPA. It feels like everyone either drinks cheap beer or the fanciest thing they can find and there’s not much room in the middle.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about that for a while. I think we’ll start to see breweries like Harpoon and Long Trail struggle to be honest. They aren’t mega producers like Coors, Bud, etc or even Sierra Nevada, Sams but they don’t really appeal to people who are obsessed with microbrews. I don’t see how they fit in the current market. I still buy a 12 of one or the other pretty often but I’m not the type who is obsessed with only drinking the latest DIPA. It feels like everyone either drinks cheap beer or the fanciest thing they can find and there’s not much room in the middle.

fwiw, Long Trail is pretty much the only VT beer one can buy in the Pittsburgh area, so its distribution area might keep it around awhile. Plus it's more traditional German style than the larger micros with lower ABVs. Harpoon OTOH, yeah, I can see them going by the wayside.

My typical go-to is Great Lakes, but I'll pick up Long Trail Ale from time to time. I don't do a ton of >6% ABVs these days. Penalities for driving are too stiff, so that limits me to one big beer at most. At home I'm more prone to drink something that doesn't overwhelm whatever I'm eating. If I want to go big ABV there are a 20-ish micros in Pittsburgh metro where I can get a growler. But for regular drinking, Long Trail is solid. Good BBQ beer.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
fwiw, Long Trail is pretty much the only VT beer one can buy in the Pittsburgh area, so its distribution area might keep it around awhile. Plus it's more traditional German style than the larger micros with lower ABVs. Harpoon OTOH, yeah, I can see them going by the wayside.

My typical go-to is Great Lakes, but I'll pick up Long Trail Ale from time to time. I don't do a ton of >6% ABVs these days. Penalities for driving are too stiff, so that limits me to one big beer at most. At home I'm more prone to drink something that doesn't overwhelm whatever I'm eating. If I want to go big ABV there are a 20-ish micros in Pittsburgh metro where I can get a growler. But for regular drinking, Long Trail is solid. Good BBQ beer.
I think what could save these mid-sized breweries is what you said in your last line. “Good BBQ beer.” For my tailgates we almost always get a couple samplers of Harpoon/Long Trail. In a way they are the Bud Light for craft beer drinkers.

Reaction Score
Montauk Brewing Co. Watermelon beer
I went to the hamptons this past weekend and ended up at Montauk Brewing Co. The watermelon beer didn't appeal to me but I loved the Wave Chaser IPA....one of the best IPA I've had locally in a long long time. Citrusy and very flavorful without the piney finish

Reaction Score
I went to the hamptons this past weekend and ended up at Montauk Brewing Co. The watermelon beer didn't appeal to me but I loved the Wave Chaser IPA....one of the best IPA I've had locally in a long long time. Citrusy and very flavorful without the piney finish
Do you know if the Double IPA was on tap? That's my favorite beer there by far.

Reaction Score
Do you know if the Double IPA was on tap? That's my favorite beer there by far.
Yes...and I had that one too. It was tremendous. (Had the session IPA too and it was good but the other 2 were exceptional)

Reaction Score
Yes...and I had that one too. It was tremendous. (Had the session IPA too and it was good but the other 2 were exceptional)
Good to know man, I was born and raised out there so cool to see someone who has experienced it on here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think what could save these mid-sized breweries is what you said in your last line. “Good BBQ beer.” For my tailgates we almost always get a couple samplers of Harpoon/Long Trail. In a way they are the Bud Light for craft beer drinkers.

This is true. The vast majority of craft beer drinkers never visit a brewery and have no idea about these more sought after beers. To them, Sam, Harpoon, Long Trail and Sierra Nevada are craft. Long Trail acquired Otter Creek now, and both have really improved what the offer in the last few years. Otter Creek did lose its head brewer Mike to Hill Farmstead.

Still @Letsgohuskies11 is right, it's over-saturated in stores and in big chain restaurants, where there is a big battle among the mid sized breweries owned by the big conglomerates and the big craft players like Sam, Sierra, Stone etc.
That's why the hottest breweries are mostly going with a no or low distribution model. The real craft beer geeks aren't even going into liquor stores anymore. The breweries I think are going to struggle are those that are neither (a) big nor (b) great. Lord Hobo, Grey Sail, Baxter, Magic Hat, I could probably name two dozen. The breweries owned by ABInbev like Goose, Ten Barrel etc. are going to be hard to displace on store shelves, along with Lagunitas and Ballast Point with ties to the big guys.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is true. The vast majority of craft beer drinkers never visit a brewery and have no idea about these more sought after beers. To them, Sam, Harpoon, Long Trail and Sierra Nevada are craft. Long Trail acquired Otter Creek now, and both have really improved what the offer in the last few years. Otter Creek did lose its head brewer Mike to Hill Farmstead.

Still @Letsgohuskies11 is right, it's over-saturated in stores and in big chain restaurants, where there is a big battle among the mid sized breweries owned by the big conglomerates and the big craft players like Sam, Sierra, Stone etc.
That's why the hottest breweries are mostly going with a no or low distribution model. The real craft beer geeks aren't even going into liquor stores anymore. The breweries I think are going to struggle are those that are neither (a) big nor (b) great. Lord Hobo, Grey Sail, Baxter, Magic Hat, I could probably name two dozen. The breweries owned by ABInbev like Goose, Ten Barrel etc. are going to be hard to displace on store shelves, along with Lagunitas and Ballast Point with ties to the big guys.
Basically what I said with Long Trail and Harpoon early. Harpoon may be a bad example though as they have the big successful brewpub. Magic Hat is a better example. Grey Sail has Captains Daughter which is tough to come by and highly thought of by DIPA snobs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

The main reason to go into business is to grow the business and sell it. And that's going to be a challenge for the nano guys with one location and limited distribution outside of some kegs at local bars.

This is going to sound like a generalization and indictment on the types of folks who frequent nanos/small micros, but for most micro/nanobrewers, if they make the top of the heap, are only there temporarily as the types of consumers they attract are always looking for the next juicier fruit beer/obscure style and cooler place to take their IG selfies.

It's not that a lot of them don't make decent beers, but there isn't enough differentiation in the core product to be sustainable without wider distribution - you're already seeing microbrewers try to differentiate themselves with food and non-core elements, often just to tread water.

I'm in the coffee industry. I'm older, so I'm neither the prime demo for either the new trends in "third wave" coffee or for sour/fruit/high ABV beers. But there are a lot of similarities in younger consumers chasing flavor/taste trends (and even cult of personality) and what multinationals look for when targeting acquisitions. Long story short, you can't just be craft, IMO. You've got to be a savvy marketer and businessperson, and that's going to be more important for survival for most nanos/small micros than the actual product. And that includes distribution and vendor support.

Reaction Score
Stony creek kinda breaks the mold. They don't make great beer, it's ok but they will stick around because of their brewery/ where it's located.

That place prints money throughout the whole summer it's insane. Every weekend from open to close it might be the busiest business on the shoreline. Winter they don't do horrible either as they have many people doing events and parties

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The main reason to go into business is to grow the business and sell it. And that's going to be a challenge for the nano guys with one location and limited distribution outside of some kegs at local bars.

This is going to sound like a generalization and indictment on the types of folks who frequent nanos/small micros, but for most micro/nanobrewers, if they make the top of the heap, are only there temporarily as the types of consumers they attract are always looking for the next juicier fruit beer/obscure style and cooler place to take their IG selfies.

It's not that a lot of them don't make decent beers, but there isn't enough differentiation in the core product to be sustainable without wider distribution - you're already seeing microbrewers try to differentiate themselves with food and non-core elements, often just to tread water.

I'm in the coffee industry. I'm older, so I'm neither the prime demo for either the new trends in "third wave" coffee or for sour/fruit/high ABV beers. But there are a lot of similarities in younger consumers chasing flavor/taste trends (and even cult of personality) and what multinationals look for when targeting acquisitions. Long story short, you can't just be craft, IMO. You've got to be a savvy marketer and businessperson, and that's going to be more important for survival for most nanos/small micros than the actual product. And that includes distribution and vendor support.

I guess I'm not seeing that. Not all all really. Hill Farmstead does no adverting, and sells only on premise except a handful of draft accounts. And they are picky about those. They had a big expansion. Alchemist had a big expansion and is still selling all they make on premise. Trillium has now had three expansions, charges a ton for the beer, and when I went there Saturday there must have been 150 people there at 2:30 in the afternoon. I watch people, often older people (like me) walk out of there with $1000 in beer. Their next plan is to buy a farm in Connecticut, grow hops and maybe barley, and open yet another brewery. Treehouse just built a new massive brewery and still has huge lines. Small places like Foley Brothers...which is down a dirt road, and had a hand written sharpie on cardboard sign when I first saw it, is doing well. Foam in Burlington is killing it. I go to all of them, and it isn't just hipsters or millennials. I'm 51 now, and I see people my age and older all the time, or families with kids.

Meanwhile, most of the small places are not getting that kind of activity. Look at RI, where a bunch opened up. One of them is the clear winner and now has Treehouse like lines, Tilted Barn. The reason? The beer is just that much better. I agree you need a business plan and some savvy, especially if the beer is merely "good". Hooker in CT, yes, it needs that. So do all the mediocre start ups (some of which are not even "good"). They won't all make it, and there is almost no room to get into the distro side of the business now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I guess I'm not seeing that. Not all all really. Hill Farmstead does no adverting, and sells only on premise except a handful of draft accounts. And they are picky about those. They had a big expansion. Alchemist had a big expansion and is still selling all they make on premise. Trillium has now had three expansions, charges a ton for the beer, and when I went there Saturday there must have been 150 people there at 2:30 in the afternoon. I watch people, often older people (like me) walk out of there with $1000 in beer. Their next plan is to buy a farm in Connecticut, grow hops and maybe barley, and open yet another brewery. Treehouse just built a new massive brewery and still has huge lines. Small places like Foley Brothers...which is down a dirt road, and had a hand written sharpie on cardboard sign when I first saw it, is doing well. Foam in Burlington is killing it. I go to all of them, and it isn't just hipsters or millennials. I'm 51 now, and I see people my age and older all the time, or families with kids.

Meanwhile, most of the small places are not getting that kind of activity. Look at RI, where a bunch opened up. One of them is the clear winner and now has Treehouse like lines, Tilted Barn. The reason? The beer is just that much better. I agree you need a business plan and some savvy, especially if the beer is merely "good". Hooker in CT, yes, it needs that. So do all the mediocre start ups (some of which are not even "good"). They won't all make it, and there is almost no room to get into the distro side of the business now.

I'm not going to suggest what you said here is incorrect. But it is something I see in Rust Belt urban areas.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of stopping by Treehouse this Saturday to pick up some beer to go. For those that have been is there a long line if I arrive right when it opens at 11?

Reaction Score

My brother in Colchester said a brewery is opening just down the road from him. Apparently they bought a farm 2 years ago and have been growing hops and selling them to craft brewers. They just got a permit to open brewery and its suppose to open in the next year. He's hoping it's treehouse, trillium quality so he doesn't have to drive to those places

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not going to suggest what you said here is incorrect. But it is something I see in Rust Belt urban areas.

Location is everything! I'm not saying this works everywhere. The market in the midwest is different. In San Diego, the beer is good, but people want an "experience" as well. North Carolina is different still. New England though, has developed a fairly epic beer tourism model now, and the majority of locations are "all about the beer". Harpoon is huge, and I guarantee that their tasting room on the water in Boston doesn't get 1/10th the business as Trillium in Canton, hidden in an industrial park. The Pacific Northwest is somewhere between San Diego and New England in its approach. But even Foam in Burlington was smart to open right on Lake Champlain. The beer is great, but had it been just ok, the location would still attract.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My brother in Colchester said a brewery is opening just down the road from him. Apparently they bought a farm 2 years ago and have been growing hops and selling them to craft brewers. They just got a permit to open brewery and its suppose to open in the next year. He's hoping it's treehouse, trillium quality so he doesn't have to drive to those places

That is roughly where Trillium wanted to locate. Could actually be them. They are just printing money at that place.

Reaction Score

I think Magic Hat is one of the most overrated breweries. If you go up to Burlington, dont even bother going to it, theres a bunch of better breweries within a few miles of it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom