Beer | Page 69 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I had a good one last night that I picked up at the Middlebury, VT Co-op. It is a doppelbock called Kloster Andechs, from a German monastery outside Munich (I think). It was fantastic, and it only cost $2.99 for pint bottle. Next time I'm up there, I'll definitely get more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Need some Florida beer help. Just picked up a six-pack Jai Alai based on the recs here. Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Right now I'm drinking $3 Presidente's at a tiki bar.
I'd say pretty much anything from Cigar City if you like the style. I've never had a bad beer from them and found them to do very well across all the styles they make. My wife loves wheat beer and theirs was excellent.

Reaction Score
I think the treehouse news is great news. I already drive 85 miles once a week to get there another 10 miles is nothing. It also sounds like they will have julius and green on the regular and being open 5 days will greatly increase the customer experience while not having to show up hours in advance to get whatever beer it is you crave

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same here it sucks I'm in ellington so it's a pretty routine and quick 25 minute drive

It isn't any further from I-84, you just go east on Rt 20 instead of west. But it will be easier from metro Boston, as people can jump on Rt 20 in Auburn.

Reaction Score
I lean toward witbiers, in part due to my love of Belgium beers' but, I am trying to stay true to this damn Paleo diet I am on and thus beer is supposed to be a no-no. So, now I am exploring hard ciders as they are somewhat Paleo friendly. So far, I have tried a few and the best 'main' labels and to date, Harpoon's Craft Cider is my favorite. Other suggestions?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I lean toward witbiers, in part due to my love of Belgium beers' but, I am trying to stay true to this damn Paleo diet I am on and thus beer is supposed to be a no-no. So, now I am exploring hard ciders as they are somewhat Paleo friendly. So far, I have tried a few and the best 'main' labels and to date, Harpoon's Craft Cider is my favorite. Other suggestions?
Citizen Cider is the best imo. From Burlington, VT. Just started being distributed in CT a few months ago. Their Unified Press is their standard cider and I think it strikes a perfect balance, not too sweet, not too dry. I rotate among that and their Dirty Mayor and Full Nelson. Dirty Mayor is flavored with ginger, which I love. But you have to really love ginger because it is pretty bracing with a very strong, natural ginger taste, not unlike good ginger ale. Full Nelson is dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops, and it is essentially a hop head's cider. Very dry, like lip-puckering dry.

I keep all three in stock at all times because it's good to switch back and forth among them so you don't get tired of any one taste.

ETA: Damn, I forgot the most important part for you: Wit's Up is their cider made with Belgian Wit yeast. You should probably seek that one out based on your preferences.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I got lucky on Sunday after the game (when it comes to beer, anyway). We stopped in at Pub 32 for a drink, and they had Hobbit Juice from Beer'd Brewing on tap. Been wanting to try that one for awhile; was very good. Then we went to Artisan Burger Company in Manchester, and they had Captain's Daughter on tap! Been wanting to try that one forever...but I was a little underwhelmed. It was good, but not as great as I had heard.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm sitting at my desk at work with a Pallate Mallet (Back East Brewing). For me, this beer is better in a glass than a can. Still, a quality brew.

To Rico...my first Captains Daughter (Gray Sails Brewing, Eli Cannon's tap) was excellent. Met expectations. I put right there side by side with Ghandi Bot (NEBCO).
Just below Lawson's Finest SOS.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I got lucky on Sunday after the game (when it comes to beer, anyway). We stopped in at Pub 32 for a drink, and they had Hobbit Juice from Beer'd Brewing on tap. Been wanting to try that one for awhile; was very good. Then we went to Artisan Burger Company in Manchester, and they had Captain's Daughter on tap! Been wanting to try that one forever...but I was a little underwhelmed. It was good, but not as great as I had heard.

I am done with Captain's Daughter. That is the most overhyped beer ever. The first time I had it, it tasted like drinking pure vanilla extract. Heard it was a bad batch. A few weeks ago I had it again and it was way off. Malty, boozy and it made me feel like crap.

Went to Beer'd for the first time a few weeks ago. Nice to be able to taste test. Got a fill of Hobbit Juice, but their stuff is not as flavorful as TH, imo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To Rico...my first Captains Daughter (Gray Sails Brewing, Eli Cannon's tap) was excellent. Met expectations. I put right there side by side with Ghandi Bot (NEBCO).
Just below Lawson's Finest SOS.
I am done with Captain's Daughter. That is the most overhyped beer ever. The first time I had it, it tasted like drinking pure vanilla extract. Heard it was a bad batch. A few weeks ago I had it again and it was way off. Malty, boozy and it made me feel like crap.

Went to Beer'd for the first time a few weeks ago. Nice to be able to taste test. Got a fill of Hobbit Juice, but their stuff is not as flavorful as TH, imo.
I guess I've been lucky--never had a bad Captain's Daughter. I've only had it on tap once, at Eli Cannon's, and it was great; have had dozens of cans and all have been very good. I agree with Dove, just a notch below SoS.

Beer'd is the one that has consistently underwhelmed me, and the last few I've had from them have had a Belgian-y taste to them that made me wonder if they have a problem with their yeast.

Speaking of which, I've been having that problem with Kent Falls IPAs even more so. Totally inconsistent, and I suspect that their Brett yeast has infected their system. The Sweatpants IPA I had last week tasted nothing like the first time they made it, and nothing like an IPA. It tasted like a Belgian ale. I think these guys have hit a hard bump in the road and are struggling to maintain consistency.

Reaction Score
I picked up a bomber of Knee Deep Lupulin River imperial IPA. Top tier...I'd put it right up there with SOS , GBot, etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I picked up a bomber of Knee Deep Lupulin River imperial IPA. Top tier...I'd put it right up there with SOS , GBot, etc.
I've been wondering about Knee Deep after seeing it on tap at Prime 16 recently. Haven't tried it yet, but I noticed that they had a tap-takeover at Prime yesterday with several of their beers, including that one. I'll have to check it out. Haven't heard anything about it until your review.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Headed out tonight for a trifecta...

1) Boneyard RPM IPA
1) Boneyard Hop Venom Double IPA
1) Boneyard Notorious Triple IPA

Highly recommend to anyone visiting Bend, OR or the Portland/Seattle area.

http://boneyardbeer.com

Haven't been out to Bend in a while but I loved Deschutes. Is that still going strong?

Reaction Score
Haven't been out to Bend in a while but I loved Deschutes. Is that still going strong?
Deschutes is still going very strong and their Mirror Pond is ubiquitous. Jubel Ale in the winter is tough to beat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Deschutes is still going very strong and their Mirror Pond is ubiquitous. Jubel Ale in the winter is tough to beat.
I still remember the dry-hopped Mirror Pond I had on cask there more than 20 years ago. I loved it so much that I bought the shirt and still wear it proudly. Loved the fact that there's a Mirror Pond at UConn too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom