Beer | Page 273 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Platinum Fern. As usual, close to perfect from Treehouse.

IMG_2907.jpeg

Reaction Score
Very good Dunkel from Hoax in East Haven. Had this at the Westville Music Bowl last night. The only brown in a sea of IPAs. Was very pleased.

IMG_4059.jpeg

Reaction Score
Very good Dunkel from Hoax in East Haven. Had this at the Westville Music Bowl last night. The only brown in a sea of IPAs. Was very pleased.

View attachment 103067
I seriously had no idea that Hoax was still in business. I love a great Dunkel. Very few American breweries have mastered the style. Fortunately, for those of us in CT, Fox Farm’s Helmhold is probably the best in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
I seriously had no idea that Hoax was still in business. I love a great Dunkel. Very few American breweries have mastered the style. Fortunately, for those of us in CT, Fox Farm’s Helmhold is probably the best in the Northeast.
Yeah, Dunkels, ESBs, Amber ales, anything malt forward and NOT an IPA are like hen's teeth. I'll have to check out that Helmhold.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Normally I’m one of the people who complain about Pumpkin beers in August. Yet I had a good one at Barnstable Brewing last weekend. Evidently fresh, has a nice vanilla note and wasn’t over spiced.
IMG_3749.jpeg

Reaction Score
That looks epic. It also looks like the kind of overly heavy, boozy DIPA I've been avoiding lately. Sometimes it's just too much. Where is Fidens?
Located in Albany. Some are turbid. Typical New England IPa body. None of their DIPAs (or infrequent TIPAs if you venture into double digit ABV territory) are boozy. At all. Like Treehouse, they are masters of masking ABV levels. Incredibly balanced.

Reaction Score
Normally I’m one of the people who complain about Pumpkin beers in August. Yet I had a good one at Barnstable Brewing last weekend. Evidently fresh, has a nice vanilla note and wasn’t over spiced.
View attachment 103154
Ok, my friend. This is a WILD coincidence. My family just pulled up to our Airbnb in Hyannis for the week, 0.9 miles from Barnstable Brewing. Already prepped my wife that we are definitely hitting Treehouse Sandwich. But I’m game to try something new within walking distance if you recommend.

Reaction Score
Ok, my friend. This is a WILD coincidence. My family just pulled up to our Airbnb in Hyannis for the week, 0.9 miles from Barnstable Brewing. Already prepped my wife that we are definitely hitting Treehouse Sandwich. But I’m game to try something new within walking distance if you recommend.
I mean do it anyways. At this point I treat breweries as an opportunity to see what people are up to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's a good spot. Beers are mostly good but I am not a fan of their main IPA, Jesuit Juice. It isn't bad, but not my style. Worth a stop in.

Cape Cod Beer is also in Hyannis, and the beers are meh (had a pretty good Oyster stout Saturday) but I like it as a location that often has live music and is just fun.

As for Cape Cod breweries. 1. Treehouse. 2. Aquatic (Falmouth) 3. Naukabout (Mashpee). Naukabout has a big outdoor setting, sometimes with water views. Beers are good but with small pours. Naukabout Brewing Also has live music Saturdays.

There's a new small brewery in Hyannis called Oak Bay. I drove by it but haven't had the beer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I mean do it anyways. At this point I treat breweries as an opportunity to see what people are up to.
Absolutely. I think these small breweries popping up everywhere have become America's Pub Culture. We don't really have what the English & Irish have with local pubs in suburbs. But I see local breweries doing a robust business even when the beer is below average (yes I mean you Ravenous). Just have to create a friendly, fun environment and it becomes a local hangout.

In some ways you don't want your local to be putting out top level beers, because it won't stay what it was.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I think these small breweries popping up everywhere have become America's Pub Culture. We don't really have what the English & Irish have with local pubs in suburbs. But I see local breweries doing a robust business even when the beer is below average (yes I mean you Ravenous). Just have to create a friendly, fun environment and it becomes a local hangout.

In some ways you don't want your local to be putting out top level beers, because it won't stay what it was.
This is true...

I've been fighting with the owner of my local and he's happy go lucky enough to tolerate it but they make a lot of obvious mistakes (including the time they sold an infected batch). He's a good person and I want him to do well but the things they do sometimes is mind boggling. However, as somebody pointed it out, if they weren't the screwups they are then the place wouldn't be what it is.

Reaction Score
Fidens continues to lead the way in the East Coast IPA arms race. Just spectacular.

View attachment 103072
That place is a hidden gem. Most people don't know about it. They relatively recently moved into a new spot in Albany. A place around here, Rail Trail Flatbread Company (Hudson, MA and Milford, MA), serves their beer on tap sometimes. Wish I could get the cans around here.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
A gift from my sis in law. Purchased at Grand Central in NYC.

A Westie IIPA called 4242. A collab from Weldwerks and Fremont Brewing out in Colorado.

Damned tasty today.
1000010320.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That place is a hidden gem. Most people don't know about it. They relatively recently moved into a new spot in Albany. A place around here, Rail Trail Flatbread Company (Hudson, MA and Milford, MA), serves their beer on tap sometimes. Wish I could get the cans around here.
Ooh thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to go to Rail Trail in Milford since it opened. Hoping it can bring a little life to downtown Milford.

Reaction Score
I tried my first pickle beer last night. The foundation of it was like a yeasty summer ale and the sour notes and dill notes weren't overpowering, but...noticeable.

Reaction Score
I tried my first pickle beer last night. The foundation of it was like a yeasty summer ale and the sour notes and dill notes weren't overpowering, but...noticeable.
Only a small fraction of breweries who attempt brewing pickle ales actually succeed. Most border on horrible. Four Quarters in Winooski, VT makes a nice one. But the best pickle beer by far is brewed by Plan Bee Farm Brewery in Poughkeepsie, NY. The name of the beer is simply “Pickle”. No pickles. Just cukes and dill grown on the farm. They do a variant called Pickleback, aged in whiskey barrels, which is exceptional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom