So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Overrated. Because it was one of the first IPAs and you couldn't get it outside the brewery.

Counterpoint - it’s probably not overrated. It’s just that it was first and you beer folk are almost supernaturally pretentious so you have to say that it’s overrated to keep up appearances as you wait in a 45 minute line to buy two $14 cans of whatever the new hot thing is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Went to several breweries in Connecticut when I was back there a couple weeks ago. Here are the breweries I've been to in CT. so far, I may be forgetting a couple but this is most of them. Ask any questions about them if you're interested...

Bad Dog
Bad Sons
New England Brewing Co.
12% Beer Project
No Worries
Counterweight Hamden
Hog River
New Park
Alvarium
Coles Road
Kent Falls
Housatonic Brewing
Norbrook
Little Red Barn
Legitimus
Brass Works
Relic
Firefly Hollow
Back East
Hooker
OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)
Reverie
Black Hog
Witchdoctor
Five Churches
Counterweight Cheshire
Kinsmen
Dockside
Two Roads
Area 2
Tribus
Did you do anything else except visit breweries?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thinking about going there over July 4th weekend. Friends of ours live in Mashpee so they want to take us to Naukabout. I'd rather go to Tree House but was wondering if the reservation system was going to be more difficult than it's worth. Can you get seats or is it too crowded? Maybe we'll just do Naukabout and go to Tree House in September when things calm down on the Cape.
It's not crowded, because the reservation system ensures that the people are limited. Parking is scarce, so they have to limit it. Plenty of room and lots of picnic tables. That said, July 4th weekend the reservations may go very quickly. I'd say give it a shot, if you get a reservation it should be fine. There's no line for beer or anything.

Naukabout is decent, some good beers and a very nice outdoor space. We went there after Treehouse.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Counterpoint - it’s probably not overrated. It’s just that it was first and you beer folk are almost supernaturally pretentious so you have to say that it’s overrated to keep up appearances as you wait in a 45 minute line to buy two $14 cans of whatever the new hot thing is.
It's not overrated. It remains one of the greatest beers of its kind ever made. It's just not quite in the most popular current style, even if it helped create that style.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Overrated. Because it was one of the first IPAs and you couldn't get it outside the brewery.
Its still a really good beer, but oh how I miss the days of the festivals I would play at in 2014 where I would have a few 4 packs in my cooler (bandmate lived in Burlington at time and knew brewer) and I would sell them to wooks for 18 bucks a can. (2 for 30 though, bro!)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Both you and Hooper are correct. Reminds me a lot of my time in coffee. Everyone crawling over each other to find the next new thing and report on it. Sometimes they were right. Sometimes they were very wrong. And meantime the OGs who created the specialty coffee space were still chugging along delivering the goods, but leaving the really experimental stuff to others. And I mostly still by coffee from the OGs as it's in my wheelhouse and I know they have better overall QC standards.

The other thing with beer that's like coffee is that those market dynamics allow a brewer to sell what's otherwise an acceptable but not mindblowing product for the same price as the leaders who routinely produce excellence. So a Washington Brewery "Hazing Is Allowed" costs me as much as a Julius from Treehouse.

The difference in quality between this and the General Braddock suds I posted a couple of weeks ago is very obvious to my palate. Yet it costs the same. For consumers trying all the stuff that's out there based on Untappd reviews or whatever, it can get frustrating. Your palate is your palate. Democratization of food/beer/wine reviews sounds like a great idea, but IMHO, we were all getting better information when it was a trained critic/reviewer offering their review for an actual publication.

Screenshot 2022-06-20 14.03.39.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Its still a really good beer, but oh how I miss the days of the festivals I would play at in 2014 where I would have a few 4 packs in my cooler (bandmate lived in Burlington at time and knew brewer) and I would sell them to wooks for 18 bucks a can. (2 for 30 though, bro!)
For an all in communist pinko you have quite a few capitalistic tendencies.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thinking about going there over July 4th weekend. Friends of ours live in Mashpee so they want to take us to Naukabout. I'd rather go to Tree House but was wondering if the reservation system was going to be more difficult than it's worth. Can you get seats or is it too crowded? Maybe we'll just do Naukabout and go to Tree House in September when things calm down on the Cape.
Naukabout had live music on Saturday. This was the second band. It's a fun spot. Cape Cod Beer is worth visiting too. The beer is just so-so (although some better stuff there than you see in stores) but the outside area is nice and they often have live music as well.

289266841_10221042669516761_3069381594861943423_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Was going to make the trip up to Tree House but only letting you have 2 beers on their campus is a turnoff. That's the kind of destination where I would want to spend all day there. Plus I've tried a couple of their beers and you can get excellent juice bombs all over CT. now.

Reaction Score
It's not overrated. It remains one of the greatest beers of its kind ever made. It's just not quite in the most popular current style, even if it helped create that style.
I agree it’s a legend and I can still remember to this day my first Heady. I think Focal is probably better in my opinion.

Reaction Score
It faces north, so I'm not sure about sunsets. But it is a nice spot. The reservation system means it's never very crowded, no lines for beer or anything else. Several food trucks around the outdoor picnic table area.
People have been posting photos on Instagram of insane sunsets up the beach.

Reaction Score
Focal and Heady are classics and great drinking IPAs. What’s happened is that people came to craft beer after the milkshake IPA was introduced, and their beer drinking palates have come to expect ultra-sweet hop slop with malted oats and flaked wheat. I prefer an IPA that sits between both styles. But I would never turn down these two classics from The Alchemist.

Reaction Score
What did you think of OEC?
I liked it a lot but didn't get to experience it enough. Was only there for a flight as it was our first stop and tried some off the beaten path offerings I haven't seen anywhere else. Cool place that's doing different things than anywhere else and they have Zuppardi's pizza. I'll be back.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
People have been posting photos on Instagram of insane sunsets up the beach.
Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

That beach faces northeast, so I'd expect good sunrises, but maybe sunsets too for some reason. Charlton gets great sunsets looking back over the building from the outside Adirondack chairs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I’ve actually only had it twice - the only two times I have seen it.

Once was in like 2012 on Church Street after the Vermont City Marathon and the other was the other night at a restaurant across the street from Vassar College. It’s not my taste, but I enjoyed it for what it was. In another ten years, I’ll try it again.

Enjoyed this far more - it’s made by a small brewery/restaurant in Poughkeepsie. Cucumber Blessings - it’s a heck of a summer beer. Best use of cucumber in alcohol since Hendricks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also, I love the tasting notes on that website.

Not quite as off the wall as bourbon reviews, but I feel like we’re getting there.Thinking about starting an account there just to post which beers taste like beer.

Reaction Score
Also, I love the tasting notes on that website.

Not quite as off the wall as bourbon reviews, but I feel like we’re getting there.Thinking about starting an account there just to post which beers taste like beer.
Beer flavored beer is making a comeback. Breweries are taking notice of palate fatigue from fruity pebbles adjuncted kettle sours and Mountain Dew syrup beers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Beer flavored beer is making a comeback. Breweries are taking notice of palate fatigue from fruity pebbles adjuncted kettle sours and Mountain Dew syrup beers.
I like German styles, just not most of the iconic German or Czech hops (especially Saaz, but Tettnang or Hallertau aren't great either). Treehouse had a Pilsner I almost got, because it was made with New Zealand hops. Might have been really interesting.

Reaction Score
I like German styles, just not most of the iconic German or Czech hops (especially Saaz, but Tettnang or Hallertau aren't great either). Treehouse had a Pilsner I almost got, because it was made with New Zealand hops. Might have been really interesting.
Get it. Tasman Bay. It’s a seriously refreshing pils with Motueka and Nelson. Bright and fruity flavor profile for a pils.

Also get the Palisade dry hopped version of Wanderer Helles lager. It’s a PNW bred hop that adds some nice dynamism to a Helles.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm well past the point of thinking that some of you have lost your way.

It's beer. It isn't supposed to taste like Christmas trees or shoe leather. If it tastes like eucalyptus leaves, kimchi or roasted acorns your reaction should be "something is very wrong here" not "I have to drive 170 miles and pay $45.00 for a six pack of whatever new concoction just hit the shelves".

Learn this term: Reinheitsgebot

They came up with this in Bavaria (now part of Germany) approximately 500 years ago and this law was so important to Bavarians that a few centuries later, they wouldn't join a Unified Germany until they were assured that it would become German law, not just Bavarian law.

Below is a list of the ingredients allowed under this law:

Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast.

That is all they allow because that is all that is needed.

The four listed below are as good as it gets and guess what, each uses the four above stated ingredients. If you start drinking these you won't be making people like August West rich by overpaying for whatever ridiculous fad of the month they are able to stick in their cooler to sell to unwitting status chasers at an 800% premium.

Czechvar

Urquell

Paulaner

Spaten

You're welcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members