So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well a lot of northern European food is just plain bad no nuance needed to determine that. (Im looking at you specifically UK, and also you, Norway)
Not a Marcus Samuelsson fan? OK, I agree with you on Scandanavia. Only so much one can do with herring. And Aqavit sucks.

England has gotten much, much better since when I started going there 30+ years ago. Scotland not so much.

Did you have fun storming the castle? Did you even find the castle? That place looked so remote I figured you'd need a satellite phone to keep in touch.

Reaction Score
With the newly unlocked beer thread and the recently deleted "Why is the Beer Thread Locked" gone, someone had mentioned last week about Kronenbourg 1664. It's a French beer. I had it for the first time at a British pub and was surprised it was French.

Anywho, French beer and a pizza paying homage to the Alsace region of France. I'd kill the sweet onion but the rest of the pie is on point.

I had a lot of 1664 when I studied abroad in France. Everyone in a while I will see it on the menu in the States (I think the last time was at a Yard House outside of Philly on the Jersey side of the Delaware). To me, it's an easy beer to drink, just not distinctive, which fills a need.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not a Marcus Samuelsson fan? OK, I agree with you on Scandanavia. Only so much one can do with herring. And Aqavit sucks.

England has gotten much, much better since when I started going there 30+ years ago. Scotland not so much.

Did you have fun storming the castle? Did you even find the castle? That place looked so remote I figured you'd need a satellite phone to keep in touch.

Had to take a car ferry on the Firth of Clyde to Dunoon and then it was a fairly short drive. Otherwise its a decent hike from Glasgow if you try to drive around it to get there. Its not a castle. It's a house with a couple guest houses on property. Beautiful though right on some cliffs over the Firth.

As far as British food, yeah it's pretty bad still. I got a Chicken Parmo in Newcastle just to say I had one even though I was warned off it a million times. It is devastatingly terrible.

Had a slice of pizza at a family reunion. Yikes.

Best restaurant meal of Brit food I had was Fish and chips in Whitby. Fresh Whitby cod is the gold standard of Fish and chips in England Ive come to understand. (I had never heard of Whitby before) .

Fiancée's grandmother (stayed there for day and a half) made me mince and tatties and mushy peas one night. That was made well and very good, I enjoyed it, but that is just incredibly simple, kinda bland comfort food.

Best restaruant meal I had whole trip was a Nepalese place in Edinburgh. Incredible.

Reaction Score
Best restaurant meal of Brit food I had was Fish and chips in Whitby. Fresh Whitby cod is the gold standard of Fish and chips in England Ive come to understand. (I had never heard of Whitby before) .

Fiancée's grandmother (stayed there for day and a half) made me mince and tatties and mushy peas one night. That was made well and very good, I enjoyed it, but that is just incredibly simple, kinda bland comfort food.

Best restaruant meal I had whole trip was a Nepalese place in Edinburgh. Incredible.
Pre-Covid, I've spent a lot of time in England for work, primarily London. Overall their food is bland, But, certain pub's do a better job than others with their staples, such as streak & ale pies and fish & chips. I stay a lot on the Knightsbrigde area of London due to where everything is and Hereford Arms, though usually crowded with locals, has been good to me. England also has some good Indian and SE Asia places, too. Addie's Thai is a take-out place across the street from the Earl's Court tube station that I have been happy with. Now, the food court at Harrods (basement) are is decent, but crazy expensive (+20 pounds more than Addie's for the same meal). Did try the 'real Maien Lobster rolls' at Burger & Lobster at Harvey's Nicols' food court (roof). If I wasn't from new England, would have thought it was decent. Outside of London (and one reason I stay in Knightsbridge), I was shocked how good of an Italian place Nonna Rosa was in Uxbridge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well a lot of northern European food is just plain bad no nuance needed to determine that. (Im looking at you specifically UK, and also you, Norway)

Yes, the food is rather unremarkable. I do like a good British Fish and chips and do like mushy peas that have some chunk left in them. Don't like them pureed.

One thing I will give credit to the Brits on is their breakfast. Gimme some eggs, ham, sausage, beans, toast, roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, juice and coffee every day of the week. Screw blood pudding.

1632321899739.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Indeed I am just comparing ubiquitousness. It's on tap everywhere. It is a basic German style light lager, so it isn't that far off from something like Budweiser. But I'm no fan of most light lagers. I did a check in to Pilsner Urquell on Untappd a couple of weeks back and received the comment "what, were they out of water?". And that's one of the better light lagers.

I am interested to see what @Chin Diesel discovers while he's there. I had one of the best Fest beers I've ever had on Saturday, at Medusa Brewing in Hudson, MA. Met the owner/brewer the week before at an event in our town, so went to their Octoberfest. Just spot on for a classic German Octoberfest.
For reasons I cannot explain, the best Marzens I've had have almost all been brewed and consumed while in California.

We have a Hofbräuhaus here in Pgh that I've never visited. It might be time.

Such a Millenial/GenX comment. The kids all need some "<insert overwhelming flavor here> bomb" to be interested.

I have a theory that Northern European cuisine (including France) are out of favor with anyone under 45 because it's too nuanced and you can't drown it with sriracha.

So, slow week so far as far as being adventurous. Really haven't found a bar, restaurant or club with a massive amount of what we would consider micro brews or off the menu type beers.

Hotel I am at does have Affligem on tap. Not bad. They also have a Hoegaarden and other European beers. I sit down and the bar tender is trying to get me to drink the Lagunitas IPA. And this was after we talked and he knew I was an American and wanted to try something regional. Last night a Dutch colleague I worked with in the states wanted to take me bowling. He is proud of his skills. I just wanted to get out and move around. We go to the alley and he orders Budweiser. I was going to order the Leffe Blond and he tells me that is what the teenage kids drink. I get the Hoegaarden and he says that's much better. I've had plenty of both beers and Leffe isn't any different but I defer to my friend.

Truthfully the best beers I've had are the Affligem Tripel and the Hoegaarden Grand Cru. I'm keeping my eyes open and taking suggestions but the locals aren't helping much. This weekend will probably be slow but looks like first weekend of October will have more opportunities.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So, slow week so far as far as being adventurous. Really haven't found a bar, restaurant or club with a massive amount of what we would consider micro brews or off the menu type beers.

Hotel I am at does have Affligem on tap. Not bad. They also have a Hoegaarden and other European beers. I sit down and the bar tender is trying to get me to drink the Lagunitas IPA. And this was after we talked and he knew I was an American and wanted to try something regional. Last night a Dutch colleague I worked with in the states wanted to take me bowling. He is proud of his skills. I just wanted to get out and move around. We go to the alley and he orders Budweiser. I was going to order the Leffe Blond and he tells me that is what the teenage kids drink. I get the Hoegaarden and he says that's much better. I've had plenty of both beers and Leffe isn't any different but I defer to my friend.

Truthfully the best beers I've had are the Affligem Tripel and the Hoegaarden Grand Cru. I'm keeping my eyes open and taking suggestions but the locals aren't helping much. This weekend will probably be slow but looks like first weekend of October will have more opportunities.
Surprised to hear Lagunitas is in Europe. I can't imagine what it costs. I find it already overpriced for what it is here in PA. I don't recall seeing any US beers in Belgium, although I wasn't looking for any and wouldn't have bought one if I did find one.

Btw, if you haven't already figured it out, Jupiler is the 1664 of Benelux, although unlike 1664, it's an adjunct (corn) pale lager and A-B/InterBev is doing all sorts of US-type things with brand extensions, like several light beers and a version with lime. I had a couple on tap (plastic cup) at events in Belgium. Not as good as 1664, but you'll likely encounter it often over the next few weeks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Surprised to hear Lagunitas is in Europe. I can't imagine what it costs. I find it already overpriced for what it is here in PA. I don't recall seeing any US beers in Belgium, although I wasn't looking for any and wouldn't have bought one if I did find one.

Btw, if you haven't already figured it out, Jupiler is the 1664 of Benelux, although unlike 1664, it's an adjunct (corn) pale lager and A-B/InterBev is doing all sorts of US-type things with brand extensions, like several light beers and a version with lime. I had a couple on tap (plastic cup) at events in Belgium. Not as good as 1664, but you'll likely encounter it often over the next few weeks.

Leffe is an AB-Interbev beer too. I'm not a fan. Hoegaarden isn't great either, at least the core beer, but is better than Leffe.

@Chin Diesel you may need to ask what they have in bottles. In Belgium I'd expect you could find the main Trappist beers, I certainly had no problem finding them on tap, including the quads. Chimay Blue is my go to.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Leffe is an AB-Interbev beer too. I'm not a fan. Hoegaarden isn't great either, at least the core beer, but is better than Leffe.

@Chin Diesel you may need to ask what they have in bottles. In Belgium I'd expect you could find the main Trappist beers, I certainly had no problem finding them on tap, including the quads. Chimay Blue is my go to.

Oh I can get the Chimay anywhere I want and I have had the blue. But I can get that in the states. I can get most of the trappist beers at the restaurants but many of them I have tried in the states.

Not really a fan of Hoegaarden, but I know what it is. There are also a ton of wit/wheat beers over here that I have tried in the states.

I picked up the tab for the bowling and beverages last night for a friend. Today he shows up with a cooler to thank me. Inside? A six pack of Heineken cans. I'll dump all that crap down the drain.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh I can get the Chimay anywhere I want and I have had the blue. But I can get that in the states. I can get most of the trappist beers at the restaurants but many of them I have tried in the states.

Not really a fan of Hoegaarden, but I know what it is. There are also a ton of wit/wheat beers over here that I have tried in the states.

I picked up the tab for the bowling and beverages last night for a friend. Today he shows up with a cooler to thank me. Inside? A six pack of Heineken cans. I'll dump all that crap down the drain.
I'd at least try one of the Heinekens to see if it tastes any different than it does here.

Then leave the rest for the housekeepers when you check out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Somehow I missed this site before my trip, but I was looking up Zot, a beer I recall enjoying in Bruges, and this encyclopedia of Belgian beer showed up above the fold. As comprehensive as anything I've seen regarding Belgians. I counted 192 beers with full write-ups, and even then, there were solid beers I had over there that weren't on this list as I had about 20 different ones and only 9 are on this list, so a few were very local or even proprietary to wherever I was imbibing.

There's also an app.

I'll be impressed if you can get to the all ;)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yeah, it's not the same in a bottle that has been shipped thousands of miles that it is fairly local and fresh. So I'd say try what you've had before and liked on tap anyway.

Try the Heineken. Even U.S. Heineken isn't terrible anymore since they fixed the light stroke problem. Some Heineken fans stopped drinking it because it no longer tasted like it was poured through the engine block of a 1975 Malibu.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somehow I missed this site before my trip, but I was looking up Zot, a beer I recall enjoying in Bruges, and this encyclopedia of Belgian beer showed up above the fold. As comprehensive as anything I've seen regarding Belgians. I counted 192 beers with full write-ups, and even then, there were solid beers I had over there that weren't on this list as I had about 20 different ones and only 9 are on this list, so a few were very local or even proprietary to wherever I was imbibing.

There's also an app.

I'll be impressed if you can get to the all ;)

So based on the list. I got a four pack of La Chouffe Blond. Listed as a strong beer.

Head blows up like souffle when your pour it and then collapses like a souffle. Great reviews but seems rather tasteless to me. Nothing sticks out good or bad on it. Just bland. Not very carbonated. Was thinking it might taste like a Duvel but nothing like it at all.

I'll finish this one and save the other three for UConn v Wyoming viewing Saturday night. I'm sure by second possession I'll be screaming for the strongest booze I can get.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So a busy day with two other couples in Easthampton, MA. Visited three breweries.

New City Brewery In an old Mill along the bike trail next to the lower mill pond. Huge outdoor space, fairly small indoor space. Only about 8 beers, all around 5% abv. I thought the porter was good, the Scotch ale ok. Tried the IPA and it was just ok. Seems to really cater to the bikers, many park there to get on the bike trail (and I think the beer list is geared to them). Food was ok.

Abandoned Building Brewery Impressive IPAs and other beers. Huge outdoor space and a very nice huge indoor space, all tucked away in the same mill complex as the place above. No kitchen but they do food trucks. They also supply board games. They have a list of 4 hot pepper beers, tried a sample of one, not bad. The New England IPAs shine here, but everything is very good.

Fort Hill Brewery Even more huge location, inside and out. This one had by far the most people. The beer quality is somewhere between the first two. Their Festbeer was good, not amazing. They did have a varied list of beers with a range of styles. An orange blossom honey Pilsner was quite good (sample). IPA was better than New City, but not up to Abandoned Building levels.

On the way back to our host's house in Longmeadow we stopped in Springfield. The Student Prince & The Fort Had a large outdoor area, but notably lots of German beers on tap, including the Hacker-Schorr Marzen pictured. Great beer. Had to get the liter stein for the fun of it, but couldn't finish it.

boot.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don't think it has much impact. Going to the brewery is an event. Fort Hill has a fantastic location and the beer is indeed, average, which is fine. Abandoned Building has a cool location, and above average beer. Will people looking for cans stop at Treehouse? Sure. But for a fun day or couple of hours, not so much.

Case in point: the new Trillium location in Canton is epic. Simply massive and an improvement over the old spot including a restaurant now. But I'll go a lot less often, because it attracts too big a crown and loses the fun, casual "drop in or stop by" capability you want from your local brewery. Going there requires a plan.

Curious how this group rates New England breweries on these criteria: (1) Beer quality, including diversity or styles and presentation (plastic cup vs shaker pint vs proper glass) (2) location, ambiance, fun, comfort, extras (food, games, music etc.) and (3) ease of access, can you get in, what are the hours? Parking? Lines for beer?

My top 3 at present off the top of my head:
1. Long Live Beerworks in Providence
2. Lawson's Finest - Mad River Glen, VT
3. Jack's Abby in Framingham MA

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, one week left in Netherlands.

Up on the Northwest Friesland area now.

This earns every bit of it's reputation. Way more carbonated than any other tripel I've drank and not nearly as syrupy. Almost tastes like a Tucher Kristal but a bit heavier. Regardless, this is top notch.

IMG_20211023_204222328~2.jpg

Reaction Score

nice! I'm assuming you've been or enjoy their beer? I saw they have a popup place in midtown as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom