So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Isn't it too late by then? ;) Or you mean message to the married couple?
Never too late to learn or teach, Rocky! I try everyday to learn a little. And the BY is a good place to start. Hpoe they have a wonderful married life. And that you recover from the injury.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Soda and ginger ale. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to drink beer over tastier beverages if not for the buzz.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So I'm off to Paris in a couple hours and will be in Belgium for five days next week. I've set up a bit of a goal that's probably going to have me partly intoxicated most of the time. I have a list of 25 beers I'll be seeking out (if I can find a Westvrleten 12, I'll make that 26). Here's the list:

Belgian beer.JPG

Wish me luck!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@storrsroars when I was in Bruges in June, I went to a store that had virtually all of those on the shelves. I think you will come close if you don’t make that goal n

Reaction Score
So I'm off to Paris in a couple hours and will be in Belgium for five days next week. I've set up a bit of a goal that's probably going to have me partly intoxicated most of the time. I have a list of 25 beers I'll be seeking out (if I can find a Westvrleten 12, I'll make that 26). Here's the list:

View attachment 46503

Wish me luck!

Damn, have fun!

Reaction Score

View attachment 46503

Wish me luck!

Good luck. Where in Belgium will you be? If you need any advice, let me know.

Do you care if you can find some of these in America?

You can often find all 3 Westy's in the Beer Temple shops in the larger Belgian cities.

Reaction Score
I hope you have an awesome time @storrsroars - personally, I think Belgian beers are way overrated and that you simply can't beat a good American IPA...but that might be just me. Have a blast.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good luck. Where in Belgium will you be? If you need any advice, let me know.

Do you care if you can find some of these in America?

You can often find all 3 Westy's in the Beer Temple shops in the larger Belgian cities.

I left out big names like Duvel, Orval and some others. While we have one of the largest importers of Belgian beer here in PGH, they don't carry most on the list and some the do carry don't turn over very quickly.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hope you have an awesome time @storrsroars - personally, I think Belgian beers are way overrated and that you simply can't beat a good American IPA...but that might be just me. Have a blast.

it's just you ;-)

thanks for the wishes. there are many types of beer out there to experience. I love a good ipa too, but I enjoy a large breadth of other styles so I'm looking forward to this, now sitting on the tarmac at CLT.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 46503

Wish me luck!
Love the Lou Pepe. I like the Goudenband but it veers a little sweet for me. Flanders Red is a rare and favorite style and Rodenbach was always my favorite of that style, but didn't something change about it within the last ten years or so? I could be confusing it with another Flanders or a different Rodenbach beer, but I remember something about a different recipe and it being sweeter and maltier and less sour.

ETA: I am surprised to see no Cantillion on your list. Not a fan?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@8893 any cider recommendations? I am just getting into these and really liked the Downeast recommendations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 any cider recommendations? I am just getting into these and really liked the Downeast recommendations.
That’s a loaded question for me because I like a lot of them across the spectrum, including both the ones made with champagne yeast and the ones made with ale yeast. I tend from dry to off-dry/medium, and Downeast, which is right in the middle, is probably about as sweet as I get. If you like their regular cider I would also suggest Citizen Cider’s Unified Press, Prospect’s Sidro and a brand new one called Stormalong Blue Hills Orchard, which apparently has some tie to a Wallingford orchard of the same name, and is also a cloudy cider like Downeast is.

In general, I like pretty much anything from Citizen and I rotate a lot among them, as well as Stowe Cider’s Safety Meeting, which is dry hopped and tastes a lot like a crisp IPA. That and Citizen’s Lake Hopper are probably my two most frequent go-tos. Nine Pin is another good one pretty much across the line.

I recommend getting a sense of where you are on the flavor spectrum between sweet and dry and then using the gauge on the side of the cans as a guide for other ones to try in that range. I also recommend checking out a Normandy style one (they are in 750 ml bottles) to see if you like the ones made from champagne yeast.

Spoke and Spy in Middletown, which is only open on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, is a great little spot with (imo) the best ciders in CT. Go there and do a tasting and fill a couple growlers or half-growlers to bring home. The owner/cider maker Ron is a great guy and really smart, and he’s all too happy to field questions and help you explore. New England Cider in Wallingford is also a ton of fun with very good ciders.

ETA: If you like sours, try anything from Graft Cider. They will blow you away.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hey, it's day one of my Belgian beer tour. Only knocked off one on my list, but had three not on list. Got into Brussels at 8:30p, wasted no time getting to a beer hall. Even though I had a Westmalle Tripple, best beer of the night was Hopus Blond, a supposed Belgian IPA that didn't drink like an IPA. Had it on draft, which apparently (according to Beer Advocate), is worth an extra point. Anyway was delightful.

Also had a so-so Judas Belgian pale ale and a Kriek Boon, which I'd classify as a cherry shandy. A fun beer but not much to it other than the beautiful Ruby red color.

As a side note, while still in Paris, I ordered something called a Picon Biere, which I learned is a good way of turning crap cheap lager into something somewhat enjoyable, by adding some orange liquer to it. Might even work for Coors Light!

Was at La Mort Subite tonight, a fun beer hall, but limited offerings and a croque monsiuer than was like a 7-11 grilled ham & cheese, but should hit Delirium tomorrow, supposedly 2000 beers on their menu.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hey, it's day one of my Belgian beer tour. Only knocked off one on my list, but had three not on list. Got into Brussels at 8:30p, wasted no time getting to a beer hall. Even though I had a Westmalle Tripple, best beer of the night was Hopus Blond, a supposed Belgian IPA that didn't drink like an IPA. Had it on draft, which apparently (according to Beer Advocate), is worth an extra point. Anyway was delightful.

Also had a so-so Judas Belgian pale ale and a Kriek Boon, which I'd classify as a cherry shandy. A fun beer but not much to it other than the beautiful Ruby red color.

As a side note, while still in Paris, I ordered something called a Picon Biere, which I learned is a good way of turning crap cheap lager into something somewhat enjoyable, by adding some orange liquer to it.ight even work for Coors Light!
We used to do something similar for Coronas back at UConn. Bacardi limon replaces beer in the neck. Haven’t had one in 20 years though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Fat Orange Cat just announced they’re banning dogs and children. Not disagreeing with them or anything but I probably won’t be going back. A big part of going was being able to bring my dog. I love the beer but it’s already frustrating enough to stand in line in a tiny barn to get a couple ounces of beer at a time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Fat Orange Cat just announced they’re banning dogs and children. Not disagreeing with them or anything but I probably won’t be going back. A big part of going was being able to bring my dog. I love the beer but it’s already frustrating enough to stand in line in a tiny barn to get a couple ounces of beer at a time.
I'm sure the ban is through this season only.

As for quality brewskis...I just learned that City Steam has had an IPA version of Nurse. It tastes great!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Life is all about timing. There's a bar called Delirium about five blocks from my hotel. They have 2000 beers on menu. But I can't get near the place due to a giant concert in the main square celebrating something called the festival of the Wallonia. Seems there were more people out last night than actually live in Brussels. Packed streets for 3-4 blocks around the Market in every directionn.
This is putting a crimp in my quest to get thru my list, although I've had a bunch of great beer not on the original list. The micro scene here is surprisingly good. Will post a recap when I get back home Monday, but it's a damned good beer destination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom