Beer | Page 138 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lol nobody is having NE/East coast beer shipped out here. Why are you having “dreck” shipped out there? Fail again

Oh by the way speaking of great beer bars @Chin Diesel you gotta check out Hamilton’s. Funny enough, for a couple years now (just did it again yesterday) they have a big blind tasting event featuring Pliny the younger and around 15 other triple IPAs; I think this year Pliny finished its highest ever at 5th, don’t listen to Auggie he is at best a name-dropper

Trades.

I have a bunch of Cal friends who want NE beer.

Reaction Score
Trades.

Yeah where in CA? Here in SoCal and especially SD there is literally no need. You can’t find NE beer anywhere, again not that you’d need to

Keep fighting the losing fight, bud

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah where in CA? Here in SoCal and especially SD there is literally no need. You can’t find NE beer anywhere, again not that you’d need to

Marin. Humboldt. Sonoma .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Trades.

Seconded. Much more of it moves from here to there than the other way around. I do here there are some places in CA making great stuff now. I hear good things about Monkish in SoCal, and Cellarmaker in NoCal. But Modern Times? Stone? That ain't it.

August_West

Reaction Score

Because you don't know that you are drinking dreck now.

It's like when I go to Grand rapids all the time which is known as an incredible beer city and it was 10 years ago. Hell even 5 years ago.. now it is like the dark ages.

Reaction Score

You are on the wrong side of this but I suspect as a hipster millennial who eats avocado toast with a fork and knife you aren’t even aware.

The only thing worse than beer in CA is the pizza.

Reaction Score
Seconded. Much more of it moves from here to there than the other way around. I do here there are some places in CA making great stuff now. I hear good things about Monkish in SoCal, and Cellarmaker in NoCal. But Modern Times? Stone? That ain't it.
If you actually go to breweries and drink the smaller batches since, you know, that’s the essence of craft beer, you’d see how the places I listed are on the same tier if not better than Monkish. Monkish is way at the top of LA beer but would have company down in SD.

It’s not at all about what you see getting shipped across the country.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ballast Point makes some good stuff. Been wanting to try Pliny for awhile now, but every freaking brewery on the West Coast is making NEIPAs right now so you can't say nobody in CA is having New England beer shipped out there. Every time NEBCO announces they're brewing FBD people from around the country post on their Facebook looking to trade. And Treehouse beers are everywhere.

August_West

Reaction Score
If you actually go to breweries and drink the smaller batches since, you know, that’s the essence of craft beer

#douchechills

oh dear lord.

Reaction Score
CTVB's Trailblazer was a mess when they first started brewing at South Windsor...turbid, no carbonation. I had one a few months ago and it had improved a lot. I had an Into The Woods a few weeks ago and it was a very good NEIPA. But I agree, $17 a four pack is too much.

I've been visiting Relic in Plainville every week or so and they've weaned me off Tree House. All there DIPA's are outstanding and their 6th anniversary triple was Julius on steroids.
I missed 6 by Relic, really wanted to try it, but couldn't get to the brewery and I know it had very limited distribution. Relic is killing it!

Reaction Score
I'm in Farmington, but have never been there. I always forget about them. I do buy their bottles and cans on occasion. I recently had Black Dawn which was a very good stout. I'm also a big fan of Firefly Coneflakes DIPA. Always on tap at J Timothy's.
Stay away from Relic in bottles. I don't think he's bottled in over a year so those are old IPA's...not a good thing. Plus he tweaked the recipes when he went to cans to very good results.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
All of the Relic beers I've had are OK, not great. The problem is I don't think I've had any of their good IPAs or DIPAs. I had Lee Shore and it was decent. I think that's the only IPA of theirs I've come across in stores.

Reaction Score
Ballast Point makes some good stuff. Been wanting to try Pliny for awhile now, but every freaking brewery on the West Coast is making NEIPAs right now so you can't say nobody in CA is having New England beer shipped out there. Every time NEBCO announces they're brewing FBD people from around the country post on their Facebook looking to trade. And Treehouse beers are everywhere.
Lol another Ballast Point name dropper

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you actually go to breweries and drink the smaller batches since, you know, that’s the essence of craft beer, you’d see how the places I listed are on the same tier if not better than Monkish. Monkish is way at the top of LA beer but would have company down in SD.

It’s not at all about what you see getting shipped across the country.

I have a friend in San Diego who brought me stuff for years. Almost all of it disappointing (I liked the Alesmith Tony Gwinn Pale Ale). The thing you are missing is that the San Diego scene, with regard to IPAs, is built around a style that is very bitter. So the vast majority of what you get is based on that. Not everything and I know NE Style has made inroads. And yes, there are bitter, "west coast" style IPAs made here too.

But I've had the core range of beers from the breweries you listed, and I don't care for them. I drain poured Modern Times Blazing World. Alpine I had once before Green Flash bought them...it was ok. Since GF bought them...drain pour. Note: I think GF is truly awful. Meanwhile, I love the core beers from Treehouse, Trillium, HF, Foam, Foley Bros, Beer'd, Frost etc. That's the difference. Any good brewer can make a decent beer in a one off batch. How are the highest volume beers?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lol another Ballast Point name dropper

You said nobody in CA is shipping in New England beer when WE LITERALLY HAD A STYLE OF IPA NAMED AFTER OUR REGION. Every time I go to the package store I see another California brewery coming out with a NEIPA.

Reaction Score
All of the Relic beers I've had are OK, not great. The problem is I don't think I've had any of their good IPAs or DIPAs. I had Lee Shore and it was decent. I think that's the only IPA of theirs I've come across in stores.
Lee Shore is meh. It's a low alcohol IPA, and he hasn't brewed that in quite a while. I love that Mark at Relic is experimenting with hop combinations. So there's a new DIPA every other week or so. It's not Julius Green Haze over and over.

Last week was Ancient Art with Australian Enigma and Mosaic...lot's of berry flavor, low bitterness. Mosaic is a ramped up version of Simcoe. Actually it's the daughter of Simcoe --yes hops have genders. Who knew.

Reaction Score
Their Crankenstein isn’t bad, but otherwise have to agree. The beer is unimpressive.
YES. Stony Creek is the nicest brewery I've seen. But, outside of Crankenstein, their beer is horrible. Rather go up an exit to Thimble Island for better beer.
Two Roads is another cool brewery, but they have too many beers that taste like piss.

Best beer for the $ is CounterWeight's Headway. Got it for $9.99/4 pack.
Relic has really stepped up their game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
YES. Stony Creek is the nicest brewery I've seen. But, outside of Crankenstein, their beer is horrible. Rather go up an exit to Thimble Island for better beer.
Two Roads is another cool brewery, but they have too many beers that taste like piss.

Relic has really stepped up their game.
La Garza is Stony Creeks best beer. Debuted last summer. A Mexicali lager.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love that Headway has given me two openings (so far) to unleash my latest corny dad joke:

Bar customer asks bartender: "What's a Headway?"

Me (sitting at bar): "Around 10-12 pounds."

[awkward silence, followed by nervous laughter]

La Garza is Stony Creeks best beer. Debuted last summer. A Mexicali lager.

Brilliant. Instead of making their beers not taste like piss, they simply found a style for which that is the defining characteristic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom