Beating up SC in the cold | The Boneyard

Beating up SC in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those of you who came to B'ham to watch UConn dominate SC may remember how cold it felt. Well, when Vandy and Houston kickoff tomorrow it is expected to be around 34 with a 10-15 mph "breeze". That is a good 10 degrees colder than our game.

Reaction Score
My favorite game of Uconn years past. Kashif's one handed grab will forever be remembered. And that was a great win against a great program. I know it was a few years ago now, but just goes to show you how far Uconn had come since it's inception into FBS football.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Those of you who came to B'ham to watch UConn dominate SC may remember how cold it felt. Well, when Vandy and Houston kickoff tomorrow it is expected to be around 34 with a 10-15 mph "breeze". That is a good 10 degrees colder than our game.
Supposed to be -30 windchill for Green Bay v. Niners on Sunday. Now that's fricken cold! Go Niners

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My favorite game of Uconn years past. Kashif's one handed grab will forever be remembered. And that was a great win against a great program. I know it was a few years ago now, but just goes to show you how far Uconn had come since it's inception into FBS football.
UConn vs the "bigger, faster, stronger" SEC team:

Last edited:

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Great game. It was definitely chilly... I made the drive from Atlanta for that one. Favorite parts besides the game:

1. SEC chants on the way in and hung heads on the way out

2. Johnathon with the gamecock on a leash

3. Random guy from Birmingham raving about our marching band in the stands

Reaction Score
One of the best pig on a bun/pulled pork sangwich I've ever had...

21842_1339980418922_7263526_n.jpg

Reaction Score
One of the best pig on a bun/pulled pork sangwich I've ever had...

View attachment 4648
See you went to Jim N' Nicks at 5 Points. The bar there is a good place to watch a Bama or Auburn game. Their pulled pork is very good, I just like Full Moon a little better. Interestingly enough if you went to Jin N' Nicks you were about 200 yards away from two restaurants that is easily in the top 100 in the nation. Highland Bar and Grill, and Ocean. The name of the first is seriously misleading.

Reaction Score
See you went to Jim N' Nicks at 5 Points. The bar there is a good place to watch a Bama or Auburn game. Their pulled pork is very good, I just like Full Moon a little better. Interestingly enough if you went to Jin N' Nicks you were about 200 yards away from two restaurants that is easily in the top 100 in the nation. Highland Bar and Grill, and Ocean. The name of the first is seriously misleading.

Yeah - went after pep rally. Went over to Hoover the next night for some Shula's.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Still til this day one of the most incredible catches ever. Wow! Can still see the slow mo.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great game. It was definitely chilly... I made the drive from Atlanta for that one. Favorite parts besides the game:

1. SEC chants on the way in and hung heads on the way out

2. Johnathon with the gamecock on a leash

3. Random guy from Birmingham raving about our marching band in the stands

4. Big beers for $5.00.

Reaction Score
4. Big beers for $5.00.
They gave you as many beers as you could carry too. We got 2 empty beer flat's and they filled one with 12 beers the other with hot dogs....the other 2 trips we just filled the flats with beer.

Reaction Score
Fun weekend in Bama.

Spurrier going for it on 4th down not once, but twice and failing let you know early which team showed up and which was looking for a spark to ignite their team.
I was thankful we were on the sunny side for that game.
Of course, my favorite highlight was having my 9 y.o. get interviewed on local TV and, when asked what was his favorite part of Birmingham, yelled "Hooters girls!" While mom was none too pleased, a lot of folks stopped him the next day recognizing him and the Hooters folks made room for him in their pre- game tent, remembering him from TV.

Reaction Score
I remember watching the shade come toward us. And the minute it hit it went from cold to frigid in about 10 seconds. At least it was in the 4q.

Reaction Score
I won't even try to rank all the good things about that 2009 bowl game, but one thing that has not been mentioned, but is up there at the top for me, is the old ball coach's post game interview where he unabashedly and painstakingly apologizes to all the South Carolina fans that made the trip to Birmingham. I honestly don't know if I can ever recall seeing and hearing the same kind of speech come out of Spurrier.

We thoroughly embarrassed Steve Spurrier's South Carolina program in a bowl game. whatever explanation anyone comes up with is really irrelevant, the fact is we embarrassed Spurrier's South Carolina program very badly, and it felt Oh So Good.

Reaction Score
I won't even try to rank all the good things about that 2009 bowl game, but one thing that has not been mentioned, but is up there at the top for me, is the old ball coach's post game interview where he unabashedly and painstakingly apologizes to all the South Carolina fans that made the trip to Birmingham. I honestly don't know if I can ever recall seeing and hearing the same kind of speech come out of Spurrier.

We thoroughly embarrassed Steve Spurrier's South Carolina program in a bowl game. whatever explanation anyone comes up with is really irrelevant, the fact is we embarrassed Spurrier's South Carolina program very badly, and it felt Oh So Good.

No doubt this was a fantastic milestone win for the Huskies. Really thought that "this whole BCS/D1 thing was doable" - especially when you consider that UConn earned its way to the Fiesta Bowl the following season. What a point of pride for someone who grew up and lived most of his life in Connecticut (where Yale was the best we had in the 50s, 60's and 70s) to actually go down into Dixie and beat an SEC team. And then . . . . it all went away. Was it a "House of Cards"? Did PP really damage the UConn program that bad? Was/is there a conspiracy out there that at all costs wanted to make sure that UConn never, ever again would appear in a New Years Day Bowl game? And . . . . how much of a part in this did our "back stabbing neighbor" ESPN have to do with this.

Reaction Score
We have never been to a down south bowl game, including southwest, where the weather was warm. I hope next year will be the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom