OT: - bear (tv show) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: bear (tv show)

Reaction Score
Yeah, most walk-ins have the push knob to open the door from the inside. The issue with theirs was the outside handle. I am sure the health department would have required the interior push knob thingy.
Maybe Cicero "greased the skids" with the health department to help them pass the inspection even though the cooler was not up to code ;)

(Entirely possible given the implications that he has substantial back-channel power. if ya know what I mean)

Reaction Score
Just revisiting this thread / bumping it since they absolutely cleaned house at the Golden Globes & Emmys. If any yarders haven't watched it yet, I'd strongly suggest giving it a watch. I've probably re-watched it 5+ times now. It's that compelling.

Love that there will be a season 3 at some point in 2024.

Deserving of all the awards. But, it's definitely not a traditional "Comedy". I'd call it a "Dramedy"

Let it Rip!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just finished season 1 last night. Looking forward to season 2, especially if it is a little less nerve wracking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let us know when you get to the Christmas dinner ;-)
Alison Brie What GIF

Reaction Score
Season 3 drops tonight at 9pm.

One of the most anticipated new seasons of a show I’ve had in a while.

Should come on right after we find the fate of Donovan & Stephon.

Look alive, Lizards! What a night!

Ebon Moss-Bachrach Cooking GIF by The Bear

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on season 3. I enjoyed the "napkins" episode but agree with some of the reviews that people thought nothing of significance happens this season and it's just filler for season 4.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings as well. After an incredible Season 2, Season 3 was a a let down. We really enjoyed Episode 1 as a recap episode via flashbacks. I also really enjoyed episode 10. Everything in between could have been covered in one or two episodes.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings as well. After an incredible Season 2, Season 3 was a a let down. We really enjoyed Episode 1 as a recap episode via flashbacks. I also really enjoyed episode 10. Everything in between could have been covered in one or two episodes.

yeah, I thought the Fak bros convos became too much. The season didnt seem to push anything forward, just felt like it was treading water and then had a bunch of cameos to try and meat it up. Somewhere I read that it felt like half a season or a part 1 of a season more than a full season and I agree with that sentiment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
yeah, I thought the Fak bros convos became too much. The season didnt seem to push anything forward, just felt like it was treading water and then had a bunch of cameos to try and meat it up. Somewhere I read that it felt like half a season or a part 1 of a season more than a full season and I agree with that sentiment.
This season didn't drive the plot as much as some would've liked, but for me, it's opened up a lot of possibilities for S4. I think the number of episodes focused on characters other than Carmy, Richie and Syd is interesting in that I think/hope it presages some unexpected storylines when the focus gets back to whether or not to go for the Michelin star.

Say what you will regarding the lack of a climatic story arc for S3, the writing was still superb and the acting impeccable. It may not have delivered the fireworks of S2, but I was glad I watched all 10 episodes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just finished season three. This show is just incredibly good television. And Jaime Lee Curtis absolutely kills it with another episode this year that was riveting. It would be easy to have Donna be your prototypical psych case, but the complexity in Curtis' performance is stunning.

Reaction Score
So I finished S3 about a week ago and was definitely disappointed overall. It was my worst fear that it would be a letdown after the brilliance of S1 & S2. As a point of reference, I have probably watched S1 & S2 at least 10 times now...it's just so enjoyable.

Part of the letdown I think is because S1 & S2 set the bar so darn high and they are absolutely brilliant in every important aspect of a cinematic/TV series experience: writing, acting, character development, plot lines, cinematography, music score, etc. , etc.

I'll rant a bit first and then wrap up with some positives. Anyone reading this thread who hasn't watched be aware that there may be spoilers upcoming :

The biggest thing that I thought was annoying (and already mentioned in posts above) is that there just was not any realistic progression of plot and characters over the time frame that S3 covered.

There also seemed to be a substantial loss of "realistic & relatable dialogue & action" between characters that was one of the great things about S1 & S2. Nothing seemed to be forced/unrealistic during extended discussions between characters in those seasons' episodes. Much more seemed "forced" and just didn't work as well in S3.

They wayyy overdid the Fak family in S3. The whole "hauntings" thing was stupid and annoying. I get that the Fak family is supposed to be odd and bizarre and annoying, and that the writers wanted to at least show that more, but they sure didn't need to spend as much time during S3 doing what they did.

Carmy totally regresses throughout S3 and goes so against what he said he was going to do as the Exec. Chef during S2...but Richie, Syd, Natalie, Tina really do absolutely nothing to snap him out of his BS spiral...even though it's crystal-clear from their character development in S1 & S2 that they collectively would not continually put up with working in the environment that Carmy develops during S3. Annoying and makes no sense.

That being said, there were still plenty of great moments and episodes that I thought were awesome. Just a few off the top of my head:

E1 (Tomorrow) - Loved the overall vibe and the story it told with little to no actual dialogue. Throughout S1&S2 you get the impression that Carmy totally blew off coming back to Chicago for Mikey's funeral. Seeing that he did but only got as close as being parked outside the church but couldn't bring himself to go in was gutwrenching. I thought it was fabulous that we see how Syd's "best meal ever" actually was the result of Carmy defying his Exec Chef and sending out his own Hamachi with Blood Orange instead of Hamachi w/ Fennel (claiming "customer has fennel allergy"). Makes great call-backs to S1E1 where the 1st meal Syd does at the Beef was a family meal that included fennel (so she obviously didn't have a fennel allergy), and also S1E6/7 where Syd gives her Braised Beef with Risotto that Carmy said "wasn't ready yet" to a random Beef customer who turned out to be a food critic who raves about the dish...

E6 (Napkins) - Tina origin story was great. Love that we find out that Mikey showing a picture of Carmy's dish to Tina (seen in S3E1) actually occurred the 1st time they meet, Also, was interesting/funny to find out that Tina actually worked in office settings for pretty much her whole adult life and hadn't actually been working at the Beef for that long...only about 4ish years before the time the series starts (just post-COVID). Makes her battles with Syd in S1 "Just f off...I've been working here since before you were born" actually pretty hilarious...

E8 (Ice Chips) - Just great acting overall from JLC and Abby Elliot

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So I finished S3 about a week ago and was definitely disappointed overall. It was my worst fear that it would be a letdown after the brilliance of S1 & S2. As a point of reference, I have probably watched S1 & S2 at least 10 times now...it's just so enjoyable.

Part of the letdown I think is because S1 & S2 set the bar so darn high and they are absolutely brilliant in every important aspect of a cinematic/TV series experience: writing, acting, character development, plot lines, cinematography, music score, etc. , etc.

I'll rant a bit first and then wrap up with some positives. Anyone reading this thread who hasn't watched be aware that there may be spoilers upcoming :

The biggest thing that I thought was annoying (and already mentioned in posts above) is that there just was not any realistic progression of plot and characters over the time frame that S3 covered.

There also seemed to be a substantial loss of "realistic & relatable dialogue & action" between characters that was one of the great things about S1 & S2. Nothing seemed to be forced/unrealistic during extended discussions between characters in those seasons' episodes. Much more seemed "forced" and just didn't work as well in S3.

They wayyy overdid the Fak family in S3. The whole "hauntings" thing was stupid and annoying. I get that the Fak family is supposed to be odd and bizarre and annoying, and that the writers wanted to at least show that more, but they sure didn't need to spend as much time during S3 doing what they did.

Carmy totally regresses throughout S3 and goes so against what he said he was going to do as the Exec. Chef during S2...but Richie, Syd, Natalie, Tina really do absolutely nothing to snap him out of his BS spiral...even though it's crystal-clear from their character development in S1 & S2 that they collectively would not continually put up with working in the environment that Carmy develops during S3. Annoying and makes no sense.

That being said, there were still plenty of great moments and episodes that I thought were awesome. Just a few off the top of my head:

E1 (Tomorrow) - Loved the overall vibe and the story it told with little to no actual dialogue. Throughout S1&S2 you get the impression that Carmy totally blew off coming back to Chicago for Mikey's funeral. Seeing that he did but only got as close as being parked outside the church but couldn't bring himself to go in was gutwrenching. I thought it was fabulous that we see how Syd's "best meal ever" actually was the result of Carmy defying his Exec Chef and sending out his own Hamachi with Blood Orange instead of Hamachi w/ Fennel (claiming "customer has fennel allergy"). Makes great call-backs to S1E1 where the 1st meal Syd does at the Beef was a family meal that included fennel (so she obviously didn't have a fennel allergy), and also S1E6/7 where Syd gives her Braised Beef with Risotto that Carmy said "wasn't ready yet" to a random Beef customer who turned out to be a food critic who raves about the dish...

E6 (Napkins) - Tina origin story was great. Love that we find out that Mikey showing a picture of Carmy's dish to Tina (seen in S3E1) actually occurred the 1st time they meet,

E8 (Ice Chips) - Just great acting overall from JLC and Abby Elliot

I gave up after a couple episodes in season one I couldn't take all the yelling.

Reaction Score
Season 2 is some of the best tv I have ever watched.

Little things, like Carmy letting staff use his knife, just incredible.

Richie … I wear suits now.

Season 1 is claustrophobic and gave me anxiety. Season 2 was like a therapy break through.

Haven’t watched season 3 yet, I love the show so much I know it disappointed.

This is on the sopranos, breaking bad, the wire level of watching tv.

The Xmas episode…!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom