BE Weekly Honors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BE Weekly Honors

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Pitino knows about Cam. During an "In the Huddle" after a commercial break he was yelling at one of his guys for not playing good D against Cam.

Reaction Score
If it is the coaches, then they should be asked why he’s not getting the votes that he deserves.
It would be nice to see who votes and whom they vote for each week. May be telling as to why he hasn’t even made HM.
The wildest part of his omission is he is at the top of every other coaches scout. It’s not like the people voting for this don’t think he’s important and one of the highest priority guys to contain.

I get him not getting it this week - didn’t play great against providence so it cancelled out his great day on Saturday, but he’s had plenty of consistent weeks where he comes up big multiple games in a row.

Also, only 1 UConn POW by this point in the year is pretty wild.

Reaction Score
IMG_0347.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pitino knows about Cam. During an "In the Huddle" after a commercial break he was yelling at one of his guys for not playing good D against Cam.
Pitino gets nervous whenever cams are around. Could be recording- he wants no evidence.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So 5 Huskies on that list, with 18 total awards, and none of them are Spencer (and one of them is Solo Ball???)... Chalk it up to balance, I guess.

Reaction Score
I was joking in the post game thread, but holy crap they really did leave Cam off.

He averaged 19.5 pts, 6 reb, 3.5 asst, 3 stls per game. 8/12 from 3, 7:1 ast/TO.

He was KenPom MVP in both of our wins.
Probably already noted, but due to how the scoring (rarely a repeat points leader in a given week), assists, rebounds etc. are spread throughout our starting 5, it's hard to get a UConn player with the top weekly BE stats. As someone pointed out, PoV votes for UConn players probably get carved up between 2 or more players each week resulting in them not even making honorable mention.

Being Team of the Week is what counts most.

Reaction Score
Leader at the turn: Stephon Castle (UConn): For the most part, the races for Conference Freshman of the Year are still pretty close and open to debate. This is not the case in the Big East. After dealing with injury issues early in the season, Castle is leading all Big East freshmen in scoring (11.7 points per game), rebounds (4.7) and assists (3.3). Not only that, he’s got a comfortable lead in each category.

The race is not even close. Castle is doing it on a Huskies team that has a very real shot at repeating as National Champions. Some five-star prospects don’t live up to the advance billing but Castle has been all of that and then more.

Reaction Score
Xavier's Swain should probably be on the names to know list

Reaction Score
Wonder if any Husky will be on the BE first team?
I said this in another thread, we potentially have four players who cud get first team big east. I’ll be shocked if cam, newton , clingan and Karaban aren’t at least on 1st, second or third team

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a conference POY that hasn’t gotten any weekly awards? Cam is certainly on the short list for conference POY at this point. Although if he has a good game against GTown I think he wins his first one this week.

Reaction Score
SC, TN, AK, and DC should recieve an award prior to the BE tourny.
CS should be a strong candidate for new comer of the year. If gets nothing, he will let them know during the BE tournament

Reaction Score
who is regarded as the 2nd best freshman in the conference? seems like Castle already has the award wrapped up

BIG EAST​

Stephon Castle (Photo: Dylan Buell, Getty)
Leader at the turn: Stephon Castle (UConn): For the most part, the races for Conference Freshman of the Year are still pretty close and open to debate. This is not the case in the Big East. After dealing with injury issues early in the season, Castle is leading all Big East freshmen in scoring (11.7 points per game), rebounds (4.7) and assists (3.3). Not only that, he’s got a comfortable lead in each category.
The race is not even close. Castle is doing it on a Huskies team that has a very real shot at repeating as National Champions. Some five-star prospects don’t live up to the advance billing but Castle has been all of that and then more.

Names to Know:

Trey Green
(Xavier)

Brady Dunlap (St. John's)

Castle has been so much better than any other freshman in the Big East that it would be disingenuous to call anybody else a contender. Are there some other promising freshmen? Sure. But it’s hard to imagine that anybody – media or coach – is writing in a name other than Castle for the FOY award at this point.

The next highest scorer, per BartTorvik.com, is Xavier’s Trey Green who is averaging 6.9 point per game, but does have the single-game high for first-year players in the league with his 23-point outburst against Providence. The only other Big East first-year scorer over 5.0 points per game is St. John's Brady Dunlap.

Reaction Score

BIG EAST​

Names to Know:

Trey Green
(Xavier)

Castle has been so much better than any other freshman in the Big East that it would be disingenuous to call anybody else a contender. Are there some other promising freshmen? Sure. But it’s hard to imagine that anybody – media or coach – is writing in a name other than Castle for the FOY award at this point.

The next highest scorer, per BartTorvik.com, is Xavier’s Trey Green who is averaging 6.9 point per game, but does have the single-game high for first-year players in the league with his 23-point outburst against Providence. The only other Big East first-year scorer over 5.0 points per game is St. John's Brady Dunlap.

Look up 5 posts from yours. :)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a conference POY that hasn’t gotten any weekly awards? Cam is certainly on the short list for conference POY at this point. Although if he has a good game against GTown I think he wins his first one this week.
CPOY is between Carter and Kolek (if Marquette can win the regular season title).

Reaction Score
Cam Spencer has better metrics than both of them (except for Kolek’s Assist Rate) and in some of them it’s not even close.
Cam or Newton definitely are in this convo, especially if we win conference in convincing fashion. If Providence misses the tourney & we are a 1 overall seed, it would be tough to give him it IMO.

Reaction Score
CPOY is between Carter and Kolek (if Marquette can win the regular season title).
Unless PC finishes in the top 4, maybe 5, teams in the conference Carter is not winning the BEPOY. I submit to you the 2011 BEPOY as proof. Does anyone remember who won that award? Whatever happened to him after graduation?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Unless PC finishes in the top 4, maybe 5, teams in the conference Carter is not winning the BEPOY. I submit to you the 2011 BEPOY as proof. Does anyone remember who won that award? Whatever happened to him after graduation?
Stats don’t necessarily matter entirely for POY, have you seen Carter play?

Reaction Score
Stats don’t necessarily matter entirely for POY, have you seen Carter play?
Yes, a bunch of times. Friend of mine is a PC fan so I've been watching PC and rooting against them so I can bust on him. So if PC finishes .500 in conference play do you think he will win BEPOY?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The first BEPOY was on the 2nd worst team. So there is precident.

Reaction Score

BIG EAST​

Names to Know:

Trey Green
(Xavier)

I remember that Trey Green game at the AMP. He put that game away and had PC fans heading for the exits early. Xavier blew out PC in that game and had the AMP as quite as a library.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's interesting to compare team statistics to individual statistics.

https://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2023-2024/confldrs.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom