BE Presidents: Hold your horses! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BE Presidents: Hold your horses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hold on a second. We aren't just going to give someone what they want? What, did someone finally kick Aresco out of the room and let some big boys do some real "negotiating"?

Reaction Score
In a five sentence statement Herbst uses the word patience twice. It seems every time she has referenced our conference situation since Lousiville was picked by the ACC she has used the word patience.
She is asking us to be patient. My guess, or my hope, is that she knows there is someplace better for us.

I agree. My guess is that it may be because of the probation that we are not already in conference, but this may not be true at all. Still, I believe our destination is already chosen and their is something holding it up. Could be some legal issue or some other detail, I don't know. I would never have guessed we are B1G material, but after Rutgers was chosen, there is no doubt that is our future home. We were up for grabs, when Syracuse and Pitt were chosen by the ACC and we were left out. Again, I hope that is what will happen.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And you pass as the Moderator? I noticed you did not address my other predictions.

Probably because we have addressed it about 100,000 time already. I guess if you keep repeating your version for years, enough people will forget about it or there will be enough new people who weren't around for your original prediction and just believe what you are saying. But all of us who have been around here for a few years know your MO. For the life of me though, I cannot determine if you really believe what you are saying or if you know you are wrong, but just want to continue your schtick. Unfortunately, I think it is the first option there...which is very sad.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My predictions and many of them were roundly criticized at the time before being proven true:
  • We would be punished severely by the NCAA, while understood now at the time this was a minority view
  • We would win all NCAA Tournament games in 2011
  • In August 2011 I predicted Drummond would announce enrolling at UConn for Sept Classes
  • KO would be a good coach
  • Big man coaching would be hindered by Clyde leaving
  • Criticized JD's game prep - the 9 Turnover USF game his senior season was a signature validation of that and of course zero post season wins
  • I know you will say I overrated Jamal Coombs-McDaniel - I still think the guy could have helped us this year - and his rebound against PITT and the heads-up timeout was a huge play in the 2011 run, which was overshadowed by Kemba greatness

NO offense but I stated before anyone that Andre Would be at UConn.

Reaction Score
Frankly, desperation makes strange partners........and that's what it will take to get us (with our current leadership) into a major conference. We need to be a footnote in a bigger chain of events. The Big 10 taking 2 or more ACC schools or a combination of the SEC and the Big 10 adding schools.
Ironically, if and when we join the ACC, it will be more like the former Big East - Cuse, Pitt, BC, Ville, VT, The U, ND and Cincy. The only likely legacy ACC schools to continue the ACC would be Wake, Clemson, Duke and NCST.
Frankly, desperation makes strange partners........and that's what it will take to get us (with our current leadership) into a major conference. We need to be a footnote in a bigger chain of events. The Big 10 taking 2 or more ACC schools or a combination of the SEC and the Big 10 adding schools.
Ironically, if and when we join the ACC, it will be more like the former Big East - Cuse, Pitt, BC, Ville, VT, The U, ND and Cincy. The only likely legacy ACC schools to continue the ACC would be Wake, Clemson, Duke and NCST.
i would take that

Reaction Score
I agree. My guess is that it may be because of the probation that we are not already in conference, but this may not be true at all.
i can't imagine this is the case with the ACC. They took Louisville which is a nothing academically and they have two of the sleaziest Athletic departments in the country in UNC and the U.

Reaction Score
i can't imagine this is the case with the ACC. They took Louisville which is a nothing academically and they have two of the sleaziest Athletic departments in the country in UNC and the U.

I realize the "hands-off UConn, because they are on probation" is a stretch. But the issue is not with the incumbents (Ohio St in the B1G or UNC and Miami in the ACC). They are not up for vote. UConn was. Louisville was necessary as a replacement for Maryland. If my wild-ass-guess is right, UConn was off the table for some reason, and the ACC had little to choose from. Just guessing, but the more I think about what transpired, at that time, the more convinced I am that something like this happened. I hope 1/2 of my story is right and we end up in the ACC instead. I don't care. Just get out and get in.

Reaction Score
I realize the "hands-off UConn, because they are on probation" is a stretch. But the issue is not with the incumbents (Ohio St in the B1G or UNC and Miami in the ACC). They are not up for vote. UConn was. Louisville was necessary as a replacement for Maryland. If my wild-ass-guess is right, UConn was off the table for some reason, and the ACC had little to choose from. Just guessing, but the more I think about what transpired, at that time, the more convinced I am that something like this happened. I hope 1/2 of my story is right and we end up in the ACC instead. I don't care. Just get out and get in.

But UConn was not off the table at all. We know this because of the internal fight that took place and became very public. North Carolina was in UConn's corner, and though that might not be because they like UConn, we were definitely a proxy for UNC's wishes, and when UNC lost the battle, they made a public (and pretty embarrassing) statement.

When people have been quoted about UConn and the ACC over the years, the general take has been that Tobacco Road has favored Uconn. We have the quote about Duke and UNC's presidents being flabbergasted by BC's reasons for blackballing (because the Tobacco Road schools have 4 schools within an hour of one another), we read about the UNC President making statements about UConn and academics, we also read about the Florida State President of the Board who says in public that Tobacco Road ripped off the football schools by selling their tier 3 rights to ESPN while keeping the bball rights for themselves.

Reaction Score
But UConn was not off the table at all. We know this because of the internal fight that took place and became very public. North Carolina was in UConn's corner, and though that might not be because they like UConn, we were definitely a proxy for UNC's wishes, and when UNC lost the battle, they made a public (and pretty embarrassing) statement.

When people have been quoted about UConn and the ACC over the years, the general take has been that Tobacco Road has favored Uconn. We have the quote about Duke and UNC's presidents being flabbergasted by BC's reasons for blackballing (because the Tobacco Road schools have 4 schools within an hour of one another), we read about the UNC President making statements about UConn and academics, we also read about the Florida State President of the Board who says in public that Tobacco Road ripped off the football schools by selling their tier 3 rights to ESPN while keeping the bball rights for themselves.

The time frame I am talking about is very small. Correct my memory if I am wrong, but I believe the announcement of Maryland and Rutgers happened about Nov 20, and the announcement of Louisville to the ACC, about Nov 28. Aside from second hand quotes and speculation, I do not recall any evidence of an "internal fight" during this specific time frame, concerning UConn. I do not question your description about Tobacco Road and UConn prior to Nov 20 and a few days after. In fact, you are supporting my thesis in that UConn was the prime target after Nov 20. But what I am implying is that after the first couple of days of courting UConn, the ACC was told by us we are heading to the B1G, in due time (not sure why the delay). This last statement of mine is a guess and just a theory. If it is true, that would explain practically all the bizarre events that follow up to this point, including the sudden (as I remember it) change in the ACC decision making process, that basically focused only on Louisville. The cold shoulder treatment from the BE commissioner and the C7. Nothing that was published was directly from the ACC. It was just speculation about the internal disagreement on UConn. These articles made sense at the time because there was no other way to explain that UConn was no longer on the table.

I do not want to give false hope to anyone, but just trying to make sense out of it. This is the only way, as a UConn fan, that things can be explained. I am trying to replay the timeline and view articles ( the majority of which were just speculation, mind you) that either support or dismiss what I am saying. My greatest hope is based on this one fact: I know that UConn is not a worthless commodity.

Reaction Score
The time frame I am talking about is very small. Correct my memory if I am wrong, but I believe the announcement of Maryland and Rutgers happened about Nov 20, and the announcement of Louisville to the ACC, about Nov 28. Aside from second hand quotes and speculation, I do not recall any evidence of an "internal fight" during this specific time frame, concerning UConn. I do not question your description about Tobacco Road and UConn prior to Nov 20 and a few days after. In fact, you are supporting my thesis in that UConn was the prime target after Nov 20.

The FSU comments came last summer. The UNC comments came the day after. And no, UConn wasn't the prime target of the conference, just of Tobacco Road. My point is that UConn was by no means off limits because of APR issues.

In fact, Louisville also is on probation because of APR issues on football.

Reaction Score
The FSU comments came last summer. The UNC comments came the day after. And no, UConn wasn't the prime target of the conference, just of Tobacco Road. My point is that UConn was by no means off limits because of APR issues.

In fact, Louisville also is on probation because of APR issues on football.

Not what I am saying.

I am guessing that UConn was off limits to the ACC because it was already chosen by the B1G (but for some reason the announcement is pending - perhaps because of APR or something else). Without a public announcement the ACC did not know this until they approached UConn. Maybe not the prime target, but they were definitely the front runner, in the beginning, at least.

Look at what I am saying. I don't know about you, but if I was Warde or Susan and knew UConn was heading to the B1G, in due time, I too would be in the Virgin Is. enjoying the sun. I would also be using the word "be patient" often.

The whole APR issue being the reason for the delay is definitely a stretch. But it is just too obvious not to consider it as a reason.

Reaction Score
Not what I am saying.

I am guessing that UConn was off limits to the ACC because it was already chosen by the B1G (but for some reason the announcement is pending - perhaps because of APR or something else). Without a public announcement the ACC did not know this until they approached UConn. Maybe not the prime target, but they were definitely the front runner, in the beginning, at least.

Look at what I am saying. I don't know about you, but if I was Warde or Susan and knew UConn was heading to the B1G, in due time, I too would be in the Virgin Is. enjoying the sun. I would also be using the word "be patient" often.

The whole APR issue being the reason for the delay is definitely a stretch. But it is just too obvious not to consider it as a reason.
And do you really think that they would be able to keep that a secret this long?

Reaction Score
I spoke to a UConn Asst. AD before the Georgetown game. I asked him a question that I knew wouldn't be answered definitively even if there was a definitive answer. I asked what's the status on us getting into a better conference. He said be patient, there are a lot of changes yet to come, and that we would end up in a good place. Does that mean he knows something or is it just wishful thinking? Of course, that is what about 90% of the threads on this site are debating.

Reaction Score
And do you really think that they would be able to keep that a secret this long?

No. And that is perhaps the number one reason why this may all be garbage.

But remember when it comes to CR, there were a lot of surprises that came out of nowhere. Mixed with speculation and what people want to hear, anything can happen. But, no, it would be very difficult to keep a secret, I agree.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
In a five sentence statement Herbst uses the word patience twice. It seems every time she has referenced our conference situation since Lousiville was picked by the ACC she has used the word patience.
She is asking us to be patient. My guess, or my hope, is that she knows there is someplace better for us.

I am slowly coming to think along the same lines. Either everything the university has been doing has been one big coincidence or they are planning to make a move somewhere. I know that we have been screwed by the ACC time and time again and our leaders have screwed us (Blumenthal) but we really need to look at the last 6 months..
1. Move to Hockey East
2. Finally getting funding for Basketball complex
3. Movement on Hartford Civic Center (XL Center whatever it was a mall)
4. Huge investment on professors
5. AAU push
6. State aid raining in as we are in fiscalhole
7. Major research and technology park planned
8. We don't' look like yahoos anymore begging people to take us like Cincy

The continued call for patience in a desperate situation has to mean we are either still working behind the scenes or something has been decided. I think things are looking up and until mens basketball is out of tournament ban time nothing is being announced.

Reaction Score
I am slowly coming to think along the same lines. Either everything the university has been doing has been one big coincidence or they are planning to make a move somewhere. I know that we have been screwed by the ACC time and time again and our leaders have screwed us (Blumenthal) but we really need to look at the last 6 months..
1. Move to Hockey East
2. Finally getting funding for Basketball complex
3. Movement on Hartford Civic Center (XL Center whatever it was a mall)
4. Huge investment on professors
5. AAU push
6. State aid raining in as we are in fiscalhole
7. Major research and technology park planned
8. We don't' look like yahoos anymore begging people to take us like Cincy

The continued call for patience in a desperate situation has to mean we are either still working behind the scenes or something has been decided. I think things are looking up and until mens basketball is out of tournament ban time nothing is being announced.

If we are already in the B1G, maybe President Herbst could let us boneyarders know in code by using the phrase "all we need is just a little patience" in her next e-mail blast on the subject? This, or any other phrase from a Guns and Roses lyric, and we will get the message.

Reaction Score
I spoke to a UConn Asst. AD before the Georgetown game. I asked him a question that I knew wouldn't be answered definitively even if there was a definitive answer. I asked what's the status on us getting into a better conference. He said be patient, there are a lot of changes yet to come, and that we would end up in a good place. Does that mean he knows something or is it just wishful thinking? Of course, that is what about 90% of the threads on this site are debating.

A good place right now is a relative term. With desperation for a Big 10 or ACC invite looking bleaker every day, and schools backing out on their Big East commitments and others splitting to form their own league - any place could be considered better. Conference USA or MAC may be about right if things keep trending.

Reaction Score

This train of thinking raises an interesting hypothetical question.

Make believe we are in the time-frame of the ACC choosing Syracuse and Pitt. UConn just got blind sided. Say that Delany comes along and says, "UConn sit tight, we have a spot reserved for you, but __(fill in the conditions or reasons__) ". What would you do? What would you do if, later on, the ACC comes along courting you? What would Susan do in both situations?

Do you commit to a B1G promise or do you ask/demand something more legal/written? Do you then turn around and shop yourself to the ACC?

I especially would like the opinion from 'yarders with legal insight or whose job revolves around contracts and deal making (- mafia deals, cartels...:) )

Personally, I would accept it in a heartbeat, with few questions asked. Remember to put yourself in that time-frame, not now, because knowing what we know now, the answer is obvious.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think nothing is certain, except for the fact that if UConn fans stop buying tickets and support for bball / football starts heading south, that will reduce the chances of getting in a major conference, regardless of what that unknown chance currently is. Hence the need to "sell" Houston, UCF etc as viable conference mates. UConn fans can say this conference is a worse fit for us than the OBE / NBE and they'd be telling the truth, but Herbst and Manuel have to pretend it's not in order to prevent the fanbase from dropping off, since nobody except Jim Delany knows when the next CR moves will happen and until then we're going to have to sell those tickets.

Reaction Score
I think nothing is certain, except for the fact that if UConn fans stop buying tickets and support for bball / football starts heading south, that will reduce the chances of getting in a major conference, regardless of what that unknown chance currently is. Hence the need to "sell" Houston, UCF etc as viable conference mates. UConn fans can say this conference is a worse fit for us than the OBE / NBE and they'd be telling the truth, but Herbst and Manuel have to pretend it's not in order to prevent the fanbase from dropping off, since nobody except Jim Delany knows when the next CR moves will happen and until then we're going to have to sell those tickets.

I agree with this. We need to act like (and should be) the perfect conference mate. We have to be enthusiastic and fill the seats and support the school, which is exactly what Susan is asking. Ultimately a good product can not be ignored for long. We need to maintain the good product we have.

Reaction Score
If we are already in the B1G, maybe President Herbst could let us boneyarders know in code by using the phrase "all we need is just a little patience" in her next e-mail blast on the subject? This, or any other phrase from a Guns and Roses lyric, and we will get the message.

Do you have any of her messages in audio? Maybe we can play it backwards and the secret will come out???

C

Chief00

NO offense but I stated before anyone that Andre Would be at UConn.

UConnBill you did say that first - that Andre would go to UConn. What I was taking credit for was saying in August 2011 that he was going to UConn in September of 2011. At the time it was assumed if he did go to UConn it would be in 2012/2013.
Last year was so unstable for all the reasons already mentioned I wish he had waited another year - but would he come here with no post season?

C

Chief00

You don't get to tout things like "I predicted they would in all NCAA tournament games." So did almost every Husky fan.
You don't get to tout things like "I predicted Kevin Ollie would be a good coach." Huh? That means you have inside information?
Nobody debated that Clyde Vaughan was a good big man coach. It borders on Ahab-like insanity to suggest we could and should have kept someone on the public's payroll who was arrested for soliciting a prostitute. As if that wouldn't have been easily used against us in recruiting on top of all the other issues.
They were not punished severely for Nate Miles, which is what you had suggested would happen. You were proven wrong, and then, after that suggested that the APR BS was somehow related, and that it validated you're point of view.
You overesteemed Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and borderline committed libel against Dyson.

Also, going around and calling the president of the university Suzy is offensive (no offense to suzyq, who obviously goes by that). It suggests you are somehow superior to her in ways that more than a little suggestive of sexism....coupled with you criticizing her of speaking up against men. Doesn't make you look good, chief, not at all.

I said the combination APR and Recruiting/Miles sanctions would be severe - it was.
I will call Susan Susan. And her conference realignment record speaks for itself.
Truth is a defense from Libel.

Reaction Score
I said the combination APR and Recruiting/Miles sanctions would be severe - it was.
I will call Susan Susan. And her conference realignment record speaks for itself.
Truth is a defense from Libel.
The first thing you said is not true: you said that Recruiting/Miles would be a problem. That wasn't true. APR is not related, and you argued, after the fact, that they were.

I think Herbst has been very good thus far. I'm not sure her immediate reaction to Syracuse and Pitt leaving was best, but I think she's handled herself fine since.

The best defense from libel is saying things which can't be proven wrong, in your case.

Honestly, I've read many on the court things you've posted before and thought they were interesting. You "behind-the-scenes" bits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom