BE Bubble Update (3/15/24) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

BE Bubble Update (3/15/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK it’s 3:30 Sunday. Selection Sunday. Which BE teams are in?
Seton Hall should be in, but losing to St. John’s by 19 in the BE tournament might have killed them. They had a better season than St. John’s and won 2 of 3 against them. Both teams could go either way. PC definitely seems to be on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
I think we get 4. Flip a coin between SH and St. John’s for who gets to be the 4th team
I hope so, St John's and to a lesser extent Seton Hall deserve it. St John's has a chance to win a few games over some of these mediocre power conference teams like Virginia or Oklahoma or even Michigan State. I just fear the middle of the Big East was too even and beat each other up to the point nobody looks good to the committee

Reaction Score
I hope so, St John's and to a lesser extent Seton Hall deserve it. St John's has a chance to win a few games over some of these mediocre power conference teams like Virginia or Oklahoma or even Michigan State. I just fear the middle of the Big East was too even and beat each other up to the point nobody looks good to the committee
Sadly I think that might be the case for these bubble BE teams. I just think it is bull kaka that Michigan St., Virginia, or Oklahoma can be in the NCAAT and I have seen them on many Bracketlogists projections. What the hell has Michigan St., Virginia, or Oklahoma done that is so noteworthy? The Big 12 shouldn't be getting 9 teams in, no way. Big 12 getting 6 teams in, okay.

Edit a few minutes later: And to anyone that thinks I am having a Big East bias, you are correct, not 100% but on some level. Put aside my BE bias, I think Indiana State should be in ahead of those 3 teams I listed above.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
it's a joke that the MWC might get 6, but the big east, only 3.
I’ll bite- how? They did what they needed to do to be on the right side of the bubble, moreso than the teams that will more than likely be out such as Seton Hall, Providence, etc. The season was played the resumes are the resumes and theirs are better. It’s not that hard to understand and certainly not a “joke”

Reaction Score
I’ll bite- how? They did what they needed to do to be on the right side of the bubble, moreso than the teams that will more than likely be out such as Seton Hall, Providence, etc. The season was played the resumes are the resumes and theirs are better. It’s not that hard to understand and certainly not a “joke”
the big east is objectively the second best conference in the country. the MWC is seventh. QED.

Reaction Score
Those fans deserve it imo. He's not here dancing on our grave like many posters in this forum love to do by going to other fans sites and troll them when they're down. If he went to the Providence or Georgetown forums and did this I would be upset with it.

If I knew that individual was uncomfortable with your action I wouldn't have supported it. It would have been a tough call because he incited many of the members of the Boneyard to make a scapegoat of Dyson and actually encouraged students to follow him around campus to report his behavior and get him in trouble.
I mean, if we went back to me versus an unnamed poster who buys his partner CVS chocolates for Valentines, I'd remind people that I simply put upside down smiles a post or two, and then that unnamed poster absolutely attacked me. Which was absolutely hilarious. There's always a goldmine of fun to be had when someone you needle is definitely in no way at all mad on the internet.

Reaction Score
If I see Mich. St. name called in the Selection Show at 6 PM, I will be annoyed for sure. I would rather see Indiana St. get that spot.
Those two teams played and Mich St handled them head to head. I'm not a big proponent of head to head, But a double digit head to head win as a tiebreaker seems legit to me

Reaction Score
The single biggest reason the Big East isn't getting more bids... Is us. We played in 23 games against Big East teams and won 21 of them. We had an awesome non-conference performance and then didn't really share any of that with the rest of the conference, and instead took their lunch money. And then we precluded any conference bubble teams from stealing a bid.

Last year we were generous with our largesse. This year we were stingy and kept it all for ourselves. And we'll get the number one overall.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma or Mich St should be out & St.John's should be in.....but should be doesn't always happen.

Reaction Score
Those two teams played and Mich St handled them head to head. I'm not a big proponent of head to head, But a double digit head to head win as a tiebreaker seems legit to me
good point, that's right. I remember seeing that on Michigan State's schedule. Damn.

Reaction Score
The single biggest reason the Big East isn't getting more bids... Is us. We played in 23 games against Big East teams and won 21 of them. We had an awesome non-conference performance and then didn't really share any of that with the rest of the conference, and instead took their lunch money. And then we precluded any conference bubble teams from stealing a bid.

Last year we were generous with our largesse. This year we were stingy and kept it all for ourselves. And we'll get the number one overall.
A lot truth here as beating UConn this year and last year was almost a punched ticket to the NCAAT. However another thing that might be a bigger factor, when looking at the non conference of St. John's and Seton Hall it just looks, well, lackluster. SJU losing to Juwan Howard's Michigan is a big fat pimple on the upper lip while walking to the entrance of the dance club. And they lost to Dayton, another bubble team from the A10. Seton Hall losing to Iowa, USC, and Rutgers didn't help their cause and helped the Big 10 metrics. I am thinking Providence has the best chance out of the BE bubble teams as they have a decent Q1 record, some good non-conference wins if I recall. After yesterday's results with the bid thieves my head is just spinning.

Reaction Score
Sadly I think that might be the case for these bubble BE teams. I just think it is bull kaka that Michigan St., Virginia, or Oklahoma can be in the NCAAT and I have seen them on many Bracketlogists projections. What the hell has Michigan St., Virginia, or Oklahoma done that is so noteworthy? The Big 12 shouldn't be getting 9 teams in, no way. Big 12 getting 6 teams in, okay.

Edit a few minutes later: And to anyone that thinks I am having a Big East bias, you are correct, not 100% but on some level. Put aside my BE bias, I think Indiana State should be in ahead of those 3 teams I listed above.
Having said all of this, Michigan St. beat Indiana St. by double digits and Oklahoma beat Providence by 21 FWIW.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
the big east is objectively the second best conference in the country. the MWC is seventh. QED.
Doesn’t really have anything to do with whether or not you have a NCAA Tournament resume

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I were on the committee, I'd give Iowa St the last 1 seed.
Two of Auburn, IAST, and UNC in the West as 1/2. Personally, I'd go IAST/UNC out west, pair Auburn with Purdue, Marquette with Houston and Tennessee with UConn. That's pretty balanced and inline with the resumes and Net rankings.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
big east teams gamed the metrics by playing 3 Q4 games in league play and blowing those teams out while other conferences actually had serious schedules.

schitts creek oh snap GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
Why would Oklahoma be in over St John’s? St John’s has better, net, Ken Pom, Conf record, and Oklahoma has lost 6 of last 8 games and their 2 wins were lucky OT wins.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The committee was probably right to eliminate whatever weighting they gave to last 10 games. But they probably should have something related to last two months, or conference season. There just shouldn't be any teams with sub .500 conference records competing for tourney slots. And so much changes during the course of a season, especially now with the portal. Several teams are significantly different now and much more competitive than they were in 2023 or even early January (e.g. SJU, Pitt).

For example, here's Torvik rank for 10 bubble teams from the start of the season thru 1/16 vs their rank from 1/17-today:
Colorado 44/20
MSU 9/40 (probably still deserve a slot)
TAMU 56/34
Okla 21/55
SJU 25/16 (how on earth can they be out?)
UVA 66/47
Indy St 24/57
Hall 62/48
Pitt 73/24
Prov 48/59

If I were to pick four of these based on that info, I'd go SJU, MSU, Colorado, and OK (reluctantly). And a case could easily be made that Indiana St. is more qualfied than either Northwestern or Washington St. TAMU and Pitt miss by a hair.

Reaction Score
The committee was probably right to eliminate whatever weighting they gave to last 10 games. But they probably should have something related to last two months, or conference season. There just shouldn't be any teams with sub .500 conference records competing for tourney slots. And so much changes during the course of a season, especially now with the portal. Several teams are significantly different now and much more competitive than they were in 2023 or even early January (e.g. SJU, Pitt).

For example, here's Torvik rank for 10 bubble teams from the start of the season thru 1/16 vs their rank from 1/17-today:
Colorado 44/20
MSU 9/40 (probably still deserve a slot)
TAMU 56/34
Okla 21/55
SJU 25/16 (how on earth can they be out?)
UVA 66/47
Indy St 24/57
Hall 62/48
Pitt 73/24
Prov 48/59

If I were to pick four of these based on that info, I'd go SJU, MSU, Colorado, and OK (reluctantly). And a case could easily be made that Indiana St. is more qualfied than either Northwestern or Washington St. TAMU and Pitt miss by a hair.
The net rewards mediocre wins. Beat creighton and bradey on road. Quad 1. Need 7-8 quads. Big east victim of 2 title contenders and 2 duds. Math screwed everyone else

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but the Big East only got 3 teams in the dance because only 3 teams from the Big East were good enough to make the dance.

On the bright side, those three teams are all highly seeded and each should earn multiple tournament credits for the league.

Reaction Score
Bro, he's trolling. It isn't existential or depression. Trolls like getting a rise out of people, and every single time he posts mocking the Big East he gets a rise out of someone. So he keeps doing it. It's what @August_West does under a pseudonym on like 5 other sites, and he's pretty darn happy with UConn's performance, so...
For every troll, there’s a bunch of homers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom