BCU Upset Alert???? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BCU Upset Alert????

Reaction Score
what impact does the $2billion in advertising revenue have on this equation. I have to believe the major beer producers and car manufacturers would pay increased rates to keep a presence with that group of consumers.
Sure, advertising is important, but subscriber revenues are substantially higher than advertising revenues.

83 million subscribers x $9/month = $750 million per month in subscriber fees or $9 billion per year. The estimate is that ESPN's subscriber count is down 25% from the peak, but much of the decline has been offset by price increases. Consumers are moving to streaming and the cable companies are pushing back on pricing, which is the reason Xfinity doesn't carry the ACC Network.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Disney/ABC/ESPN get paid by Hulu, Roku, et al....

Good explanation of ESPN strategy...cable and streaming...and money breakdown:

You do understand the numbers I quoted INCLUDED Hulu, Roku, etc. They are losing a significant number of subs. Investors are optimistic on Disney+, but somewhat cautious on ESPN+. Why do you think Disney is thinking about spinning off ESPN?

Reaction Score
I do understand...and I read the strategy article which does a fairly good job of explaining the values and strategies....of Disney..ESPN and why they are slow playing streaming....ESPN subscriber numbers have been decreasing with revenue loss offset by higher affiliate charges and ad charges...

At some point, that strategy becomes unsustainable...I suspect in any customer chosen ala carte type bundle, costs for some channels will increase or the channel will die....Of the 100's of channels that I receive, I only watch less than a double handful...and I am probably representative.

The content value that folks will pay for in sufficient numbers will drive....thinned out if not bundled? Cooking shows, religious channels, sales channels, and many more...or you will pay for them. ESPN will be in demand for content...the question remains if the public will pony up the money...

"When Disney decides the time is right, a bundle of Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN is a compelling replacement product for traditional pay-TV. Hulu with ads is $6 per month. Disney+ is $6 or $7 per month. If Disney were to make a standalone ESPN service at $10 per month, it would earn $22-$23 a month from consumers. That’s more than the $16.10 it takes in today."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Discussed ad nauseum...but

Yep, this quote from the article you linked sums up the narrative for the replacement of Maryland:

Rumor has it that Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Virginia wanted UConn at first, but were "persuaded" by a group of schools let by Clemson and Florida State, along with Virginia Tech.

As long as we are linking articles, regarding the first expansion opportunity when Cuse joined and BCU "blackballed" UConn:

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn. “We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Reaction Score
Semi-related topic, but when did BC become BCU? I had never heard that before until figuring it out on the BY. (Took me a while, but I'm old.)

Reaction Score
Semi-related topic, but when did BC become BCU? I had never heard that before until figuring it out on the BY. (Took me a while, but I'm old.)
Media outlet error.

On a side note, maybe UMass should build a 30-40k seat stadium in Springfield.

CL82

Reaction Score
When they joined the ACC they were announced as Boston College University.

Reaction Score
ESPN isn't doing that badly...college football viewing boomed in 2019...

• ESPN's networks averaged 1,742,000 viewers during the telecasts of the 247 regular season games it produced in 2019, or a 6% increase above the 2018 season.
  • ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU combined averaged 8.5 million viewers in prime time each week of the college football season, equivalent to having a top ten most-viewed game each week of the season.
College football on ESPN/ABC is struggling this year, especially the ACC contests. Here is a comparison of the viewers for 2020 time slots vs 2019 time slots on ESPN or ABC:

Clemson/Wake Forest = -60%
GT/FSU = -46%
Miami/Louisville = +5%
FSU/Miami = -19%
UNC/BC = -55%
Miami/Clemson = -31%
VT/UNC = -44%
Louisville/GT = -2%
Clemson/GT = +5%
UNC/FSU = -41%
ND/Pitt = -31%
NC St./UNC = -69%

The ND games on NBC are doing well, but they are not part of ESPN/ABC.

End of the day, the ACC suffers from having too many schools in NC, not enough good football teams (FSU is not a draw anymore), and few flagship state universities.

Reaction Score
Alas..we are now like the Big East...awaiting basketball season....

Strange season...the Top Ten most watched college football games through October are way down from the ten most watched totals last year.

NBA Finals....down 49%

Stanley Cup Final...down 61%

US Open Final.Round...down 56%

MLB Division Series...down 40%

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
It turned out to be a massive mistake for BCU. Their FB is basically unchanged. They have the occasional decent year when they happen to bring in a good QB. But their basketball program has dropped from irrelevant to laughing stock.
It was shortsighted for sure. The were operating under a "single pie" analysis ("whatever UConn gains we lose) when the better model is the "rising tide lift all boats" analysis ("UConn in the ACC doesn't cost us a dollar and having a regional competitor is improves gate, enthusiasm and recruiting for our program.")

Reaction Score
It turned out to be a massive mistake for BCU. Their FB is basically unchanged. They have the occasional decent year when they happen to bring in a good QB. But their basketball program has dropped from irrelevant to laughing stock.
No matter how few are interested in them. they are still getting their massive payout from ESPN/ACC no matter what. Therefore, it was not a mistake, but genius for them to start the destruction of the old Big East and UConn.

Reaction Score
That is very funny! Best laugh I have had this week!
Why not? Isn't Springfield being reinvented as a tourist destination for the rednecks of northern New England and western Massachusetts? Throw in a college football stadium and maybe some basketball games and UMass can maybe get somewhere. Springfield can most definitely use FBS games.

McGuirk won't work, so why not put a new stadium near or in Springfield? That would really boost UMass, IMO. Thank God I am not paying for it. UMass does have some alumni of importance, surprisingly. Ask the crown prince of Mysore of India for donations; he graduated from there.

Reaction Score
No matter how few are interested in them. they are still getting their massive payout from ESPN/ACC no matter what. Therefore, it was not a mistake, but genius for them to start the destruction of the old Big East and UConn.
UConn is completely destroyed. We might even get kicked out of the Hockey East for not being invited to the ACC in 2014.

/s

Reaction Score
Hockey was/is meaningless in conference realignment.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I swear, some of you care more about BC than the city of Boston itself.

If UConn starts winning consistently everything will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
Why not? Isn't Springfield being reinvented as a tourist destination for the rednecks of northern New England and western Massachusetts? Throw in a college football stadium and maybe some basketball games and UMass can maybe get somewhere. Springfield can most definitely use FBS games.

McGuirk won't work, so why not put a new stadium near or in Springfield? That would really boost UMass, IMO. Thank God I am not paying for it. UMass does have some alumni of importance, surprisingly. Ask the crown prince of Mysore of India for donations; he graduated from there.

You might have some logic in your musings but we are talking Massachusetts Politicians! They had issues building private stadiums.

Reaction Score
You might have some logic in your musings but we are talking Massachusetts Politicians! They had issues building private stadiums.
McGuirk has to be rebuilt or replaced, regardless. So it's pretty much do or die for Massachusetts and UMass.

Reaction Score
McGuirk has to be rebuilt or replaced, regardless. So it's pretty much do or die for Massachusetts and UMass.

it just underwent some renovations last year (including new turf fields).

Reaction Score
it just underwent some renovations last year (including new turf fields).
Capacity is only 17,000. It was built to keep up with everyone else in 1960 but now outdated for what is the 4th oldest FBS program. UMass really can grow, but need a stadium that suits their goals.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Went to McGuirk for the UConn game last yr. It is a glorified 1-AA stadium- no amenities, small.. They would need a new stadium but there isn't enough interest in UMass football for that to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom