BCS 2.0 will be 6 bowls, with guaranteed spot for highest Big East/non-AQ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BCS 2.0 will be 6 bowls, with guaranteed spot for highest Big East/non-AQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Then that's what they should have done in order to not be misleading.

It's picking which schools to choose and which to exclude, but you can't include WVU and Miami along with Boise St, because Boise St wouldn't be in the Big East if Miami and WVU left. And if they were, they would have had to play WVU and Miami, and probably wouldn't have had the record they did. So, I'm sorry, but it's still pretty misleading.

Enjoy it if you want, I think stuff like that is just a waste of time because it replaces factual history with pretend history and makes assumptions that the results would have been the same. What's the point of that?

The reason I'm saying that it's not misleading is that the author is including Boise on the Big East side of the ledger. So it was clear what his/her intent was.

If you think there is a better way to represent what "would have been" with this system in place, then go for it. Look them up and see if the author has over-stated, under-stated, or appropriately stated what would have been the Big East representation throughout the last decade. Or don't. I'm not sure I care, but if you care, and if I were you, that's how I would handle it...

Reaction Score
Better than getting boxed out all together which is where we were?

Were we? I thought it was always a spot for the "at large" winner which is basically what we got here. I am just trying to see how this is different from what was reported weeks ago and how this is a good thing.

What is the advantage to being in the Big East under this format than say the CUSA? We don't get any inside track or advantage, it's all soley derived on ranking which is independent of conference standings. So while we have tougher opponents due to having a better conference a team that wins the Big East but with 2 or more losses is going to lose out to a CUSA team that managed to run the table with their weaker schedule.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For BE teams the advantage rests in the perception that it is a stronger league / schedule than the conferences formerly known as non-BCS AQ conferences (now known as gang of five apparently) since there will be a selection committee as there is for bball. Boise was anticipating this scenario (the other possibility being the continuation of BCS 1.0 with a BE AQ bid) and it seems BYU wasn't - or is just placing other considerations ahead of access to the big bowls.

My guess is that BYU's future will be decided by 1) how good of a schedule they think they can get as an indy (probably not good enough) 2) whether they actually care about getting selected for the contract bowls (they probably do, but who knows) 3) whether they think they can get a better invite than the NNBE (recall that they were a rumored target for the B12). They might try to wait a couple more years to see how things shake out, and how their TV network fares. While I think it's a safe assumption that the NNBE's strength of schedule will outpace the other gang of five conferences, and that the best NNBE teams can continue to compete with ACC / Big Ten on the field, over time the revenue gap - and hence the funds available for a football program / HC salary - from the NNBE to any of the "power five" might get bigger.

Bottom line - Aresco better do whatever he can to get BYU on board ASAP.

Reaction Score
Key for the Big East will be for there not to be a distinction between the conferences like AQ and non-AQ. That'll have a major effect on recruiting. With 16 schools going to major bowl games I envision several years where the BE will have 2 schools in the party. Both UL and RU would have been there this year if they did not slip up very winnable games.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
NYC, I think a big key for the BE will be whether the playoff remains at 4 teams (there were some quotes a while ago that expansion past 4 is not in the cards for the forseeable future). It won't be easy for NNBE teams to get access to the top 4, I know some will argue that Cinci would have been in the mix but this will be decided by a selection committee and the big traditional schools will have political influence in the process. Granted, there will be public support for expansion for sure, and maybe Boise or Louisville will improve to where they can argue they deserve a top 4 playoff bid. (For any NNBE team, they will have to have multiple years of dominance so they can start the season ranked high). But over the long haul, I just think it'll be tough for the BE to get in the 4 team playoff and that could dampen the ceiling for recruiting at a school like Boise.

Reaction Score
New college football playoff includes access for Big East champion

If the Big East champion is the top-ranked champion among the Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt and Mid-American Conferences, it will be assured a spot in one of college football's top six bowl games when the new playoff structure takes hold in 2014.

Boise State joins the Big East in 2013. In 2013, the Big East champion is assured of a spot in the BCS.

In 2014, the Big East champion (or the highest-ranked champion from one of the other leagues) will be assured of a spot in one of three "host bowls." Those games are expected to be the Fiesta Bowl outside Phoenix, the Cotton Bowl outside of Dallas and the Chick-Fil-A Bowl in Atlanta.

If this system had been in place in the past (and using the BCS Standings for the rankings), a team from the Big East would've been the highest-ranked team of the five conference champions in seven of the last nine years:
2011: Boise State (No. 7); Highest non-Big East: Southern Miss (No. 21)
2010: Boise State (No. 10); Highest non-Big East: Hawaii (No. 23)
2009: Cincinnati (No. 3); Highest non-Big East: None in top 25
2008: Boise State (No. 9); Highest-non Big East: Ball State (No. 22)
2007: Hawaii (No. 10); Highest Big East: South Florida (No. 21)
2006: Louisville (No. 6); Highest non-Big East: None in top 25
2005: Louisville (No. 19); Highest non-Big East: None in top 25
2004: Boise State (No. 9); Highest non-Big East: None in top 25
2003: Miami (Ohio) (No. 11); Highest Big East: Boise State (No. 17)

A Big East team is also eligible for the four-team playoff if chosen by a selection committee.

Read more here: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/20...cludes_access_big_east_champion#storylink=cpy
What happens in a year like 2009? Assume cincy would be in the playoff. Would next best team get to the host bowl?

Also what is the difference between a contract bowl and host bowl?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Two good things come of this:

1. BYU will now head to a conference to have a shot at bowl access. They will likely pick the BE.

2. This is significantly better than no access at all.

We are officially a little league program. I don't think our f-ball program necessarily "deserves" better -- Rutgers, SDSU, Houston, SMU, USF, etc are all similar programs to us -- but the athletic department as a whole sure as hell deserves to be in a major conference.

Reaction Score
The whole system stinks and is fundamentally anticompetitive. This dooms the second tier to the second tier forever. The Caste system is back in formal attire.

Reaction Score
Isn't that misleading since Boise State wasn't in the Big East?

If the format were in place, the Big East would have had a BCS representative only 3 times. Cincy, and Louisville twice.

Boise State would have taken the spot 4 times as a member of the MWC.

Competitively, Boise State has very little reason to join the Big East. The money will hopefully be too much to pass up, but in terms of access, they should stay where they are.
To calculate the revenue distribution they went back to 1998 and counted all BCS wins for a schools new conference. WVU counted towards big12, Pitt and Syr for acc. Boise counted towards the be.

If the BCS committee can rewrite history, would seem fair to do the same here.

Reaction Score
I believe ND has an in for the Orange Bowl. That one is ACC vs some stuff from big 12/SEC/ND according to that ESPN link.

I don't know how that format makes things any more difficult for BYU than it would for any Big East team. It's still who ranks the highest out of all the rest, if that's BYU wouldnt they get that spot regardless of what conference they're in or if they're independent still?

I just don't see this as good news, I see this as bad news as it's lumping us in with the scrub conferences despite teams in our conference having to play more difficult conference schedules. That might be reflected to some degree in the ranking format but a team with an undefeated record from the MWC is likely going to be ranked ahead of a Big East team that goes in with 2 or 3 losses but wins the conference.
Don't forget SOS will be a key factor. This will hurt be, but will also hurt the other conferences more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's really not about the access as much as it is about the payout.

It appears the Big East is going to be screwed over royally when it comes to the payout.

Competing financially with even the ACC going forward is going to be difficult even if the TV deals are in the same universe (which is doubtful at best).

junglehusky

Reaction Score
The whole system stinks and is fundamentally anticompetitive. This dooms the second tier to the second tier forever. The Caste system is back in formal attire.
Well, at least there will still be a gap between the NNBE and the other stepchild conferences. I think Boise & SDSU will solidify that, and they're not going back now. So the NNBE will be in limbo between the first and second tiers, which is better than being in the second tier. Of course, as ConnHuskBask points out, it is not as good as being in the first tier.

Reaction Score
Two good things come of this:

1. BYU will now head to a conference to have a shot at bowl access. They will likely pick the BE.

2. This is significantly better than no access at all.

We are officially a little league program. I don't think our f-ball program necessarily "deserves" better -- Rutgers, SDSU, Houston, SMU, USF, etc are all similar programs to us -- but the athletic department as a whole sure as hell deserves to be in a major conference.
I wouldn't say we are little league. We easily have the best "Group of Five" conference. Schools would leave the others to join us in a heartbeat. Our athletic department is one of the very few east of the Mississippi next in line to go to a major conference (UConn, Louisville, Rutgers and maybe Cincinnati; USF and UCF have a long way to go). The Big East has been a major conference, it's just that the modus operandi of the Big East has been exposed. Now, we're seen as a conference who develops athletic departments for the pleasure of the big boys. If we never stepped up in football, we'd be doomed right now.

Reaction Score

This is how I take it. I cannot see this in any good light, we're basically screwed here as we went from an AQ conference to now one in the same as the MAC, MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt. I can't see how that is spun into a good thing. I thought this was the end result that was so fervently being fought over to ensure didnt happen.

Reaction Score
This is how I take it. I cannot see this in any good light, we're basically screwed here as we went from an AQ conference to now one in the same as the MAC, MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt. I can't see how that is spun into a good thing. I thought this was the end result that was so fervently being fought over to ensure didnt happen.

Agreed. I always held out a little bit of hope, but this just seals it for me. We are no different than the other small time conferences now. Sick to my stomach.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I always held out a little bit of hope, but this just seals it for me. We are no different than the other small time conferences now. Sick to my stomach.

And....we have more difficult academic requirements.

Reaction Score
The way polls look right now is how they will still look. We'll have 2 or 3 teams in the top 25. Our schools are just that strong. Most athletes would rather be in the Big East than all other lower level coference schools. C-USA might develop some competition. I'd like to see where ODU goes.

Reaction Score
Its a sandwich to the Big East. No other conference got as royally screwed as the BE did. The non qualifying conferences got a new member to their club. The now 5 AQ conferences, were all too happy to push us there.

Going forward where is the money going to come from for the Big East to compete against the ACC when it comes to facilities, coaches etc.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Going forward where is the money going to come from for the Big East to compete against the ACC when it comes to facilities, coaches etc.

It just won't be there as much as that sucks.

Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia got the last 3 life vests and are clearly in with the haves as we are grouped into the same group as Rice, Tulane, Colorado State, etc.

What is possibly most infuriating about the whole shake up is that coming off our Fiesta Bowl appearance we were so well positioned to really become the preeminent team in the Northeast. BC was down, Rutgers was well Rutgers, Syracuse was still recovering from G-Rob, the Paterno era was coming to an end (and now the whole Sandusky situation), Pitt had been mired in mediocrity and Maryland had been underwhelming as well.

It was really just there on a plate for UConn.

We got screwed by things out of hands (realignment) and screwed ourselves with the Pasqualoni hiring. Not sure where we go from here.

Reaction Score
And it is already hard enough to recruit here. It's about to get even tougher.

Ugh.

Reaction Score

The AQ was gone one way or the other post 2013. I'm not saying this is the best case but it's better than where it was headed. This at least guarantees the BE access to the 6 higher level bowl games, where before today (for post 2013) there was no guarantees the "5 red headed step children" would have any access to the 6 games. That's why the BE was fighting for a 7th Bowl - but that was going down in flames and not viable. This has always been about access.

edit - here is the latest ESPN spin from McMurphy:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...x-bowls-pool-college-football-semifinal-games

Reaction Score
What happens in a year like 2009? Assume cincy would be in the playoff. Would next best team get to the host bowl?

Also what is the difference between a contract bowl and host bowl?

The spots in the contract bowls are reserved for teams that have deals with those bowls. The contract bowls are: Rose (Pac-12 vs. Big Ten); Sugar (SEC vs. Big 12) and Orange (ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame).

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Football upgrade was such a waste. Halcyon promises of homecoming weekends against major programs, star-studded matchups with Miami/VT, regional rivalries with BC and Syracuse...replaced with Temple and Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom