BCGenius giggled as he filed this one | The Boneyard

BCGenius giggled as he filed this one

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Most people have the ability to download an app to listen to the game if they can’t get it on their radio. This is UConn getting with the times. The podcasts, updates, and coverage is just what UConn needs right now. They need to tap into a younger fan base that due to poor play on the court/field they’ve struggled to develop interest in. Sorry that Joe Shmoe flip phone, no internet at home, cry baby can’t listen to the game. It’s 2018, wake up. Not everyone in UConn Nation is 75.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Most people have the ability to download an app to listen to the game if they can’t get it on their radio. This is UConn getting with the times. The podcasts, updates, and coverage is just what UConn needs right now. They need to tap into a younger fan base that due to poor play on the court/field they’ve struggled to develop interest in. Sorry that Joe Shmoe flip phone, no internet at home, cry baby can’t listen to the game. It’s 2018, wake up. Not everyone in UConn Nation is 75.

Sure thing. You do know you can actually do both? And cars have these things called radios. And if you are in a car... the place you are most likely to LISTEN INSTEAD OF WATCH they are generally fitted with simple free technology that allows you to listen to radio stations.. for free... and they are quite easy to use.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For comparison sake, my buddy and I drove out to the Poconos for a wedding on Friday evening. We lost the Dibble show in Waterbury but could hear the Sox game on 1080 in Scranton.

Reaction Score
For those in eastern Connecticut, another option is 95.3 FM which is a low power relay of 1400 AM out of Willimantic. Problem for me is that the 95.3 signal dies out just outside of Norwich where I live.

Reaction Score
For comparison sake, my buddy and I drove out to the Poconos for a wedding on Friday evening. We lost the Dibble show in Waterbury but could hear the Sox game on 1080 in Scranton.

And I was listening to the Yankee game yesterday in the Cape on 660, that's great and all but the deal between WTIC & IMG sucked that there was no online content piece at all. There are affiliates of 97.9 all across the state plus iHeart has Bob Joyce & Rob Dibble doing podcasts, having UConn personalities come in and do interviews, posting those interviews online, actually traveling to media days and covering them, it's a much friendlier environment to the AD, in my opinion, compared to WTIC which pulled the plug on Joe D & Gresh, which was UConn's only outlet to get air time on the station outside pre/post-game and the games themselves.

Hopefully they can lock down any other affiliates to remove any of these areas that are lacking coverage but I like that everything is posted online so I don't have to drop everything to be able to listen to a 5 minute interview at 4:05 on a Tuesday or else I will miss it completely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, all I have to do is move closer to the Poconos and I never have to hear Dibble again? Deal!!!

It is odd that Rob Dibble is a positive in this deal? I guess I need the app that makes Rob Dibble not a complete joke?

Reaction Score
And I was listening to the Yankee game yesterday in the Cape on 660, that's great and all but the deal between WTIC & IMG sucked that there was no online content piece at all.

When Uconn was partnered with WTIC I was able to get the games online if needed. They were on I heart radio and radio.com. All you had to do was search “uconn huskies” instead of 1080... as part of the cbs radio network. But why would I want to hear it online if I could see it online via ESPN3 etc? I miss being able to throw 1080 on the radio and the game being on just about everywhere in New England.... for even the casual fan to hear. No casual fan is going to go downloading some app to hear the game. Bottom line exposure of the program has been reduced.

I would like to add that WTIC felt like an extension of the program. Most on there like Ray Dunaway and (when he was on Scott Grey) genuinely care for Uconn sports and would talk about them regularly.

Reaction Score
When Uconn was partnered with WTIC I was able to get the games online if needed. They were on I heart radio and radio.com. All you had to do was search “uconn huskies” instead of 1080... as part of the cbs radio network. But why would I want to hear it online if I could see it online via ESPN3 etc? I miss being able to throw 1080 on the radio and the game being on just about everywhere in New England.... for even the casual fan to hear. No casual fan is going to go downloading some app to hear the game. Bottom line exposure of the program has been reduced.

I would like to add that WTIC felt like an extension of the program. Most on there like Ray Dunaway and (when he was on Scott Grey) genuinely care for Uconn sports and would talk about them regularly.

Wasn't referring to the games. Of course, you could listen to the games through the website and TuneIn app but why do that with ESPN3 as you noted.

None of interviews from Joe D and Gresh were ever posted online and there was no podcast either. Now whenever there are interviews with current UConn coaches, players, alumni on 97.9 they are all posted online to listen whenever you have time and a dedicated podcast with interviews from the AD and current coaches, which was lost on WTIC when they cancelled Joe D and Gresh.

No insider info but I am optimistic they can figure something out with Joe D when his contract with WTIC is up and hopefully they can make sure there are no significant gaps in the coverage map through affiliates going forward, but overall from a media standpoint I like the current agreement with iHeart better.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well, I've gone from zero coverage to having AM 1490 in Greenwich followed by AM 600 in Bport, then AM 1300 in New Haven before switching to 97.9 around Meriden. Previously I had no dice until i made it to around West Haven on 95 or the tunnel on the Merritt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Try the TuneIn radio app. I use it every morning when commuting to work for WSB radio in Atlanta. I actually receive the signal just fine with the regular radio, but sometimes like to bounce between traffic and music on Spotify so I use the app for both.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Sure thing. You do know you can actually do both? And cars have these things called radios. And if you are in a car... the place you are most likely to LISTEN INSTEAD OF WATCH they are generally fitted with simple free technology that allows you to listen to radio stations.. for free... and they are quite easy to use.
I listen to games on tunein radio app over bluetooth in the car... it's a game changer.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They traded the most populous county in the state for the 3rd least populated one. Too bad, so sad.

If the shoe was on the other foot, you would be first to skewer them, too.

There wasn’t any reason they couldn’t add affiliates in Ffld Cty with WTIC as the flagship - since that was exactly what was in place in the past.

When they stop operating a complete clown show I’ll stop skewering them. Seems fair to me.

Reaction Score
I kind of chuckled when I saw this post. Clearly, the OP and DiMauro is living in the past. Don't they have smart phones and bluetooth in their cars? I guess if you have an old car, it wouldn't have bluetooth, but most cars on the road today have bluetooth. It really isn't that hard to download the app and play the game in your car. Or, listening to the game on your phone or computer. And, unlike in the past, listening to the game is free! As an alternate, most cars have access to satellite radio which I think broadcasts most games.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I kind of chuckled when I saw this post. Clearly, the OP and DiMauro is living in the past. Don't they have smart phones and bluetooth in their cars? I guess if you have an old car, it wouldn't have bluetooth, but most cars on the road today have bluetooth. It really isn't that hard to download the app and play the game in your car. Or, listening to the game on your phone or computer. And, unlike in the past, listening to the game is free! As an alternate, most cars have access to satellite radio which I think broadcasts most games.

Mike is stuck in 2003.

Reaction Score

I could never get 1080 all the way home so I always listened on the app. But I listen to radio on the app more than I listen to radio on the dial anyway so I guess it doesn't bother me. And the apps are free also.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I could never get 1080 all the way home so I always listened on the app. But I listen to radio on the app more than I listen to radio on the dial anyway so I guess it doesn't bother me. And the apps are free also.

I fully understand that a lot of people use the app especially the types of people that post on internet message boards.

How in the world is this a either/or? Maybe there are other schools that can’t solve for an actual OTA radio signal AND streaming/online content - but I have a feeling most can.

The app is free - data isn’t free for everyone.

Reaction Score
I fully understand that a lot of people use the app especially the types of people that post on internet message boards.

How in the world is this a either/or? Maybe there are other schools that can’t solve for an actual OTA radio signal AND streaming/online content - but I have a feeling most can.

It was either WTIC or WUCS (and a network of other stations). That was the choice.

And anyone that isn't on unlimited data at this point...isn't paying attention.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

OTA is the easiest way to expand the fanbase.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was either WTIC or WUCS (and a network of other stations). That was the choice.

And anyone that isn't on unlimited data at this point...isn't paying attention.

Well lots of people aren’t on unlimited data nor is everyone tech savvy enough to find the app and connect to the streams - so I guess we throw them out.

UConn is really good at creating new customers so it makes sense to make it difficult for current fans to listen to a game on the friggin radio.

And people accept and blame the customers - shocking the athletic department is so completely and totally broken.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom