BCGenius giggled as he filed this one | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BCGenius giggled as he filed this one

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mike is stuck in 2003.

Couple of things... first off, I won't pay for satellite radio. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would listen to apps. However, I bought a used 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe last year (and am keeping it until it dies years from now). After buying the thing, I learned that in an astounding display of hubris, for two years (07-08) Hyundai management decided drivers would gladly pay for XM (with whom they had a deal), which would meet every single person's needs for entertainment and information, and thus no longer needed an aux jack in their audio system.

I had no idea any car makers had stopped putting in aux jacks. I've looked into putting an aftermarket aux jack into the car. It's a mess. I miss my podcasts, music and radio apps.

Reaction Score
Try the TuneIn radio app. I use it every morning when commuting to work for WSB radio in Atlanta. I actually receive the signal just fine with the regular radio, but sometimes like to bounce between traffic and music on Spotify so I use the app for both.

Mark Arum Triple Team Traffic!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Couple of things... first off, I won't pay for satellite radio. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would listen to apps. However, I bought a used 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe last year (and am keeping it until it dies years from now). After buying the thing, I learned that in an astounding display of hubris, for two years (07-08) Hyundai management decided drivers would gladly pay for XM (with whom they had a deal), which would meet every single person's needs for entertainment and information, and thus no longer needed an aux jack in their audio system.

I had no idea any car makers had stopped putting in aux jacks. I've looked into putting an aftermarket aux jack into the car. It's a mess. I miss my podcasts, music and radio apps.

You clearly need a new car.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There wasn’t any reason they couldn’t add affiliates in Ffld Cty with WTIC as the flagship - since that was exactly what was in place in the past.

When they stop operating a complete clown show I’ll stop skewering them. Seems fair to me.

Not for football. WICC was basketball-only, way back when, and hasn't been on the network in years, until now. @J187Money 's note is prudent - you're buying into the radio conglomerate, not a hodgepodge of stations. 97.9 and 600AM (plus the add-on of 107.9HD2, whose theoretical reach is huge) reaches more people, at the expense of range to SE CT.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
So, all I have to do is move closer to the Poconos and I never have to hear Dibble again? Deal!!!
Great deals on rooms at Penn Hills. Embarrassingly enough, I stayed at this place with my wife years ago. Wasn't much nicer then.
022.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not for football. WICC was basketball-only, way back when, and hasn't been on the network in years, until now. @J187Money 's note is prudent - you're buying into the radio conglomerate, not a hodgepodge of stations. 97.9 and 600AM (plus the add-on of 107.9HD2, whose theoretical reach is huge) reaches more people, at the expense of range to SE CT.

Theoretical because hd radio already has come and gone.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Theoretical because hd radio already has come and gone.

Except in, ironically, cars. Especially the big/expensive ones that the bluehairs Mike D is apparently aiming towards. The ones without apps.

Continue to ignore the point about the FF county affiliate and network, though. It's all UConn's fault. WTIC seemed especially accommodating and gracious when the contract was dropped, as well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

There’s no way to hookup a phone through the cigarette lighter? That’s odd for 07

Reaction Score
After his whine, he could have at least wrote a short primer how to access the game for those that struggled and still read The Day in print (because those who read The Day online/on their phones have probably figured it out).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There’s no way to hookup a phone through the cigarette lighter? That’s odd for 07

Do you mean the actual cigarette lighter or the 9v charging jack - car has both (although lighter itself does not work).

Also phone and other USB devices don't seem to charge from front jack, but will charge from rear jack.

I looked on Amazon at a variety of things... most stuff that seems like it could work (e.g. plug and play FM transmitter) is no longer available.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except in, ironically, cars. Especially the big/expensive ones that the bluehairs Mike D is apparently aiming towards. The ones without apps.

Continue to ignore the point about the FF county affiliate and network, though. It's all UConn's fault. WTIC seemed especially accommodating and gracious when the contract was dropped, as well.

There is no reason they couldn’t have added affiliates in Ffld Cty with TIC as the flagship.

Like someone shared: They made a change for change sake. Give them the benefit of the doubt if you like. I’m personally going to wait until something they touch doesn’t turn into straight garbage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is no reason they couldn’t have added affiliates in Ffld Cty with TIC as the flagship.

How do you know that? Didn't someone around here, maybe AD David Benedict, that WTIC was unwilling to add affiliates? That WTIC was totally pig headed about this issue?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How do you know that? Didn't someone around here, maybe AD David Benedict, that WTIC was unwilling to add affiliates? That WTIC was totally pig headed about this issue?

Would be pretty bizarre but sure let’s go with that.

It’s a great move and the insight from Rob Dibble will be super valuable going forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

There's a lot ways to get blue tooth and hands free. These will do it

Hyundai Bluetooth® Wiring Harness

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-CK3100-LCD-Bluetooth-Car/dp/B000621SN0

But I think, I'd just swap out the radio. It's typically not hard and it's an upgrade.

One exception, is my daughter's 2006 Mercedes C class. The optical audio raises the difficulty a bit. Even there, there should be an connector for an aux cord, but it is conspicuously missing from her car. I'm trying to figure out how pull a 6 disc cd player in the glove box and replace with a blue tooth controller. Having quite figured that out yet. I figured I toss it out to the collective wisdom of the BY, just in case someone has done it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Would be pretty bizarre but sure let’s go with that.

It’s a great move and the insight from Rob Dibble will be super valuable going forward.
So is this your way of backing down from your claim that WTIC was willing to add affiliates - by changing the subject matter back to Dibble?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So is this your way of backing down from your claim that WTIC was willing to add affiliates - by changing the subject matter back to Dibble?

No I said fine let’s assume WTIC made the bizarre decision to not allow a FFld Cty affiliate.

Now let’s enjoy the bed we’ve made. They didn’t like the content on WTIC - let’s get the Rob Dibble flowing it should be a huge upgrade and won’t offend their sensibilities.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

OK, then tell me which affiliate they should have gotten from the sky, in that case. You know everything.

iheart radio affiliates are out, as they compete with entercom (WTIC AM/FM, WRCH, WZMX), scorched earth there.

Maybe connoisseur media? They're all music-only stations, though, so it's a tougher sell.

Otherwise, you're down to NPR and a handful of others. None of which have the reach of WICC.

So, oh exulted one, which station would you create from nothing to serve Fairfield County?

Reaction Score
For the record, I had a gig in Southbridge, MA, so I left after the 1st quarter and was able to catch the game on the FM station until I probably hit around Stafford which isn't too terrible, imo. But I can't speak to anybody else.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No I said fine let’s assume WTIC made the bizarre decision to not allow a FFld Cty affiliate.

Now let’s enjoy the bed we’ve made. They didn’t like the content on WTIC - let’s get the Rob Dibble flowing it should be a huge upgrade and won’t offend their sensibilities.

It maybe off to a rocky start, but I think there is really nothing you can really point to to suggest WTIC did anything other than to tell UConn:

-We have 50k watts.
-Our coverage map with the FCC says we serve FF County, so don't listen to what your SW fan base may say; bunch of babies with bad radios.
-We own Joe D for another year, so what can you do about that?
-ESPN is evil.
-Given ESPN is not a real choice, sign back with us for XXX below market.

Entercom never did publish their offer challenging ESPN to do the same to put to bed this notion that Malloy & Co wanted the university to part ways with their conservative talk format.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OK, then tell me which affiliate they should have gotten from the sky, in that case. You know everything.

iheart radio affiliates are out, as they compete with entercom (WTIC AM/FM, WRCH, WZMX), scorched earth there.

Maybe connoisseur media? They're all music-only stations, though, so it's a tougher sell.

Otherwise, you're down to NPR and a handful of others. None of which have the reach of WICC.

So, oh exulted one, which station would you create from nothing to serve Fairfield County?

Sorry I don’t keep a library of ffld county radio stations handy. Last I heard here it doesn’t matter anyway since there are apps.

Why so mad bro? I’m all in - no more meanies who say bad things about UConn sometimes.

They did manage to take the worst broadcast in college football and actually make it worse - you’d think that would be impossible but maybe someday they can solve the mystery of how to broadcast a football game like every other program in the country manages to do.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sorry, just trying to keep track...

1) We could have gotten an affiliate on the old network - wrong
2) WTIC's nonsense conservative programming argument - wrong. Even worse, if it doesn't matter, why do you bring up Dibble? It shouldn't matter if we're being led in by that dimwit, or another one (Rush, Clark Howard, Garden Talk, etc)
3) ...but there are apps. Good thing you opened up that little bit...

Our broadcast isn't a gold standard, by any means (and Crispino is going to take some serious getting used to), but not sure why you think I'm the "mad" one here?

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Most people have the ability to download an app to listen to the game if they can’t get it on their radio. This is UConn getting with the times. The podcasts, updates, and coverage is just what UConn needs right now. They need to tap into a younger fan base that due to poor play on the court/field they’ve struggled to develop interest in. Sorry that Joe Shmoe flip phone, no internet at home, cry baby can’t listen to the game. It’s 2018, wake up. Not everyone in UConn Nation is 75.

Why do you want to make it harder for people to access your product when it is unattractive as is? It’s not a matter of having the ability to access it - it’s a matter of weighing the effort required against the entertainment gained. With every additional step you create it becomes less likely they’re going to bother.

I’m not 75, but whenever I have to download something I typically say the hell with it and find something else to do. If I were 75, I’d probably be more likely to consume the product than if I were 18. Trying to attract younger fans is good, but there’s a measure of realism that has to be taken as well. The school is not in a position right now to be picky about who their customer base is. Be happy you have one at all.

Reaction Score
Great deals on rooms at Penn Hills. Embarrassingly enough, I stayed at this place with my wife years ago. Wasn't much nicer then.
View attachment 34135

Yikes.........I just wanted to avoid listening to Dibble. Signing up to star in the real-life version of Deliverance is tad too steep a price. But just barely.

But to be clear, do those great deals include my own heroin works or will I have to supply my own?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom