BC vs UConn - Tues 11/24/15 - 7pm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC vs UConn - Tues 11/24/15 - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce just said during the Big Y World Class commercial that world class is what we're seeing from one team tonight. Ha!!

Reaction Score
This team is many, many recruiting classes from even being a factor in Hockey East.

At this point, the 2016 class is definitely nothing special which will not be much of a help.

Reaction Score
Getting embarrassed. Obviously Nichols just isn't the same goalie this year. Some bad goals being let in. But also the defense on this team is awful. How many odd rushes are they going to give up and how many times do I need to see 2 or 3 players go to one attacker just to leave another wide open.

Reaction Score
Yikes! This team is getting worse as the season goes on instead of improving and getting better ??? Lutunov, Thompson and Richardson line were a combined -9 again Ouch. Luckily Yorkie called his dogs off after the 1st period or it would of been a longer nite. Dam was it cold walking from the rink to the parking lot tonight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do not get too excited about the attendance. It's all downhill from here on. A bad team with a terrible record playing teams casual fans could not care any less about. I would be really surprised if they broke the 5000 mark this season.

Reaction Score
After reading this article and quotes by Cavanaugh I find it disturbing. First your playing on your home ice in front of 7,200 fans and you instruct your team who hasn't won in the past 8 games not to forecheck the opposing team during the 1st period?? That's the only reason why UCONN beat BC last year on opening night 1-0 was because the players were forechecking and being aggressive which got the crowd immediately into the game. Then he says we are not a "super talented team" and cannot bring our B or C game if we want to win. Talk about $hitting on your team in a roundabout way to cover your own ass instead of coming out and saying - Hey I made a mistake I should of instructed our team to forecheck from the beginning of the game not wait until the score was 4-0 halfway through the 1st period. I didn't give our guys a fighting chance to win tonight. Period end of story.

Reaction Score
I have thought Nichols looked slow this year which I attribute to the surgery. I just don't think he is completely healthy yet. Or at least not back in game shape. According to my physical therapy friends that surgery can take 6 months to fully recover. I also think this team might have thought of itself as an offensive power early in the year and need to remember that it needs to play defense and hit to win. That's what they did so well last year but it seems to be missing this season

Reaction Score
The BC goalie had surgery after last season on his hip too. He looks fine. Nichols looked good in the second and third periods. BC had 2 legit goals in the first period. The three o one was beautiful to watch and the slap shot that hit the bar and went in was legit. Of the other two, oOne goal could have been goalie interference and the first BC goal was just an ugly scrum. I have seen nights when the refs blow the whistle in situations like that.

The first period was all about the lack of D and Uconn looking very slow and weak. They could not clear the front of the goal and they had bad turnovers. Uconn was the better team all around in the second period and most of the third periods and missed some great rebound/open net opportunities. Some credit goes to BC for riding players away from those chances. Nichols played much better in the second and third mainly because he could see the puck. Uconn starting moving people out and getting much better in their own zone.

Nichols is the best goalie option on the team.

Reaction Score
I agree that Nichols is the best option. But I haven't thought he looked himself all year really. I know the BC goalie had that surgery too but that's not really a legit comparison since different people heal differently and the extent of the repairs could be quite different even though they are "the same". To me he looks slow and a little stiff compared to last year both of which could be related to his recovery.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UGLY first period. Took the crowd completely out of the game before many of it even got to their seats. BC played a very crisp first period and cashed in on their chances. UConn had some chances in the 2nd and 3rd (better opps in the 3rd) but Demko is very good. This game reminded me so much of old Whaler games against Buffalo or Montreal - fall behind early and then when they started skating and generating offense in the upper third, the deficit was too great to narrow because of Patrick Roy or Dominik Hasek.

Reaction Score
Do not get too excited about the attendance. It's all downhill from here on. A bad team with a terrible record playing teams casual fans could not care any less about. I would be really surprised if they broke the 5000 mark this season.

Umm we were bad last season too, dude. Vermont, Providence, Umass-Lowell, New Hampshire are teams casual fans know and UMass-Lowell and New Hampshire were I believe the 2 highest drawing games after BU/BC last year. They also have a inner state game left with Sacred Heart which should net a little more than normal on that Tuesday. I think you're being purposely pessimistic because as we all know most on here want to abandon Hartford and have an axe to grind with the permanent move.

Reaction Score
I have thought Nichols looked slow this year which I attribute to the surgery. I just don't think he is completely healthy yet. Or at least not back in game shape. According to my physical therapy friends that surgery can take 6 months to fully recover. I also think this team might have thought of itself as an offensive power early in the year and need to remember that it needs to play defense and hit to win. That's what they did so well last year but it seems to be missing this season

Yea we were great at blocking shots, that has completely disappeared in 15-16 along with taking the body. Gotta get back to it.

Reaction Score
Umm we were bad last season too, dude. Vermont, Providence, Umass-Lowell, New Hampshire are teams casual fans know and UMass-Lowell and New Hampshire were I believe the 2 highest drawing games after BU/BC last year. They also have a inner state game left with Sacred Heart which should net a little more than normal on that Tuesday. I think you're being purposely pessimistic because as we all know most on here want to abandon Hartford and have an axe to grind with the permanent move.
Last year there was buzz surrounding the program after the win over BC and a great start to the season. This year, the buzz is that they're on an extended losing streak and just got pounded at home in their high-profile home game. Casual sports fans in Connecticut couldn't tell you one thing about Lowell, UNH, and UVM. Most probably can't tell you Lowell's mascot. Sacred Heart is a garbage game, one of the worst programs in the sport, it won't draw well. Has nothing to do with Hartford, and entirely to do with the team performing terribly outside of the BU win.

Reaction Score
Last year there was buzz surrounding the program after the win over BC and a great start to the season. This year, the buzz is that they're on an extended losing streak and just got pounded at home in their high-profile home game. Casual sports fans in Connecticut couldn't tell you one thing about Lowell, UNH, and UVM. Most probably can't tell you Lowell's mascot. Sacred Heart is a garbage game, one of the worst programs in the sport, it won't draw well. Has nothing to do with Hartford, and entirely to do with the team performing terribly outside of the BU win.

2-5-4 was a great start to the season? We had a shutout win that most attributed to a fluke then subsequently went on to get shutout by Sacred Heart ("one of the worst programs in the sport") and tied RPI. Very revisionist of you. As for the UNH and UMass-Lowell you say they aren't known to casuals yet they were the 2 biggest draws last season outside of BC/BU.

And as far as Sacred Heart goes if you read I said it would perform better than a normal Tuesday meaning perhaps 4,500 maybe a tick more in the building. You took my post out of context, which really comes as no surprise.

Reaction Score
2-5-4 was a great start to the season? We had a shutout win that most attributed to a fluke then subsequently went on to get shutout by Sacred Heart ("one of the worst programs in the sport") and tied RPI. Very revisionist of you. As for the UNH and UMass-Lowell you say they aren't known to casuals yet they were the 2 biggest draws last season outside of BC/BU.

And as far as Sacred Heart goes if you read I said it would perform better than a normal Tuesday meaning perhaps 4,500 maybe a tick more in the building. You took my post out of context, which really comes as no surprise.
Sacred Heart is undoubtedly one of the worst programs in the country, there's no ifs ands or buts about that.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart is undoubtedly one of the worst programs in the country, there's no ifs ands or buts about that.

I never said they weren't but that just lends credence to the fact that we got off to a slow start last year as well.

Everyone involved expected struggles in the first few years but the wins, at least at home will come.

Reaction Score
Last along I saw was along with the Xl renovation project the athletic dept is going to renovate Freitas too make it HE attendance compatible and a state of the art practice facility. The fact they are putting 4500 seat into Freitas means they will be playing some games on campus.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-uconn-hockey-east-arena-site-1025-20151024-story.html

Reaction Score
Last along I saw was along with the Xl renovation project the athletic dept is going to renovate Freitas too make it HE attendance compatible and a state of the art practice facility. The fact they are putting 4500 seat into Freitas means they will be playing some games on campus.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-uconn-hockey-east-arena-site-1025-20151024-story.html

By permanent I just mean playing the majority of games in Hartford vs. Mansfield. Freitas upgrade is necessary. XL Center reno is necessary too and they're voting on the first round of funding ($50M) Dec. 11th. When it passes the plan is to get the renovations underway around June.

Reaction Score
By permanent I just mean playing the majority of games in Hartford vs. Mansfield. Freitas upgrade is necessary. XL Center reno is necessary too and they're voting on the first round of funding ($50M) Dec. 11th. When it passes the plan is to get the renovations underway around June.
Ok...I see them playing the Sacred Heart, Merrimack, UVM games at Freitas the rest at XL. Makes sense a bit..they are in desperate need of a facility no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom