BC struggles to compete in ACC. Why did ACC want them? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC struggles to compete in ACC. Why did ACC want them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
See what I mean WESTHARTHUSK? ARROGANCE!

Arrogance is coming on a UConn board trying to defy all statistics and justify BC's pathetic athletic existence. Arrogance is lecturing UConn fans on their "attitude." And arrogance is thinking that anyone gives a about your opinion.

I would be more upset with you if it weren't so certain that BC's day is coming. The days of 'faux-pretension' that eminate from Chestnut Hill will be over shortly. You are tied to a dying (in the US) religious institution, offering an overpriced/way-over-hyped education, with abysmal athletics. So time and reality will soon crush you. Until then have fun growing from the perch which the southern schools built, and which the southern schools will soon rip away.

Reaction Score
I like the, "you know I really dont think The ACC ever really voted on it" line. Bravo CT Eagle, that means you can read. It was blatently in the Globe (as well as confirmed by Coach K) that Flipper made sure to tell the world that as he was on the Expansion Committee, and that BC blocked UConn before there was a vote.

Reaction Score
Considering BC left 8 years ago don't you think it makes more sense to obsess over why the ACC most recently took Cuse Pitt and a pathetically poor academic school like Louisville over UCONN.

I would be wondering "what makes my school so toxic that no conference wants them".
More so then, than now but UConn is considered a neophyte in big boy football. Since CR is about football , UConn cannot immediatley alter the perception of the level of ACC football. We didn't really have a BCS program in the first go round and recently the ACC needed to have programs with with any/some national panache(for the lack of a better word) even if it was due to historic rather than current success. Hence Pitt and Syracuse. The last go round, the ACC needed a better, current football program than the last two in order to satisfy its better programs, discourage them from leaving and from keeping the entire conference' perception as being too weak in football. UConn was late getting to the dance and we are paying the price for it now. That may change in the not distant future.

Reaction Score
Now Duncan gets it. Sensible read on the situation No arrogance or sense of entitlement.

Reaction Score
This may seem way too simplistic but UCONN's problem starts and ends with their arrogance and entitlement mentality.
I know your first reaction will be to become very defensive, even pissed off, but that is part of what I am referring to.
Think about it for a while, apply it to circumstances where you feel UConn is getting the short end of the stick. It just may start making some sense.

This thread started with:

"I really can't understand why the ACC wanted Boston College. They are a small, private, Catholic school with limited fan support. They are a geographical outlier in the ACC. Now, it's apparent that BC is struggling to compete in any sport in the ACC."

Were not asking why not Uconn, but why BCU. What did the ACC see in BCU and did they get it? I think they got what they wanted but did not accomplish their football goals. The ACC wanted a buttboy who would get them to 12, kill off the BE so no eastern football threat, not be a threat sports wise and since is harder to into than Harvard would also help academics. Didn't kill off BE (next expansion turned ACC into BE) nor has ACC been able to get close to top 4 conferences in football but did get a weak sister for conference buttboy status.
Once Rutgers and Maryland to B10 the eastern football being ACC was lost.

Reaction Score
Westharthusk, you need to show some love and kindness to those of us who are less athletically and academically well off than you.

Treating people less fortunate than you so harshly will not place you in a positive light. People may even think you are being...arrogant!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Now Duncan gets it. Sensible read on the situation No arrogance or sense of entitlement.

How's this for arrogance: When we end up in the ACC with you, we are going to spend the rest of eternity reminding you how you tried and failed to F us outside of the lines.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Westarthusk, you need to show some love and kindness to those of us who are less athletically and academically well off than you.

Treating people less fortunate than you so harshly will not place you in a positive light. People may even think you are being...arrogant!
So you admit that you're inferior?

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. Just repeating what W.H.H. is stating. I particularly chuckled at his shot at BC's academic standing (what a fool) not to mention his pathetic attack on Catholicism. Any fellow Catholics on this board a little offended by that?

Reaction Score
Westharthusk, you need to show some love and kindness to those of us who are less athletically and academically well off than you.

This is a UConn board. If you go to an NRA meeting and get sick of their pep talks, remember that you would be the arrogant one for complaining. They should have the freedom to say what they want among their own.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. Just repeating what W.A.H. is stating. I particularly chuckled at his shot at BC's academic standing (what a fool) not to mention his pathetic attack on Catholicism. Any fellow Catholics on this board a little offended by that?

You are attempting to stir up trouble, you call everyone in this post / on another post arrogant yet you are on OUR forums posting that UConn isn't deserving of an ACC invite and insinuating that BC is superior some how to us.

Honestly please just leave you are nothing but an annoyance and lets all tell it like it is, A) if the ACC could have a re-do BC would never have been invited and UConn would now be in the ACC instead. Your Football and Basketball haven't been relevant my whole life (born in 89) and should probably just be dropped. B) BC was only invited in the first place because the ACC believed they could deliver the Boston market which was a obvious mistake. Browse any ACC teams forums and see how they feel about BC (I've even read fans from ACC teams wish they could kick BC OUT of the ACC), better yet browse any teams forum from a power conference and see how your beloved eagles are viewed (if they are even mentioned at all).

Ironic that you think UConn is so disliked and fail to realize that BC is not a favorite of anyone either.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to insult anybody's faith, what I am saying is a fact. Catholics in the US are staring at enrollment drops over like 40% at the elementary,and secondary levels, and the "interest" in being Catholic in the US is down 34% in the last 8 years - according to Georgetown. And BC is absolutely tied to that trend institutionally.

Now, when you couple the demographic trends with the cost of your school it seems to me that when the education bubble pops BC will be one of the first hit.

Reaction Score
Notice I said a little offended

Where is BC expanding its campus in Boston? Oh yeah, they purchased the 43 acre campus across the street that used to serve as the Archbishop’s residence for just under $100 million. Why? Because the Roman Catholic Church became more interested in protecting itself than helping the people the Church serves and has had to pay out $85 million to settle claims to date.
I’m Catholic and just a little offended.

Reaction Score
I really can't understand why the ACC wanted Boston College.

Seriously? Who should they have wanted instead?

At the time of the raid, they were a program with regular bowl appearances, and more significantly a national name because of some big upsets (eg, winning at #1 ND in the late 90s), and Flutie.

And they're in a huge media market, particularly compared to mostly medium-sized cities in ACC country.
And it's wealthy market, so attractive to advertisers.

Their performance in the past year (or even past decade), crappy as it is, is irrelevant, since the decision was made 10 years ago.

The ACC's other options were West Virginia, Pitt, and Rutgers. At the time, which was more attractive than BC?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Seriously? Who should they have wanted instead?

At the time of the raid, they were a program with regular bowl appearances, and more significantly a national name because of some big upsets (eg, winning at #1 ND in the late 90s), and Flutie.

And they're in a huge media market, particularly compared to mostly medium-sized cities in ACC country.
And it's wealthy market, so attractive to advertisers.

Their performance in the past year (or even past decade), crappy as it is, is irrelevant, since the decision was made 10 years ago.

The ACC's other options were West Virginia, Pitt, and Rutgers. At the time, which was more attractive than BC?

For the record, the win over ND happened in 1993. I remember watching it at my buddy's house after my own high school football game. They were ranked #2 in the country under Coach Jags (with Matty Ice), then Jags called DeFillipo's stupid bluff and was released.

Also to be fair, the demise of the basketball team didn't happen until Sean Williams was dismissed and Dudley graduated. It was complete when Al Skinner failed to recruit a single 1st year player before his final year.

Re: markets: Boston is the 6th largest media market in the country, but one problem...No one watched local college sports up there, nor was (is) college sports talked about on the radio or tv (Fox Sports New England at the time, now Comcast SportsNet). Boston, especially in 2003, was all about the Red Sox and Patriots. It's not a city wide thing, the affliction is state-wide.

Reaction Score
This may seem way too simplistic but UCONN's problem starts and ends with their arrogance and entitlement mentality.
I know your first reaction will be to become very defensive, even pissed off, but that is part of what I am referring to.
Think about it for a while, apply it to circumstances where you feel UConn is getting the short end of the stick. It just may start making some sense.

The most simple truth to this whole BC/UConn thing is the mere fact that BC is terrified of UConn. If any BC fan wants to tell me otherwise I'd love to hear an explanation as to how I'm wrong.

pj

Reaction Score

West Virginia, Pitt, and Rutgers.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC has shown zero foresight throughout this process. "CR is about football" was true 2-3 years ago, but no longer; now it is about markets and audience and year-round inventory.

CR is about generating new money and now that the football playoff money is negotiated, the money is in networks. Soon basketball will be the hot revenue source since the top conferences will break away from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
West Virginia, Pitt, and Rutgers.
Here's the problem: the ACC has moved different because they have different problems than the B1G. The ACC was perceived in 2003, rightly, as the worst of the power 6. Miami and VT had both earned title game appearances, Syracuse and BC had been successful.

So, in their initial move, they tried to beef up their football. Miami, BC, and Syracuse were their initial move (I think Syracuse was a move to placate Tobacco Road, as they had gone through some droughts...but they were solid). Rutgers had never won anything in basketball or football; West Virginia had won the league once and had never been to the BCS; Pitt had not won it at all, and was yet to be a force in basketball. Virginia Tech is who they took, and they've been a success on the football side.

But to suggest that they should have taken those schools is to write in different motives. When you are in the south, and playing football, demographics work for you. They needed good football schools, and picked Miami, who made sense, and Virginia Tech, who also made sense. Boston College made less sense, but they had been to 4 straight bowl games by 2002, and had a long and strong history. Certainly they had no idea how much BC would fall apart. But adding the three schools you name would have left the Big East a very good football conference, which is what they were trying to prevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom