BC Smugness | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC Smugness

Reaction Score
How much does UMass get for their BC game? Any ideas there bb?

From Sporting News:

While Boston College will play UConn at the ballpark on Nov. 18, 2017, it will be a home game for the Huskies, not the Eagles.

David Benedict, UConn’s new athletic director, liked the offer put forth by the Red Sox: a $1.125 million guarantee, the largest in school history, plus 22,000 tickets.

As the visiting team, Boston College gets no guarantee and an allotment of just 7,000 tickets.

Reaction Score
I hope we bring more fans than BC will to Fenway.

Anyone know how ticket sales look? It didn't seem all that promising the last time someone posted numbers.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll have a read on ticket sales until we see how the first few games go.

Reaction Score
UMass plays @ BC this year....and BC played @ UMass last year....like almost all home and homes, there is no payment from one team to the other.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll have a read on ticket sales until we see how the first few games go.
Benedict said a couple weeks ago that ticket sales so far for the Fenway game were above expectations.

Reaction Score
I hope we bring more fans than BC will to Fenway.

Anyone know how ticket sales look? It didn't seem all that promising the last time someone posted numbers.
Who posted not promising numbers? Enlighten us please.

Reaction Score
From Sporting News:

While Boston College will play UConn at the ballpark on Nov. 18, 2017, it will be a home game for the Huskies, not the Eagles.

David Benedict, UConn’s new athletic director, liked the offer put forth by the Red Sox: a $1.125 million guarantee, the largest in school history, plus 22,000 tickets.

As the visiting team, Boston College gets no guarantee and an allotment of just 7,000 tickets.

How different is this deal from the nd/bc game last season at Fenway?

Would seem both games are using programs not named bc to drive attendance.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Just remember: BC's fandom is limited to a few zip codes. They feel inadequate. So what do they do? They look around for a dog to kick. We're that dog. And as long as we're ranked between #90 and #110 in football, they'll keep kicking us.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Meh. Oregon State, BYU, Utah, and Colorado are all examples of P5 teams that have taken one off "buy" games on the road at other P5's in the last 3 years. If you wanna overreact and say its the end of our program go for it but the reality is its a great way to make some $ and the fans get to watch us play Clemson instead of a home game with CMU. No brainer really.

Also Boston College scheduled a home and home series with NMSU a few years back and only wound up playing @ NMSU. Should we ridicule them for that? College football scheduling is weird, if you can get a game with Clemson or a team on that level you take it and run.

Reaction Score
How different is this deal from the nd/bc game last season at Fenway?

Would seem both games are using programs not named bc to drive attendance.

Not a lot different in theory...

But somewhat different.....as part of their "Shamrock series" the Irish have rotated a home game around for the benefit of their far flung fans....from San Antonio to Washington DC , Arlington, Texas, Chicago, Fenway Park, etc. While they do not "sell" a home game, they do benefit from the games as "home" games.

And the games are Notre Dame driven, not site driven (like Fenway is for the BC-UConn game).

Swarbrick says the success level from the previous Shamrock Series games builds each year and generates enough excitement that finding an ideal venue and an interested opponent is rarely a problem.

“We get more inquiries than we could possibly handle,” he says.

"It's easy to start with places you'd like to be, but that's just the first part of the equation," Swarbrick says. "I want to go to iconic venues. You want an iconic venue, not just an iconic city.

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Definitely took that line from South Park

latest
You think?

God I love this thread.

Reaction Score
This is the best rivalry game on the schedule for both schools.

BC sucks as the basement dweller of the ACC. In the Big East they would be DePaul.

UConn sucks a bit less, except for the head to head drubbing.

Bad conference fit without regional rivals is to the detriment of both schools. BC and UConn would be better together in a regional conference. It's sadly not possible at this point, and both programs are less because of it.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This is the best rivalry game on the schedule for both schools ...

Bad conference fit without regional rivals is to the detriment of both schools. BC and UConn would be better together in a regional conference. It's sadly not possible at this point, and both programs are less because of it.

Did you say regional conference? Please forgive me ...

BC
UMass
UConn
Army
Syracuse
Rutgers
Temple
Penn State
Pitt
WVU
Maryland
Navy

If the Northeastern schools had confidence in their own value, we'd have a conference like this. Instead, these schools look to be rescued by schools to the south and west.

Reaction Score
Did you say regional conference? Please forgive me ...

BC
UMass
UConn
Army
Syracuse
Rutgers
Temple
Penn State
Pitt
WVU
Maryland
Navy

If the Northeastern schools had confidence in their own value, we'd have a conference like this. Instead, these schools look to be rescued by schools to the south and west.

I don't think it was ever really a lack of confidence in their collective value that doomed a true Eastern Conference from ever happening, but instead it was a lack of trust, shared vision, and program symmetry that stopped it before it could get started.

Outside of shared geography many of these schools lack a similar academic/athletic profile. This is why The B1G and SEC have been historically so strong, and why The ACC and Big 12 are often viewed as dysfunctional regardless of their success. That said I'm a homer for the idea of an Eastern Conference and will always wonder what if?

Reaction Score
There were opportunities...

1...if Joe Paterno's idea of an all eastern football conference had taken hold...(he couldn't get traction from Rutgers, Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, Maryland, et al).

2...if there wasn't such an emphasis on basketball.....(Penn State was later turned down by the BE because of the state of their basketball program)...regardless that Miami was later taken.

if, if...Paterno had successfully pulled off a true regional eastern league, we might see a different configuration of conferences today.

Reaction Score
Benedict said a couple weeks ago that ticket sales so far for the Fenway game were above expectations.
There will be no question this is a Huskies home game. UConn fans will flock to Fenway for this event and will drown out whatever meager pull bc has. A UConn home game, at Fenway, in bc's backyard. Owning New England can't get any better than that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom