BC Blocked UConn from ACC | The Boneyard

BC Blocked UConn from ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marc Bishop

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2011/10/09/power-move-acc/eoEsrFHtvEBZD6Y59nFxGM/story.xml

The ACC’s action reestablished the conference’s power base in the Tobacco Road area of North Carolina, where Duke and North Carolina have reigned for years as its most influential forces. In this instance, it was the voices of Duke Hall of Fame basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and athletic director Kevin White that rang the loudest.

It also demonstrated the growing influence of Boston College, if not as an athletic power, then as a strong character in a passion play of intrigue, negotiations, and power moves - one of which was to successfully block Connecticut’s potential membership in the ACC.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established - though dormant - rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.

Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
haha when it happens we need to send this around to get the juices flowing...

Reaction Score
I followed BC growing up being from the Boston area. It has THE WORST fan base of any major school I have EVER seen. It was embarrassing going to games because of the empty stands and HORRENDOUS student section. Unless the BB team was playing Duke, there would be less than 200 students. No one I knew was passionate about BC and almost no one watched the games. For them to block UConn is an absolute joke. The ACC should kick out BC and add UConn

Reaction Score
Ironic. If UConn joined the ACC, there would be at least ONE team that BC might be able to beat in football. Without UConn, BC is basically suck with a lifetime 0-fer in ACC games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
lol.....

It doesn't really matter, BC. You're not getting any better.

Reaction Score
BC's entrance to the ACC has been a major disapointment to ACC members. I doubt their vote means much within the ACC.

Reaction Score
If it didn't mean much, then UConn would've been invited to the ACC with Syracuse. They obviously have some clout.

Reaction Score
If it didn't mean much, then UConn would've been invited to the ACC with Syracuse. They obviously have some clout.
As we know, one school can't block on their own, so I suspect football-minded schools such as FSU and Miami also said No.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Things have a way of working out. In the end (many years from now) we'll see if this comes back to bite BC.

BC is a small player in that conference. I'm sure one university is unable to block UConn's entrance. Other schools have been part of this for multiple reasons. Outside of BC this decision wasn't personal. Heck BC made the choice because it is afraid of UConn's upside and in their minds they believe this was strategic attempt to keep UConn down. It could work if UConn is kept out of a BCS conference down the road.

DeFillippo would have been better off not making a statement. It tells me he is a person who needs to enjoy the limelight. And this is his one shining moment to demonstrate his power. Kind of sad given that he could easily be marginalized by the ACC.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Things have a way of working out. In the end (many years from now) we'll see if this comes back to bite BC.

That is exactly right. Many years ago, Pitt had a part in making sure that Penn St didn't get an invitation to the Big East. Despite Penn St being the best choice, they decided to play politics in order to keep a stronger program out of their shadow in their conference. We all know how that ended up working out for the Big East in the long run.

This BC-UConn situation is very similar to the Pitt-Penn St sitation. Penn St was a strong enough program to eventually get an invite from the B1G. If we can keep UConn's path on the positive trajectory, then we will eventually get that invite as well. Just like the Pitt-PSU was a bad move in the long run for the Big East, so will this move for the ACC. When you have a chance to add a significant program that fits geographically (PSU in the early 80s, or UConn now), you take advantage of that opportunity. It will only hurt you in the long run!

Reaction Score
New kids on the block thinking they have power, go figure, arrogant s.

Reaction Score
That is exactly right. Many years ago, Pitt had a part in making sure that Penn St didn't get an invitation to the Big East. Despite Penn St being the best choice, they decided to play politics in order to keep a stronger program out of their shadow in their conference. We all know how that ended up working out for the Big East in the long run.

This BC-UConn situation is very similar to the Pitt-Penn St sitation. Penn St was a strong enough program to eventually get an invite from the B1G. If we can keep UConn's path on the positive trajectory, then we will eventually get that invite as well. Just like the Pitt-PSU was a bad move in the long run for the Big East, so will this move for the ACC. When you have a chance to add a significant program that fits geographically (PSU in the early 80s, or UConn now), you take advantage of that opportunity. It will only hurt you in the long run!

I don't think it's that similar except for the geography aspect. Penn State football was in a much better place than UConn football is. Adding Penn State would've given the Big East a very good football program while no one can really argue that UConn football is set up to succeed in the short term or long term with Paul Pasqualoni in charge. Perhaps things will change after a few recruiting classes, but Penn State was consistently ranked in the AP Top 25 in the years prior to any potential inclusion in the Big East while UConn, suffice to say, isn't.

Now, that's not to say that UConn football can't one day get to that level, but it's apples and oranges in that regard.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This sounds like a BC source decided to tell his "story" to Blaudschun.

Anybody can tell a story to a reporter. Nobody's on the record except for DeFilipo, who is a miserable piece of garbage.

Reaction Score
This sounds like a BC source decided to tell his "story" to Blaudschun.

Anybody can tell a story to a reporter. Nobody's on the record except for DeFilipo, who is a miserable piece of garbage.

DeFillippo is the one with the quotes. He's the one telling Blaudschun that he blocked UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
DeFillippo is the one with the quotes. He's the one telling Blaudschun that he blocked UConn.

You're reading too quickly or something. Yes, I know Flipper is the one with the quotes. That's why I said nobody was on the record (i.e., being quoted), EXCEPT FLIPPER.

You're usually a lot sharper than this, Upstater!

Reaction Score
You're reading too quickly or something. Yes, I know Flipper is the one with the quotes. That's why I said nobody was on the record (i.e., being quoted), EXCEPT FLIPPER.

You're usually a lot sharper than this, Upstater!

If you get a quote from one of the 12 men/women in the expansion room, that's called a scoop. It's better than almost anything that's been printed across America on expansion so far.

Reaction Score
This just solidifies my distaste for anything BC. They just can't lose enough for me.

Good article on the SU board from the Denver paper saying that Air Force looks like a done deal for the BE hopefully along with Army, Navy for football only. I'd take Memphis as a all sports partner as they bring a nationally recognized basketball program.

Reaction Score
There is a school called BC? Never heard of them.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The most interesting part was when he made a statement about ESPN playing a roll in this. That would in my opinion be the biggest kick in the head since the Big East was in the process of negotiating a contract. Now of course this makes the Big East much less attractive to networks, no matter who they replace Pitt, Syracuse and TCU with.

ESPN screwed the Big East plain and simple

Reaction Score
We should put a sign out side of Gampel, XL and Rent saying "UConn Athletics - The Pride of New England"

Reaction Score
We should put a sign out side of Gampel, XL and Rent saying "UConn Athletics - The Pride of New England"

that. Put the sign at the border of MA and RI on I95, I84 and I91. And put speed traps prior to the border with instructions to nail everyone with MA plates that are driving even 5 MPH over the limit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If you get a quote from one of the 12 men/women in the expansion room, that's called a scoop. It's better than almost anything that's been printed across America on expansion so far.

Not disagreeing, but it's totally non-responsive to my post and its point. There's a huge difference between one person making a self-serving statement and another, unrelated person providing corroboration.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing, but it's totally non-responsive to my post and its point. There's a huge difference between one person making a self-serving statement and another, unrelated person providing corroboration.

Got ya. I just think in this case, it absolutely means something when even one person does it.

What lends credence to it in my opinion is the earlier quotes coming out of Duke. Is it an accident that Coach K. twice went on the record saying the ACC should admit UConn? And here we have BC referencing not only K. but Duke's President?

There's a lot more than meets the eye here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom