Baylor's Schedule | The Boneyard

Baylor's Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If anyone knows, how does Baylor get to play 20 games at home and only 10 games away?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Basically, I would guess most of their OOC games were at home. In UConn's case, it seems like every game this year has been on the road. (I know that's not the case but it just seems that way.)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ctpaul0825, you are asking about one of the less fan-friendly aspects of WCBB economics. In a normal year, far more than half of UConn's games would be at home. Elite teams such as UConn or Baylor, which can attract relatively large attendance even for so-what games, find it lucrative to schedule home-only games with lesser opponents. They give the opponent a cut of the gate receipts, and opponents with poor home attendance find that attractive because that cut is greater than what they would earn from a home game. With more distinguished opponents, home-and-home series are scheduled, because both teams can attract reasonable attendance and there is a prospect of TV revenues from ESPN.

But for UConn or Baylor to play an undistinguished opponent on the road is a no-win financial proposition, so it is rarely done outside of conference play, where it is required.

Unfortunately this leads to the OOC games in November and December at Gampel or the XL center that are 40-point blowouts. Doing that is more lucrative to the Athletic Department than playing a better opponent under a "home and home" contract, where the net cash from the road game is less than what can be earned from a home game against a cupcake team.

I guess if fans showed by their behavior that they will refuse to attend OOC home games against unworthy opponents, then the calculus would change, but the core set of UConn fans (including yours truly) have not so far demonstrated that they are willing to do that.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Ctpaul0825, you are asking about one of the less fan-friendly aspects of WCBB economics. In a normal year, far more than half of UConn's games would be at home. Elite teams such as UConn or Baylor, which can attract relatively large attendance even for so-what games, find it lucrative to schedule home-only games with lesser opponents. They give the opponent a cut of the gate receipts, and opponents with poor home attendance find that attractive because that cut is greater than what they would earn from a home game. With more distinguished opponents, home-and-home series are scheduled, because both teams can attract reasonable attendance and there is a prospect of TV revenues from ESPN.

But for UConn or Baylor to play an undistinguished opponent on the road is a no-win financial proposition, so it is rarely done outside of conference play, where it is required.

Unfortunately this leads to the OOC games in November and December at Gampel or the XL center that are 40-point blowouts. Doing that is more lucrative to the Athletic Department than playing a better opponent under a "home and home" contract, where the net cash from the road game is less than what can be earned from a home game against a cupcake team.

I guess if fans showed by their behavior that they will refuse to attend OOC home games against unworthy opponents, then the calculus would change, but the core set of UConn fans (including yours truly) have not so far demonstrated that they are willing to do that.
The only caveat to this is that teams (UConn included) will often schedule games as part of a long road trip to play a 'big' game. This is why we have played teams like College of Charleston and Pacific.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is common for big conference teams and especially traditional powers to have the big majority of the OOC games at home for the financial reasons noted above. Baylor brazenly scheduled all of their OOC games at home this year as Kim obviously felt that in the post-Griner era that the best way to get prepared for success was to have nothing but home-cooking. They do claim that one of the OOC games was on a neutral court since the KY game was played up the road in Dallas, but that's a sham.

Last year though, Baylor had a much more balanced schedule with 4 OOC games on the road, so it's not like they always do this.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It is common for big conference teams and especially traditional powers to have the big majority of the OOC games at home for the financial reasons noted above. Baylor brazenly scheduled all of their OOC games at home this year as Kim obviously felt that in the post-Griner era that the best way to get prepared for success was to have nothing but home-cooking. They do claim that one of the OOC games was on a neutral court since the KY game was played up the road in Dallas, but that's a sham.

Last year though, Baylor had a much more balanced schedule with 4 OOC games on the road, so it's not like they always do this.
You mean UConn's game at Webster Bank Arena wasn't a 'neutral site'?????????

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Joe - I think Uconn generally bucks this trend in terms of home vs away OOC games - this year it was 7-6, some years it may be a little more skewed, but nothing like many other teams that do exactly as you say. And it isn't just WCBB - happens in MCBB, and Football as well. And kudos to the good mid-majors who have begun to balk and refuse to top teams unless they agree to the home and home format, though it has further eroded the competitiveness of a lot of OOC schedules.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just a case in point - a few years back, I think it was Stony Brook or some other small conference team on Long Island that wanted a home and home and Rutgers refused. Because, there is absolutely no gain in going to their "gym" as CVS called it. No financial reward, no "game experience" reward, nothing but travel expenses. At the time, the concepts were less well known than they are now, so it was quite interesting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just a case in point - a few years back, I think it was Stony Brook or some other small conference team on Long Island that wanted a home and home and Rutgers refused. Because, there is absolutely no gain in going to their "gym" as CVS called it. No financial reward, no "game experience" reward, nothing but travel expenses. At the time, the concepts were less well known than they are now, so it was quite interesting.
Travel expense from New Jersey to Long Island? LOL.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Rac is a glorified gym, especially now with no one attending games.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Different subject, What's the expected attendance for Saturday's game. Is the ticket office still refusing to sell tickets to those living in CT? Ticket prices for Saturday's game is?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You mean UConn's game at Webster Bank Arena wasn't a 'neutral site'?????????
The question of what makes a neutral site game is sometimes puzzling. Bridgeport has been considered both as a home and neutral site for UConn in different games, but the recent one with Temple was rightly listed as a home game. The Huskies' two neutral court games this year were at least in different states, though UConn was way closer to MSG or Springfield than Cal and OSU. There probably should be "home vicinity" and "away vicinity" categories for those types of games. Dallas is further from Waco than Springfield is from Storrs, but it is right up the highway in the same state.

Other factors than being in the same state can impact on that question of neutrality, however, as UTenn fans claim that this year's Nashville FF is being played in hostile territory even though it's in Tennessee. Maybe.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Other factors than being in the same state can impact on that question of neutrality, however, as UTenn fans claim that this year's Nashville FF is being played in hostile territory even though it's in Tennessee. Maybe.

I was once in the Nashville airport on the way to a FF, and struck up a conversation with some Vandy fans. I innocently asked if they supported Tennessee (when Vandy was not in it of course). If looks could kill!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I was once in the Nashville airport on the way to a FF, and struck up a conversation with some Vandy fans. I innocently asked if they supported Tennessee (when Vandy was not in it of course). If looks could kill!
Phil. I've met you and I don't think you look that bad. Somewhat scary perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom