Baylor vs UCLA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor vs UCLA

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A few thoughts after getting back from the game and perusing the stats:
  • Canada was a nothing short of dynamic, with 20 points and 13 (yes, thirteen) assists. Billings and Burke came up huge with 21 and 19 points, respectively. Billings had a lot of success with the 12- to 15-foot jumper in the high post. On the defensive side, Burke, Billings, and Drummer combined for 8 blocks.

• Baylor won the rebounding battle by a large margin (45 to 30, and 21 to 11 on O-boards) but UCLA won the turnover battle (17-10), and a couple of those were live turnovers that UCLA converted to points in the critical stretch of the 4th quarter.

• Billings was working her hiney off trying to guard Brown and did what she could to prevent her from catching the ball down low. But it looked like a molehill trying to guard a mountain. I can't overemphasize how imposing a presence Kalani Brown is in the paint, and she is only beginning to grow into her game. She has a massive upside and potential for professional and international competition.

• Dekeiya Cohen of Baylor is, I believe, quietly emerging as a major piece for Baylor. Her shot wasn't great today but she had 14 rebounds and 4 assists.

• The battle between Jordin Canada and Kristy Wallace was great to watch. Wallace is a Kia Nurse-type player who plays gritty defense and does many great things that don't show up in the box score. But she finished with 0 points, 1 assist, and 4 turnovers, and she was yanked early in the 4th quarter never to return.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One more thing:

I was really puzzled by the timeout Baylor called with about 7:00 left in 4Q. They had just closed the lead from 11 to 4 points and had all the momentum. UCLA was looking out of sorts and Baylor had just gotten a stop and a defensive rebound. It ended up just killing all their momentum and they were then outscored 20-10 the rest of the way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did they announce attendance? Looks like about 3K if that many.
ESPN site is showing official attendance figure at 3,912.

As a reference, last year UCLA averaged 2,263 in its home games.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's kind of now or never for UCLA, Canada and Billings are Seniors. Oregon looks good for the next 3 years at least. I keep saying though, don't forget about Oregon St. They might not win the conference this year but should still be tough and then get a big boost when Slocum is eligible next year.

Agreed. This is their best shot with Billings/Canada....take those two out of the equation and they're likely a midrange PAC team.

HGN

Reaction Score
Oh, it's LA, and they always have far better things to do, unless Jack Nicholson is sitting in the front row and folks come to oogle at the glitterati.

UCLA will be a real challenge. It will be interesting how Geno tries to defend against Canada: whether primarily Crystal or Kia; heck, I'm thinking even Megan may get some minutes against her. But wondering whether Geno doesn't go to a zone because of Z, or some type of man-to-man zone. I have to believe that there's a Husky scout out there in the stands today.
Bags , I'm thinking that Geno is going to leave guarding Canada up to Kia primarily. With some Crystal thrown in as a change up.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Calling it now!!!

Baylor and UCLA will be in same bracket for NCAA!!

Committee likes to do ridiculous things like that. Ya know, play someone again after you already have in your season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Baylor's guards never seemed to realize that Billings is a great shot blocker.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was at the game today. Kudos to UCLA. Not overly well attended, but the fans got a treat. Honestly, I'm not sure Cox would have made much of a difference. Baylor's guard play leaves much to be desired. Brown was a beast, but the rest of the team was slow compared to UCLA's athleticism.

Canada is just terrific. Billings is like a pogo stick, and Burke has improved a lot. UCLA just had more weapons. We will see how they do against UCONN. I like our chances. But it will be a terrific test.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This is from the ESPN recap:

"UCLA beat a top-three team for the first time since 2008, ending an 0-22 skid against such teams. That win came over then-No. 2 Stanford, 69-56, at Pauley Pavilion."

I can echo Eric's comment. It was a really exciting game to watch. The attendance wasn't huge, but the crowd reactions were intense in that 4th quarter when UCLA got some run-out buckets after blocks or steals on the defensive end.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well that was pretty prophetic. Only missed it by 2 points. Good win for UCLA.

I'm pretty sure Brown had 8 points in the first 5 minutes of the game. At that rate she was on pace to score over 60.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One more thing:

I was really puzzled by the timeout Baylor called with about 7:00 left in 4Q. They had just closed the lead from 11 to 4 points and had all the momentum. UCLA was looking out of sorts and Baylor had just gotten a stop and a defensive rebound. It ended up just killing all their momentum and they were then outscored 20-10 the rest of the way.

Yes. Listened to the second half on the radio. Idiotic.

The radio broadcast was amazing. The mikes seemed to be right on the court. You could hear everything Close was screaming from the bench. l also heard that Natalie Chou had a bad first half. Sat most of second half except for one brief period. Got into the game, had a turnover and was yanked. Ouch.

Reaction Score
Gonna be a though trip for Baylor. Mulkey not traveling as she lost her grandson and Cox hospitalized after a diabetic episode. Baylor down to 9 players.
As a Texas resident, get Baylor ladies games. Predict by end of year, they will be top 3 team with Texas. Cox is beginning to move well on both ends of court and guards becoming solid. Will be good challenge. Predict Texas will be exceptional and scary one game and less so the next. Huskies should beat both but games close.

Reaction Score
Calling it now!!!

Committee likes to do ridiculous things like that. Ya know, play someone again after you already have in your season.

I feel the same about Ohio state and Louisville as well as SC and Maryland.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Yes. Listened to the second half on the radio. Idiotic.

The radio broadcast was amazing. The mikes seemed to be right on the court. You could hear everything Close was screaming from the bench. l also heard that Natalie Chou had a bad first half. Sat most of second half except for one brief period. Got into the game, had a turnover and was yanked. Ouch.
Chou looked really slow in that game. I believe she will have problems against quick guards.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Calling it now!!!

That's just silly. One of the reasons top teams play each other in non-conference is so that if they meet up again in the tourney, they have some familiarity against each other.

Are you saying that the committee shouldn't put any of UConn's non-conference opponents like Stanford, Maryland, Cal, Texas Notre Dame, South Carolina, Louisville, DePaul, and Oklahoma in the same region with UConn? Come tourney time, go ahead and try to create a bracket that guarantees UConn has 0% chance of playing a team (prior to the Final Four) who they played in non-conference.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As a Texas resident, get Baylor ladies games. Predict by end of year, they will be top 3 team with Texas. Cox is beginning to move well on both ends of court and guards becoming solid. Will be good challenge. Predict Texas will be exceptional and scary one game and less so the next. Huskies should beat both but games close.
Cox is starting to play like the #1 player of her class. She is noticeably thinner and is indeed moving very well on both ends of the floor. You can tell that she is healthy and confident. I think Baylor would have won the UCLA game under different circumstances.

Chou is soon going to end up a role player. Great shooter from 3 but too slow. And getting playing next season will be even tougher.

Alexis Morris will soon be the starting PG; she is electric and will get conference recognition, possibly national. She is a complete player and fast as lighting. Our next Odyssey Sims, although faster.

Wallace be terrific at the 2, which is her natural position.

Landrum and Richard may be the first off the bench. Cox is most improved and Landrum is really stroking the three, at times from NBA range.

Cohen will provide a big body at the 3. She is not a great shooter but plays terrific D and really hits the boards. Great hustle player.

We shall see how BU looks against UK Thursday night and then Stanford.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I think Baylor will beat Kentucky and Stanford and the games will not be close. They could become a scary team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Baylor will beat Kentucky and Stanford and the games will not be close. They could become a scary team.

Mulkey is going to need to put Chou on the bench and start Morris and play her as many minutes as she can. She is an excellent shooter and passer and has a great handle. This girl is excitement in a pair of sneakers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. This is their best shot with Billings/Canada....take those two out of the equation and they're likely a midrange PAC team.
They had the #1 recruiting class 4 years ago. They need to take advantage now.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Didn't follow the game, but UCLA only beat Kansas State by 9 in Las Vegas over the weekend; not sure how close it really was. KSU had beaten North Texas on the road by 1 point a week or so ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom