Baylor vs UCLA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor vs UCLA

Reaction Score
I don't have the PAC-12 so I'm following along through the ESPN app. But I can see Baylor is only 1-4 from 3, why hasn't UCLA gone to a zone to slow Brown down. Is Close that bad at in game adjustments??

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't have the PAC-12 so I'm following along through the ESPN app. But I can see Baylor is only 1-4 from 3, why hasn't UCLA gone to a zone to slow Brown down. Is Close that bad at in game adjustments??
What adjustment? 1-4 from the arc and the lead at the half says they're playing the perimeter and the rest of the team just fine. Let Brown score all she wants. One player can't win a game for you.

Reaction Score
What adjustment? 1-4 from the arc and the lead at the half says they're playing the perimeter and the rest of the team just fine. Let Brown score all she wants. One player can't win a game for you.

Sorry I can see it in live action but when Baylor made that run it seemed like Brown was doing what she wanted, which was why I asked if UCLA was in a zone or Close isn't adjusting to Brown killing them down low but I can see they're doing just fine now :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Bruins lead 60-49 heading into 4th.

Brown is the only reason they aren’t in this game. I realize Baylor is without Mulkey and Cox but this kinda what i was expecting from the bears this season. I never saw them as the #3 team in country.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She has adjusted their defense and it’s helped to prevent the pass from the perimeter to the low block. But a lot of Brown’s points in the second half have come from offensive boards.

Reaction Score
Oh, it's LA, and they always have far better things to do, unless Jack Nicholson is sitting in the front row and folks come to oogle at the glitterati.

UCLA will be a real challenge. It will be interesting how Geno tries to defend against Canada: whether primarily Crystal or Kia; heck, I'm thinking even Megan may get some minutes against her. But wondering whether Geno doesn't go to a zone because of Z, or some type of man-to-man zone. I have to believe that there's a Husky scout out there in the stands today.

Geno certainly has a lot of extra fouls to give if he wants to throw the freshmen into the fire against Canada.............

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bruins are gonna win. Other than rankings i personally don’t think this is an upset. Baylor was ranked too high IMO.
This is a far better team with Cox, and although their weakness is speed and athleticism they'll be there come NCAA time. Trust me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ha closing seconds here and the UCLA student section (what there is of it) started chanting “We want UConn.”

I dare say this is UCLA’s biggest win in recent program history.

Reaction Score
I usually would root against Baylor but not under these circumstances............very tough for the players to deal with the tragic news.............I wouldn't make any judgments about the team based on this game

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Ha closing seconds here and the UCLA student section (what there is of it) started chanting “We want UConn.”

Yes! I think a signature win for the Bruins.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great Win for UCLA. Baylor missed their fiery head coach; Kim Mulkey; as she would have had her sideline antics to get her players to play harder. Don't know if it would have helped today. Baylor needs to find some consistent outside shooters, so that Brown is not 60% of their offense. Baylor ball handlers had problems with UCLA's pressure defense. Didn't think Baylor played that well and IMO should have been a more dominating win for UCLA. This was a 4 point game with 6 minutes left to play.

The UCLA vs UConn game should be an interesting one on Tuesday night. I'll be surprised if its a blow out in UConn's favor. UCLA is a very talented team with enough players to keep the game interesting. Game is on ESPNU and I believe start time is 10:30 PM. I hope Katie-Lou is able to play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

They'll be sky high come UConn game time. If only we had Katie Lou 100%. But also a wonderful opportunity for Z to explode.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
let's see if they can get past Oregon who's pretty good and going to be really stacked next year
Stanford could finish 3rd or 4th in the conference. I remember when they dominated. Since Chiney left and the other teams got better, there's a lot of parity. Oregon and UCLA look tough.

Reaction Score
Baylor seems to lack good guard play. Deny the entry pass to Kalani and you take away half their offense. Missing Cox and their coach didn’t help, but overall they just didn’t look like a top 10 team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that UCLA isn't the #2 or #3 team.

Agreed. UCLA was one of the only teams in the country that didn't suffer major losses and it showed tonight against Baylor. Baylor was over ranked to start the season, and they need Cox back. More importantly, they need their perimeter players to improve otherwise they're a one trick pony with Brown.

UCLA should have a pretty cushy schedule after UCONN until conference play starts. Home and aways with Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State and Cal, plus the conference tournament will all be tough tests for UCLA.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
At the game now. Kalani Brown is the Liz Cambage of women’s college basketball. She is HUGE. Billings is 6’4” but looks like an elf standing next to Brown. I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets 35 points in this game.

Well that was pretty prophetic. Only missed it by 2 points. Good win for UCLA.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
let's see if they can get past Oregon who's pretty good and going to be really stacked next year

It's kind of now or never for UCLA, Canada and Billings are Seniors. Oregon looks good for the next 3 years at least. I keep saying though, don't forget about Oregon St. They might not win the conference this year but should still be tough and then get a big boost when Slocum is eligible next year.

Reaction Score
Agreed. UCLA was one of the only teams in the country that didn't suffer major losses and it showed tonight against Baylor. Baylor was over ranked to start the season, and they need Cox back. More importantly, they need their perimeter players to improve otherwise they're a one trick pony with Brown.

UCLA should have a pretty cushy schedule after UCONN until conference play starts. Home and aways with Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State and Cal, plus the conference tournament will all be tough tests for UCLA.
Agreed. I really like Brown but take her out of the equation and Baylor is, as my ole' southern grandma used to say, " fair to middlin".

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This is the 2nd Baylor game I’ve watched this season and it’s early still but I’ve noticed this team reaaaaaally struggles with teams that like to get up and down the court. If your team relishes in getting up and down the court and attacking the basket or hitting transition threes then you’ll give them fits because they DO NOT get back on defense. They seem like a half court offense kinda team (reminded me of our ‘15-‘16 team that was a half court team and struggled all season long with teams that like to play fast, eventually losing to one in the S16). Brown is very improved and this is her team but their talent is definitely in their youth, with Cox and the Freshman. Their young guards need to run a little bit. Speed up the tempo a bit and I could see Morris and Ursin THRIVING. I was surprised at how quick and uptempo UCLA is. Billings and Canada are lethal.. and Billings added a midrange jumper to her arsenal, making her more dangerous. I think she’s the most agile true post in the country.. I like UCLA a lot right now..

On another note.. This will be very good Baylor squad in a about two years with those young guards and that 2018 class that comes in.. they’re gonna get up and down the floor with ease.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom