Baylor vs Stanford | The Boneyard

Baylor vs Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should be a great game. The Ogwumike sisters vs Griner.
Nneka will have to play a monster game.

Not sure if Stanford has anyone that can guard Sims?
If Sims and Hayden stay hot from behind the arc, Stanford might not have much of a chance.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see what Tara comes up with for a game plan. If I were her I would be tempted to guard Griner with the non-Ogwumike post player. At least start the game with Tinkle guarding her and putting her body on her. Let the Ogwumike's shutdown Baylor's athletic forwards and double Griner when appropriate. Hopefully that will also help them stay out of foul trouble. One problem for Stanford is that for all their size they don't have true centers. Sarah Boothe is their only true center and she hasn't played much this season. At least Stanford has Orrange to guard Sims this season, but that will be a giant task for the freshman.

Stanford at least has a chance because of the Nneka has improved her jump shooting, but she'll have to have a huge game. And Stanford is going to have to make their 3s. It's hard to see Stanford wining this game as Stanford just doesn't have the players outside of Nneka to really threaten Baylor's defense. I hope to be surprised.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see what Tara comes up with for a game plan. If I were her I would be tempted to guard Griner with the non-Ogwumike post player. At least start the game with Tinkle guarding her and putting her body on her. Let the Ogwumike's shutdown Baylor's athletic forwards and double Griner when appropriate. Hopefully that will also help them stay out of foul trouble. One problem for Stanford is that for all their size they don't have true centers. Sarah Boothe is their only true center and she hasn't played much this season. At least Stanford has Orrange to guard Sims this season, but that will be a giant task for the freshman.

Stanford at least has a chance because of the Nneka has improved her jump shooting, but she'll have to have a huge game. And Stanford is going to have to make their 3s. It's hard to see Stanford wining this game as Stanford just doesn't have the players outside of Nneka to really threaten Baylor's defense. I hope to be surprised.
Agree with all your points. And I would add that Griner could block a number of Nneka's shots, making it even more difficult for Stanford to score.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Kokenis often guards the opponent's best perimeter player, so she may be on Sims.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Sanford guards seem a bit slow and not particularly athletic, a major deficiency in playing Baylor/

Reaction Score
Guard the guards, press a pressing team, hope for turnovers and play as fast as you can. Brittany gets sloppy when playing too fast on defense, She still can get frustrated and I noticed allot of coddeling from coaches on the bench because she was missing shots. I also believe that the pressure of being undefeated will break this team.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The Sanford guards seem a bit slow and not particularly athletic, a major deficiency in playing Baylor/

You think Orrange and Kokenis are slow and not athletic? Wow. I can't even begin to respond to that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The strength of Baylor for the most part has been Simms and Griner. at different times, Williams, Hayden or Pope have stepped up. but a majority of the scoring and offense has come from the big 2. and Simms as the PG often has the ball in her hands so the decision making her hers.

the problem for Baylor is that Stanford starts a center (Tinkle) who is surprising mobile and loves to run across the lane to get an open look for a 3. additionally, both Chiney and Nneka (especially Nneka) have shown they can hit the mid range jumper with accuracy.

this somewhat negates Baylor's huge 6'8" weapon, Griner. not saying she won't be a factor, but if Baylor keeps her in the post, the rest of the Stanford team can range around and get open looks.

i said from the beginning of the NCAA's, when some UCONN fans were pining for Stanford in our bracket - they are a MUCH different team than when we beat them earlier. KML was on fire, Nneka was out for about 10 minutes in the 1st half, and they started Greenfield and Laroque that game. now they start Tinkle and Orrange in their place along with Kokenis and Ogwumike (x2), and to my untrained eye, Chiney has improved as much as anyone in the country since December...

i'm not saying Stanford will win, but they are a very good, deep, well coached and disciplined team. they beat the snot out of Tennessee by a similar margin putting up almost 100 points on the LVols. granted that was back in late december, but i think Stanford was still starting Greenfield and Laroque. i'd be shocked (if Baylor does win), if the margin is by more than 5-6 points. and i'd not be surprised to see Stanford send Baylor home. i'll be rooting for the Cardinal either way...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
You think Orrange and Kokenis are slow and not athletic? Wow. I can't even begin to respond to that.

I agree with you Comp Sci87. I have seen both a lot this year and both have plenty of speed and both are athletic. I really enjoy this forum but also remember that there were some people on this forum, I dont recall the name(s), that did not know who Courtney Vandersloot was either.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with you Comp Sci87. I have seen both a lot this year and both have plenty of speed and both are athletic. I really enjoy this forum but also remember that there were some people on this forum, I dont recall the name(s), that did not know who Courtney Vandersloot was either.
Vander-who? are you referring to the Stanford coach, Tara VanDerVeer? ;)

Reaction Score

heard that before..... but we keep on winning. Kokenis and Orrange are a much quicker and an efficient backourt than people realize.

Reaction Score
The strength of Baylor for the most part has been Simms and Griner. at different times, Williams, Hayden or Pope have stepped up. but a majority of the scoring and offense has come from the big 2. and Simms as the PG often has the ball in her hands so the decision making her hers.

the problem for Baylor is that Stanford starts a center (Tinkle) who is surprising mobile and loves to run across the lane to get an open look for a 3. additionally, both Chiney and Nneka (especially Nneka) have shown they can hit the mid range jumper with accuracy.

this somewhat negates Baylor's huge 6'8" weapon, Griner. not saying she won't be a factor, but if Baylor keeps her in the post, the rest of the Stanford team can range around and get open looks.

i said from the beginning of the NCAA's, when some UCONN fans were pining for Stanford in our bracket - they are a MUCH different team than when we beat them earlier. KML was on fire, Nneka was out for about 10 minutes in the 1st half, and they started Greenfield and Laroque that game. now they start Tinkle and Orrange in their place along with Kokenis and Ogwumike (x2), and to my untrained eye, Chiney has improved as much as anyone in the country since December...

i'm not saying Stanford will win, but they are a very good, deep, well coached and disciplined team. they beat the snot out of Tennessee by a similar margin putting up almost 100 points on the LVols. granted that was back in late december, but i think Stanford was still starting Greenfield and Laroque. i'd be shocked (if Baylor does win), if the margin is by more than 5-6 points. and i'd not be surprised to see Stanford send Baylor home. i'll be rooting for the Cardinal either way...

excellent post and analysis, Eric. Can't say that I disagree. To my eyes, Baylor looked slow on O last night, a lot of standing around and waiting. O sisters work much harder for the ball than Brit. Also, the altitude will be a factor. I think Stanford is in better shape, thanks to a very rigorous program designed by Susan-King Borchadt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
excellent post and analysis, Eric. Can't say that I disagree. To my eyes, Baylor looked slow on O last night, a lot of standing around and waiting. O sisters work much harder for the ball than Brit. Also, the altitude will be a factor. I think Stanford is in better shape, thanks to a very rigorous program designed by Susan-King Borchadt.
thanks. as you can probably tell, i'm a closet Stanford fan lol.

Reaction Score
:p LMAO I came out of the closet with UCONN 23 years+
With STANFORD it is not an accident that Tara gets Smart,classy,really well coached
players and teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01