Baylor vs Ohio St. 7:30 PM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor vs Ohio St. 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's still early, but Baylor has a couple of good wins (and a loss to us), and South Carolina does as well.

Teams with issues and trending downward include Ohio State, Louisville, Arizona State, and Tennessee.

Teams that look impressive include Baylor, South Carolina, DePaul, and Florida State.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's still early, but Baylor has a couple of good wins (and a loss to us), and South Carolina does as well.

Teams with issues and trending downward include Ohio State, Louisville, Arizona State, and Tennessee.

Teams that look impressive include Baylor, South Carolina, DePaul, and Florida State.
And Notre Dame. Let's not forget. Baylor really has the talent. Their issue seems to me effort, stamina and execution.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agree that South Carolina...and ok Baylor look dangerous
Less so about ND and I think we out athlete DePaul.

Sad to see how lost Nina Davis looks in the new Baylor offense (?)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I'd add Syracuse to the list of downward-trending teams.

But it's a long season. I guarantee that in February and March at least a couple of teams will be making an impact after looking bad or unremarkable before Christmas. Last year at this time of year absolutely no one was talking about Syracuse.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor wins 85-68. Don't think either team makes the F4.

Who makes the FF? UCONN, SC. ND has had some lackluster wins so I would not consider them a given. Louisville got their butts handed to them today. Maybe Stanford is trending upward.

Chances are that Baylor won't lose another game unless Texas pulls it all together. Baylor will have wins over Ohio State, UCLA, DePaul and most likely OU, UT, the other UT, and WVU, with the only loss at UCONN. That will probably earn them a number 1 seed in the Dallas region.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What we are seeing in alot of these games is teams that accumulate talent and throw a ball out on the court and they play. Some of these schools need guards that can pass the ball and depend on some one else to score. Guards that think they need to shoot first dont play as coaches on the floor they play as ball hogs. Theyre good but basketball is a team game and they will have problems winning. This is why discipline and development of players which in turn is the development of a team is so important. All the great recruits in the country wont get you a championship, until they learn to play as a team.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Who knows who makes the FF at this point??

Not one person had Syracuse, Washington, or Oregon State last year.

Anything can happen. Lots of games to be played and I think seeding will be huge this year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A lot of that has to do with the Baylor defense. Baylor is playing her tight on the perimeter and forcing her to drive and she is driving right into the land of the bigs and she is having little luck shooting over them are going around them.

Baylor has missed too many shots around the rim, especially Kalani Brown. If Brown had finished more shots Baylor would be up by 20.

When your team has more than one big that's 6'4"+ it's always funny watching the opposing guards try to drive into the paint only to quickly make a U-turn ..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand why she chose Baylor! She will have to play behind Brown/Mompremier for 3 years. Mompremier is by far the most athletic of the 3. She flat runs the floor
In her own words : That's (being close to home) huge for me because I'm really close with my family. I'll still get to see my (Three) sisters grow up and go through high school and things like that.

No. 1 Prospect Lauren Cox Gives Verbal Commitment To Baylor

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why she chose Baylor! She will have to play behind Brown/Mompremier for 3 years. Mompremier is by far the most athletic of the 3. She flat runs the floor

Maybe she wanted to be able to develop at her own pace and not be thrown into a starting position and expected to carry a team right off the bat. Cox will be a good player but she has a lot of work to do. Bigs typically take a little longer to develop and she is still adjusting to the college game. But going against Brown and Mompremier in practice should surely help her development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@easttexastrash I am starting to really worry about the psyche and future of Nina Davis. I have watched the UCONN vs. Baylor replay where she seems lost and severely lacking energy. Her numbers are down drastically. You have already stated that you think Baylor might have two players ( Prince & Jones) drafted ahead of her but is there a remedy for the remainder of the season to get her back on track and contributing.

Reaction Score
UCONN will be the only team in the FF. They will receive two byes and easily win a 12th title.
Actually, uconn will be given the title before the championship starts, the final 4 will still be filled with 4 teams competing for the runner-up.

Reaction Score
Actually, uconn will be given the title before the championship starts, the final 4 will still be filled with 4 teams competing for the runner-up.
Should have been last year, lol. This year is wide open.

Reaction Score
Maybe she wanted to be able to develop at her own pace and not be thrown into a starting position and expected to carry a team right off the bat. Cox will be a good player but she has a lot of work to do. Bigs typically take a little longer to develop and she is still adjusting to the college game. But going against Brown and Mompremier in practice should surely help her development.
I watched Cox for the second time this year and I was shocked by her lack of impact when she was in the game. She did not run the floor well, did not seem to have a mid range shot, and was not much of a factor on the defensive end. I realize this is a small sample and agree some bigs can take longer to develop. But....

Reaction Score
When your team has more than one big that's 6'4"+ it's always funny watching the opposing guards try to drive into the paint only to quickly make a U-turn ..
Unless the guard is Moriah, then she makes the big look foolish.

Reaction Score
As I was watching OSU play, a strange thought occurred to me, imagining these Buckeyes vs. the Washington Huskies.

The event would not resemble a basketball game. More like a game of H-O-R-S-E between two Kelseys (Mitchell vs. Plum) with eight uniformed ball retrievers on the court with them.:rolleyes:

Well, Neighbors was McGuff's top assistant; not that big a surprise.

But I think OSU will be better by year end, they are still trying to fit all the parts in to the right places.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I think that is what everyone is doing, NO?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I watched Cox for the second time this year and I was shocked by her lack of impact when she was in the game. She did not run the floor well, did not seem to have a mid range shot, and was not much of a factor on the defensive end. I realize this is a small sample and agree some bigs can take longer to develop. But....

I agree. She looks a little overwhelmed and lost at times. But Kim has made it very clear that she is building this team around Brown and Mompremier so I don't mind being patient with Cox and her development. She just simply isn't as good at this point as the two bigs that Kim already trusts.

I am surprised that Nina Davis is still starting but I think Kim doesn't want to crush Davis more than she already has. I cannot imagine going from being an AA to being a role player. HOWEVER, Nina knew what was coming and did not come back this season with a better outside shot and her lack of height is a real detriment at times. She gets a lot of shots blocked. Nina did not prepare herself to play the 3, which is what she needed to do to stay on the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
McGuff's team embarrassed itself and at this point that's on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom