Baylor up Next | The Boneyard

Baylor up Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Baylor will be the next ranked team we face, thoughts?

IMO, shut down Odyssey Sims, win the game. Sims averages 30.4 pts per game. The next player averages 16 per, then 3rd place is 8 pts/game. She is their offense. Sims is 2nd in assists and the leading 3 point shooter. She has taken more free throws than the next two players combined. She has been Baylor's leading scorer in nine of the ten games so far this season, including scoring 47, 39, 33 and 30 points in four games. Shut down Sims w/ MoJeff, Banks and/or Hartley, win the game.

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
It's always a thrill to break another team's consecutive home win streak(i.e. Stanford, Duke) Now against Baylor they will have 69 in a row before UConn takes them down by 20+ on January 13.

Reaction Score
2 trips to Texas this season. Huge exposure and on National TV again........This is why teams dislike UCONN, DUKE and KY..NO National TV, Stanford and TENN...NO TV outside the PAC 12.........How sad and the wonder why WCBB is in such trouble........We need new leadership and we need it now...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Even if Sims scores 30 (which she won't) UConn still wins comfortably.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You are not going to shut down Sims. Keep her between 15 to 20 and UConn wins by 20+.

Yep - It's not that easy to shut down a great player who has the ball in their hands a lot. Comparatively easy to take away a post by packing the defense or sending help. Sims is aggressive, very strong with the ball, fast, etc. She will get hers, although not 42 pts.

If we play her tough and she gets frustrated, we could win by 25-30. But I think the margin will be closer to 15 and that Sims will score around 23-25 pts. She will be our biggest single defensive challenge all year, IMO, a tougher matchup for us than Chiney.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a must win. UConn lost twice in a row to Baylor due to furious comebacks mounted by Brittney Griner. She's not at the collegiate level anymore, obviously, along with a number of other Baylor players who were factors the past two seasons..

Clearly, the transitive property applies accurately to WCBB. UConn throttled Duke, who beat Kentucky, who edged Baylor in 4 OT, So obviously, UConn should win easily!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What has become very apparent is opponents have a lot of difficulty getting inside on UConn. Yesterday Cal dribble drove and was stuck or blocked. They got the ball to their big's who tried to score and they suffered tremendously. Simms may score a lot of points against UConn but I doubt she or her team mates score consistently inside. Genos approach to the game will take Simms out of her comfort zone. Having Breanna out front forcing opponents to shoot from deep is one of our biggest assets on offense. Having Stef and or Kiah underneath is the backup needed to keep opponents from scoring easily inside. As you saw yesterday it was devastating.

HGN

Reaction Score
Obviously with a AA guard as strong , fast , and aggressive as Sims , we are not going to completely shut her down. She will draw fouls and get to the line. Either way she is going to score. One reason she could be averaging 30pt/game is that Baylor needs her to score that much in order to win. What I think will happen is that UConn will shut down or limit all Baylor's other options. Sims is not going to beat UConn all by herself. She will need some help and UConn will limit the amount of help Sims gets. If that happens I think it will translate into a win for UConn.

Baylor is a good team with a good and fiery coach. And they are playing at home with a home crowd....But what they don't have is Griner and supporting cast like they had a couple years ago.......Sims will need help and I don't think she's going to get it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Sims likes to drive to the basket, through the defense. Virtually every drive will force the Refs to decide offensive/defensive foul. Sims fouled out against Kentucky, all on offensive drives. So obviously, a lot depends on how the Refs officiate, i.e. make their calls.

Reaction Score
Barring foul trouble...UConn by 25+. Baylor has no real post play to speak of, if O. Sims thinks it'lll be a lay up drill she is sadly mistaken. We, yes, "We", are not Kentucky. We are tall and defend the paint best! Go Huskies!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are not going to shut down Sims. Keep her between 15 to 20 and UConn wins by 20+.
Keeping her around 15 is pretty much shutting her down. Cutting her scoring in half.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

Husky....agree, but holding Sims to 15-20 would be "shutting her down" in my book...;) She is too talented to hold to single digits....:)

Edit - meyers....great minds think alike....kinda scary:cool:

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I predict,that if Sims is guarded by Jefferson,Banks,and Bria on a rotation of some kind,she won't even get 20.

Reaction Score
You are all correct, especially keeping out of foul trouble, especially NeNe.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sims is their weapon and its her dribble drive. She gets to the line a fair amount. Baylor wins close games because of this. Reason they didnt beat Kentucky was because she fouled out.

Like I said in the preseason, Baylor will win close games just because of Sims.

And yes, UCONN by 20+.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This thread comprises a testimony to the greatness of Odyssey Sims.

She is one helluva player.

GG

Reaction Score
Odyssey is arguably the best guard in the country. Although UCONN likely will not shut her down, the Huskies will do their best to make things difficult. It should be fun.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is a must win. UConn lost twice in a row to Baylor due to furious comebacks mounted by Brittney Griner. She's not at the collegiate level anymore, obviously, along with a number of other Baylor players who were factors the past two seasons..

Clearly, the transitive property applies accurately to WCBB. UConn throttled Duke, who beat Kentucky, who edged Baylor in 4 OT, So obviously, UConn should win easily!

Note: Duke beat t UK by 8 points with UK's top scorer out, and UK, at full strength, beat BU with Alexis Prince out. I contend that BU could beat UK or Duke.

However, that's irrelevant. UCONN by 25 - 30, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom