Baylor/TX officiating was the worst..... | The Boneyard

Baylor/TX officiating was the worst.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor, Texas game was painful to watch. Kim had, players doing the flop all night, and Sims as usual was allowed to push off with one arm as she drove to the basket. Texas had 37 fouls called against them to the 21 called against Baylor. Baylor was 37 of 44 from the line, and Texas was 18 of 26. It would seem to me, that if enough coaches complain by tournament time, you may get the attention of the officials. I thought up until this year, Notre Dame had a lock on drawing fouls, no longer, it's Baylor..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I thought for a large part the refs just mailed in the game Uconn at Cincinnati. They let almost anything go in the paint (except three seconds) and saw nothing wrong with a couple of hard arm fouls on driving players. Just seemed by the time the lead got to 20 they just wanted the game over so they could go home. One of the few really good comments Meghan made was that kind of officiating led to chipyness and could have a game get out of hand.
I think officiating is a really tough job and the line between too many calls and too few is very fine, but consistency is really important and should be easier to accomplish.
And I agree about the flopping - it is a bad trend in WCBB. And if you are going to handcuff the perimeter defenders about touches, then you have to also nail the offensive players for pushing off. Too often the contact initiated by offensive players is ignored.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We need a song to describe this:
Maybe to the music of Bernstein's Wrong Note Rag (wonderful recording by my old orchestra on Nonsuch…Bernstein's New York)
Someone can write the lyrics…pretty please?

We call it the Flop-pers Rag!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's just pathetic. It really is. I guess when your team is lacking talent, you go for the Academy Awards bucket for flopping. I detest that sort of game plan. Let's hope the refs wake up and stop calling that crap.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And I thought for a large part the refs just mailed in the game Uconn at Cincinnati. They let almost anything go in the paint (except three seconds) and saw nothing wrong with a couple of hard arm fouls on driving players. Just seemed by the time the lead got to 20 they just wanted the game over so they could go home.

neither Geno nor Jamelle were going to B&M to the refs about this game... both would leave it up to the other to reel in their players

Reaction Score
I agree the flops are bad, the fouls on a defensive player who is stationary are just as bad. If you want to draw a foul just drive to the basket, and jump into the defender just hard enough to draw contact. The refs are whistle happy,and arrogantly act like they are the only one who understands the game. The number of players who get in foul trouble because of bogus calls is ridiculous. I don't enjoy watching games with 70 free throws, and either does ESPN.. ....they are over 2 hours and wreck the schedule

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've thought this the whole season the games are becoming unwatchable because of these new hand check rules. The refs rule the game not the players.
I actually think the hand check has been pretty well integrated into defenders games - I don't see that many any more. And that is fine. What does bother me is the offensive push-offs that don't get called and the generally thuggery in the post which isn't being called but was supposed to be part of the emphasis this season. The other issue that I see a ton is the more subtle lower body contact on players around the basket that displace them while they are in the air in the act of shooting. It is actually quite dangerous and it doesn't get called - a light tap on the wrist is called but players have learned they can displace the lower body without being called. When a player is put off balance like that, they often have to land awkwardly and that is when the ankles/knees/feet take extra stress.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Texas had 3 players foul out and another 3 with 4 fouls. Eighteen of Sims' 44 pts came from the charity stripe and she fired up 34 shots out of a team total of 63. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just imagine a Baylor-ND game in the NCAA. What a flop fest that would be!!!!!! I bet Hollywood would sent their talent scouts to watch the game!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Just imagine a Baylor-ND game in the NCAA. What a flop fest that would be!!!!!! I bet Hollywood would sent their talent scouts to watch the game!

Goodgood, as soon as I read this, a Monty Python-like image popped into my head, with players flinching, flopping, twitching and spasming, left, right and sideways. I can hear Michael Palin doing the play-by-play - "Simms drives the lane, .. and, she's down! McBride falls sideways, as well. Now, Simms is back up again! Anachowa, for no apparent reason, just ran herself into the stanchion! Meanwhile, Robertson keeps bumping into Loyd, flailing backwards, and screaming! Coach Kim Mulkey is going bananas, and has thrown her rainbow-boa jacket at the scorer's table! Head official, John Cleese has called time-out. During the time out, Dee Kantner has been watching a tape of yesterday's UConn game, and has, retroactively, called a foul on UConn's Stef Dolson, for not flopping when a Cincy player ran smack into her and knocked her to the ground!"

Reaction Score
Never thought of that. That game could be very interesting...

Reaction Score
I have stated previously that this is the one aspect of WBB that drives me completely insane! I watch an average of 4-5 games a week as many as I can on tv and my UCONN Women's season tix and have found there are NO good referees in all of WBB, the NCAA and WNBA!
Some of the supposed to be top officials, Dee Kantor, Lisa Mattingly, Brian Enterline, Denise Brooks, Eric Brewton, Bob Trammel,Tina Napier, Dennis DeMayo, Cameron, Inouye, work an average of 5-6 games a week! This past week, Dee Kantor, Lisa Mattingly, Brian Enterline, and Denise Brooks, etc. did games in PA, TX, Okla, MD, NoCar! You have to be both mentally & physically exhausted at the end of that work week!
Please check out www.wbbstate.com/officials where they have an officials directory, By games played, Avg. fouls called, Home fouls margin rankings! Very informative!
The game has grown so talented and fast that the Officials cannot keep up with the action!
One major problem IMO is the top supervisors in each Conference are ex-officials from that Conference! So they are evaluating their BEST FRIENDS games! Duh! They should hire ex-officials from the NBA for example with no ties to WBB to evaluate games!
Two fouls are 95% of the time mis-called, screens & charges! The screen set is always moving now! You must be completely still while setting the screen! Never happens, legs or hips or arms are moving! In calling the charge/block it is so simple, if the offensive player lowers their shoulder and touches the defense it HAS to be a charge! They initiated the contact!
Calling the fouls under the basket from midcourt is also mind bending!
The Officiating as done today can control who wins in a game of two top teams where every play is a game-changer!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
And I thought for a large part the refs just mailed in the game Uconn at Cincinnati. They let almost anything go in the paint (except three seconds) and saw nothing wrong with a couple of hard arm fouls on driving players. Just seemed by the time the lead got to 20 they just wanted the game over so they could go home. One of the few really good comments Meghan made was that kind of officiating led to chipyness and could have a game get out of hand.
I think officiating is a really tough job and the line between too many calls and too few is very fine, but consistency is really important and should be easier to accomplish.
And I agree about the flopping - it is a bad trend in WCBB. And if you are going to handcuff the perimeter defenders about touches, then you have to also nail the offensive players for pushing off. Too often the contact initiated by offensive players is ignored.
I think the refs must have been consistent in the Texas-Baylor game. They called 58 fouls.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
All refs suck! Look at any thread from any fan group in any sport! It's a wonder anyone can stand watching the games! Fans should call the games! Give them whistles! They know the rules! They're unbiased! They are in it for the love of the game! And they've got a great perspective from their couches!

Reaction Score
All refs suck! Look at any thread from any fan group in any sport! It's a wonder anyone can stand watching the games! Fans should call the games! Give them whistles! They know the rules! They're unbiased! They are in it for the love of the game! And they've got a great perspective from their couches!

There should be a reffing app. I would be awesome!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn said:

LOL :)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I can agree with almost everything you said. Except where you talked about the fans love of the game. There seems to be at least as much hate as love in their replies.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I must admit that I misread your post. I thought you said they had a great perspective from their coaches, not couches. Wouldn't you have had to see their couches to know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom