Baylor Scandal leads to Texas Ranger Investigation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Scandal leads to Texas Ranger Investigation

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you don't get it right the first time, try, try again...Head bang

"I'm sorry for the choice of words." 10 seconds of awkward open mouth face rubbing. "The timing wasn't good." (What the hell does that mean?) Poor analogy maybe as well. (what analogy? If they say this, smack um. Ain't no analogy.) Followed by a lot of it was an emotional moment BS. Mulkey that's called an excited utterance, that can and will be held against you. In your excitement you spoke honestly ... and that does condemn you.

Check it out: Women's Basketball - ESPN

Reaction Score
"I'm sorry for the choice of words." 10 seconds of awkward open mouth face rubbing. "The timing wasn't good." (What the hell does that mean?) Poor analogy maybe as well. (what analogy? If they say this, smack um. Ain't no analogy.) Followed by a lot of it was an emotional moment BS. Mulkey that's called an excited utterance, that can and will be held against you. In your excitement you spoke honestly ... and that does condemn you.

Check it out: Women's Basketball - ESPN

Exactly! "sorry for those choice of words, timing wasn't good, poor analogy..." That's what she's sorry about? I think she was tearing up because she'd been severely criticized, not at all because she had reconsidered, and now understands how toxic the culture is, how horribly the university treated scores of women, perhaps hundreds. She seems to be upset because she was criticized.

Wonder if Baylor is thinking about letting her go. Could be early days in that movement. But if investigations go forward. If more comes out. And if the outrage at Mulkey builds. Wonder. Not unthinkable.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
So is that their equivalent to the Connecticut state police?
Chief Dan Matthews - Patrolling Connecticut, and another Mean Dude.
upload_2017-3-2_19-32-53.png
21-50 to Headquarters!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Exactly! "sorry for those choice of words, timing wasn't good, poor analogy..." That's what she's sorry about? I think she was tearing up because she'd been severely criticized, not at all because she had reconsidered, and now understands how toxic the culture is, how horribly the university treated scores of women, perhaps hundreds. She seems to be upset because she was criticized.

Wonder if Baylor is thinking about letting her go. Could be early days in that movement. But if investigations go forward. If more comes out. And if the outrage at Mulkey builds. Wonder. Not unthinkable.

You are looking at a Mulkey who is scared, so who knows. Is she a callous dullard, you bet. Does she deserve this, you bet. Where is it going? I'll bet ... nowhere. The public has a 10 second attention span and a really dulled down sense of moral outrage (if their favorite nightly nnews talking face doesn't tell them how to think/throw stones).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are looking at a Mulkey who is scared, so who knows. Is she a callous dullard, you bet. Does she deserve this, you bet. Where is it going? I'll bet ... nowhere. The public has a 10 second attention span and a really dulled down sense of moral outrage (if their favorite nightly nnews talking face doesn't tell them how to think/throw stones).
Rocky I am 100% with on the first half of your observation. You start to lose me on the "no where" and beyond statements. Here my confusion: where did you want the Mulkey issue to go-do you want her fired, fined, sensured in some fashion by the Big12? I am sincere in asking as I truly think Baylor needs her as a face for their contrition. I do hope she was/is now sincere and I actually think their local media will stay on top of her and of the investigation. I think your continued tangent points are being made out of frustration as I know you wouldn't paint us all with that broad stroke.

I am happy this took on the life and focus it did as it is truly a concern and not just for Baylor but for all universities. Based on how the Baylor fans have reacted I was worried there wouldn't be any discussions.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

But remember:
A lot of people have already lost their jobs
And that's before (way before) the full extent of the problem was known.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky I am 100% with on the first half of your observation. You start to lose me on the "no where" and beyond statements. Here my confusion: where did you want the Mulkey issue to go-do you want her fired, fined, sensured in some fashion by the Big12? I am sincere in asking as I truly think Baylor needs her as a face for their contrition. I do hope she was/is now sincere and I actually think their local media will stay on top of her and of the investigation. I think your continued tangent points are being made out of frustration as I know you wouldn't paint us all with that broad stroke.

I am happy this took on the life and focus it did as it is truly a concern and not just for Baylor but for all universities. Based on how the Baylor fans have reacted I was worried there wouldn't be any discussions.

Yeah, the "nowhere" is born out of anger and frustration. The Big 12 didn't in essence fine them $7.5 million because when they investigated they discovered that Baylor now got it and were proceeding in good faith to build institutional controls and appropriate reporting mechanisms and support for victims. Quite the contrary. Baylor was blowing smoke and intended to get back to business as usual. Baylor is bad business cloaked in a religious mantle. It is disgusting frankly. The US DOJ jumped all over little old Montana U a few years ago and I think it is high time they did the same to the good old boys who run Baylor.

Reaction Score
"You are looking at a Mulkey who is scared, so who knows. Is she a callous dullard, you bet."

"A Callous dullard"??? Man, that's brutal. [Art Briles was the callous dullard; and every coach at Baylor is having to try to live beyond the stink he and his enablers left around here]

Hope to meet some of you guys in Dallas in 4 weeks. Best wishes to your guys in avoiding injury in the meaningless conference tourneys.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"You are looking at a Mulkey who is scared, so who knows. Is she a callous dullard, you bet."

"A Callous dullard"??? Man, that's brutal. [Art Briles was the callous dullard; and every coach at Baylor is having to try to live beyond the stink he and his enablers left around here]

Hope to meet some of you guys in Dallas in 4 weeks. Best wishes to your guys in avoiding injury in the meaningless conference tourneys.

Dullard is probably the wrong word. Saying what she said was incredibly stupid. After the independent report and its fallout everyone knew there was no pushing back against that which would be anything but counter-productive. She's cocky, self-centered and hot tempered and regularly gets herself in trouble. So is there one word to capture that? She wants the spot light and will do strange things to get it. Now she has made herself, for at least a time, a lightning rod and lightning season is coming upon us.

Reaction Score
I'd say that Mulkey has tunnel-vision. That she got where she is by being ferociously focused. Some people can be that ambitious and still have a broader perspective (sometimes that's called "wisdom"). Some people can't: they are wired to do just one thing (Isaiah Berlin's famous "Hedgehog and Fox" distinction derived from Archilochus: "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing").

And, while some people are wired to do/know things just one way, other people are simply scared to broaden their thinking. They believe that if they do that, somehow they'll lose the edge they've gained through that single-minded intensity. Freud defined maturity as learning to live with your ambiguities. That means accepting, rather than suppressing, complexity.

Is Mulkey hard-wired to know only what she knows, or is she emotionally stunted from knowing more than that? Nature vs. nurture?

Either way, she needs people around her to help her get the right message out. Because, one more slip-up of any sort--whether it be on sexual assault or sexual identity or some new thing coming out of left field--and good luck with recruiting....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is just disgusting. After everything they've been through! Inept may become the new Baylor descriptor.
A.J. Perez , USA TODAY Sports Published 1:20 a.m. ET March 14, 2017

DeMarkco Butler was hired Feb. 15 by new head football coach Matt Rhule, who was tasked with righting a football program that had several players linked to sexual and domestic assaults. KWTX-TV, the CBS affiliate in Waco, Texas, reported that Butler was fired for sending inappropriate texts to a teenager.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
This is just disgusting. After everything they've been through! Inept may become the new Baylor descriptor.

DeMarkco Butler was hired Feb. 15 by new head football coach Matt Rhule, who was tasked with righting a football program that had several players linked to sexual and domestic assaults. KWTX-TV, the CBS affiliate in Waco, Texas, reported that Butler was fired for sending inappropriate texts to a teenager.

[LINK]

The second firing of a new football employee in the past month............the other one had to do with a prostitution ring............yikes!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did the football coach bring these two with him from his last job? Big football and big basketball have gotten too big for their britches. I fear it will not change.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I laud you for your presence, perseverance and efforts to clarify the issues for us on the site.

I do empathize with all those who must deal with the horrible fall out and am hoping Karma throws a pox on Briles who in addition to all the crap he pulled had the temerity to sue the Board of Regents for wrongful termination and then pulled his suit when the Regents lawyers displayed their discovery. Unfortunately for Briles, another BU athletic department member kept his suit on the docket causing the public release show what an abosulute disgrace of a guy BRiles is.

BU did get a good bracket and should definitely feel they were not overlooked.

Reaction Score
Did the football coach bring these two with him from his last job? Big football and big basketball have gotten too big for their britches. I fear it will not change.

Yes from the Texas Detention Center football program.........:rolleyes:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Actually, they are sending only one Ranger. After all, there is only one scandal.
I think it would be fairer to bring in an outside investigator.....but, John Wayne is not around anymore!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

[LINK]

A fish rots from the head down. There is absolutely nothing about this development that I like. The culture there seems so foul, so morally bankrupt how could it not continue to hire reflections of itself. It is a mirror facing a mirror. A separate incident that is part and parcel of all that is wrong with Baylor MFB. The NCAA should give itself and its partners the death penalty if it fails to give Baylor the death penalty.

Reaction Score
I'd say that Mulkey has tunnel-vision. That she got where she is by being ferociously focused. Some people can be that ambitious and still have a broader perspective (sometimes that's called "wisdom"). Some people can't: they are wired to do just one thing (Isaiah Berlin's famous "Hedgehog and Fox" distinction derived from Archilochus: "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing").

And, while some people are wired to do/know things just one way, other people are simply scared to broaden their thinking. They believe that if they do that, somehow they'll lose the edge they've gained through that single-minded intensity. Freud defined maturity as learning to live with your ambiguities. That means accepting, rather than suppressing, complexity.

Is Mulkey hard-wired to know only what she knows, or is she emotionally stunted from knowing more than that? Nature vs. nurture?

Either way, she needs people around her to help her get the right message out. Because, one more slip-up of any sort--whether it be on sexual assault or sexual identity or some new thing coming out of left field--and good luck with recruiting....

Geno Auriemma is also "focused." Can't win so many national championships, and lead the USA team to numerous world and Olympic championships without being "focused." But he understands right from wrong. He hasn't said anything like what Mulkey has said.

No excuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom