Baylor Scandal leads to Texas Ranger Investigation | The Boneyard

Baylor Scandal leads to Texas Ranger Investigation

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't get it. The Texas Rangers are a baseball team.

Indeed, and, when it comes to Texas law enforcement, they're the heavy hitters..:D

901e0c37086156a1d686d5b58d44419f.jpg

Reaction Score
They are in a world of crap now. This is the last thing that they would want to happen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The arrogance of academia never ceases to amaze me. This, too, is why the Big 12 just hammered them for trying to sell the "we've taken care of it" lie to them. So, Mulkey was toeing the company line with that "it's over, move on" stuff at her press conference.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
So is that their equivalent to the Connecticut state police?

oh, I'm not sure if that's a good comparison or not - I'll have to do some Googling. Historically, the Rangers were part police and part paramilitary, given the violence of the raw frontier - Indians, criminals, conflicts with Mexico. We tend to forget, being in a part of the country essentially settled & civilized since the 1700's, just how recent "domestication" is in West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc.. There have been civilizations there since the year 1000, but not American civilization - and the transition wasn't peaceful, smooth, nor kind. Arizona and New Mexico have been states for barely 100 years. I'm a huge fan of the Land of Enchantment - I was just out there 12 days ago. It's very, very different than anyplace I've been, east of the Mississippi.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't get it. The Texas Rangers are a baseball team.
Nah, nah , nah...............Not this particular group of Rangers. These guys carry badges and sidearms. Not bats.......:) In the end , depending upon what they find , Baylor may wish they
were the baseball playing Rangers.

Reaction Score
So much for Mulkey's assertion that this is all in the past:

"(Baylor) is currently reviewing approximately 125 reports of sexual assault or harassment from 2011 to 2015."

But the university, according to data in Washington Post, only reported four sexual assaults to the federal government in 2015. But now they're reviewing 125 reports in four years? But according to Mulkey, if any parent of a daughter expresses concern about sending that daughter to Baylor, they should be hit in the face.

Got it.

Reaction Score
Didn't Mulkey say that what went on at Baylor is no different from the situation at every other university? Not according to this legislator:

"..On Friday, state Rep. Roland Gutierrez filed a house resolution asking (Texas) Gov. Greg Abbott to tap the (Texas Rangers)....'What has happened here in Waco, what happened at Baylor, is so far different from any university in the state,' Gutierrez said Monday. 'We can’t stop bad things from happening, but we sure as hell can demand accountability. We sure as hell can demand that people protect our children.'”

Actually, the university probably can stop a lot of "bad things from happening." But accountability is a good place to begin.

Reaction Score
Didn't Mulkey say that what went on at Baylor is no different from the situation at every other university? Not according to this legislator:

"..On Friday, state Rep. Roland Gutierrez filed a house resolution asking (Texas) Gov. Greg Abbott to tap the (Texas Rangers)....'What has happened here in Waco, what happened at Baylor, is so far different from any university in the state,' Gutierrez said Monday. 'We can’t stop bad things from happening, but we sure as hell can demand accountability. We sure as hell can demand that people protect our children.'”

Actually, the university probably can stop a lot of "bad things from happening." But accountability is a good place to begin.

Safety and protection is one issue. Cover up and complicity is the second issue.

If the Texas rangers show up at your door, you better be ready for a proctology exam.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No. It is the equivalent to the FBI but without the politics.

The Texas Rangers are in fact part of the same law enforcement agency equivalent to the Conn. state police. In Texas it's called the Dept. of Public Safety. The Rangers are equivalent to the detectives division of the Conn. state police.

Reaction Score
The Texas Rangers are in fact part of the same law enforcement agency equivalent to the Conn. state police. In Texas it's called the Dept. of Public Safety. The Rangers are equivalent to the detectives division of the Conn. state police.

I can't resist. You cannot compare the Connecticut State Police to the Texas Rangers. The Connecticut State Police are significantly underfunded and under staffed and operate under significant constraints that tie one of their hands behind their backs. The whole attitude in Texas in support of the Police organizations is significantly different. The Texas Rangers have numbers, tools, techniques, and their mission is far greater than that of the Connecticut State police.

HGN

Reaction Score
I guess the NCAA is going to wait until AFTER the Tournament to rule on the 2 biggest 'alledged' scandals (UNC and BU) of late.
Both programs stand to be slapped pretty hard if the stories are proven true I would think. But for the sake of WCBB I hope they are
found innocent.

Reaction Score
I can't resist. You cannot compare the Connecticut State Police to the Texas Rangers. The Connecticut State Police are significantly underfunded and under staffed and operate under significant constraints that tie one of their hands behind their backs. The whole attitude in Texas in support of the Police organizations is significantly different. The Texas Rangers have numbers, tools, techniques, and their mission is far greater than that of the Connecticut State police.
I like not living in a police state. Less is more when it comes to police. As long as crime is low in our little mostly suburban state, it's fine as is.

Reaction Score
I like not living in a police state. Less is more when it comes to police. As long as crime is low in our little mostly suburban state, it's fine as is.

Well, that is why choice is so good. I can live on my 5000 acre ranch in New Mexico, and have a second home outside of San Antonio, Texas so I can visit the San Antonio VA for medical and my son and his family who live in New Braunfels. And, you can live in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Well, that is why choice is so good. I can live on my 5000 acre ranch in New Mexico, and have a second home outside of San Antonio, Texas so I can visit the San Antonio VA for medical and my son and his family who live in New Braunfels. And, you can live in Connecticut.

Good to know you have a great living situation. Sounds beautiful. And nice that you can get excellent government healthcare and be near your son and family. Just FYI, Texas's rate of violent crime is nearly twice that of Connecticut. And while CT's violent crime rate is falling sharply, it's rising in Texas.

I think that the violent crime rate in Texas will rise further when the sexual assaults covered up by Baylor are added to the totals.

Table 4

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom