Baylor post game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Baylor post game thread

Reaction Score
I would have kept AG in the game to defend Smith . She was benched due to her inefficiency on the offensive end.
I think she was benched when she did the following on offense: She had a wide open three from the corner, and chose not to take it. Instead, she awaited a defender and drove around her into a hornets nest of 6'6" players from Baylor, and attempted to dish off ( or maybe throw up a prayer lay-up ) .....losing the possession in the process. She must be watching Molly too much. You can't tell me that she wasn't a dangerous three point shooter in HS.

Reaction Score
Geno may have to alter his coaching/recruiting strategies. He's relied on a complicated (but beautiful) passing game, with lots of cutting, transition baskets, etc. A very finesse game, and not dependent on size. But, the game is changing. Players are getting bigger and stronger & have a combination of size & skill that didnt exist 5 or 10 years ago. He just doesnt have the talent today to compete for a title in this new era. The middle & rim was completely owned by baylor last night. UConn would have had to shoot lights out to win. I dont even think Baylor played all that well last night, and still coasted to victory. Same pattern emerged in the last 3 FFs. UConn couldnt hold on to 4th quarter leads because of style of play.
I think it's a beautiful ideal to want to recruit nothing but the best players who fit the mold of whatever concept of basketball your program has adopted. That being said, we are losing the recruiting the battles, im my opinion, for bigs because he isn't showcasing the development of those kinds of players in his program. Stewie was not the prototypical post. Yes, Stef was, but she is the only one in the last 10 years that truly fit that mold and was exhibited as a cornerstone of the team that hit the floor every night. Kiah stokes stayed in his doghouse and never truly had a starting role or place in the offense that they highlighted. Morgan was an inside out PF, like Nalyssa Smith is to Baylor, so I'm not including her. You've gotta adjust for your weaknesses, he's not doing a good job of that. I'm sure we'll recover starting next year, but that will mostly be due to certain losing ppl to graduation and another year of development for ours. Aaliyah Edwards, Isuneh Brady, stretch 4s are indispensable in today's game, in every era of the game. Go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
My take - Baylor is a really good team and in my opinion will get better as Cox get back in game shape. Baylor is a difficult match for any team and if they hit from outside, as they did tonight, they are a potential national champion. UCONN is also a potential national championship team but they have to be on from outside. My favorite moments in this game were when CD‘s eyes lit up with determination, she really wanted this game and it showed! This was just one game and the season has a long way to go, calm down, UCONN IS NOT DONE YET!
I absolutely love this post!

Reaction Score
The game has changed these last few years. Finesse has given way to power. The players have become bigger and stronger and a small team, no matter how talented, is going to get out muscled in the last quarter when energy levels are lower. You either make them play your game or shoot lights out when you have a serious height disadvantage. We did neither. Until the height and power of the front line changes for us it is hard to see anything more than a Semis exit.
I agree that most likely UConn will not win the National Championship this year. But, you did point to a way in which they might. They would need to string together a series of games wherein they shot lights out. And the good news is that they actually got a lot of open looks last night and did not make shots that we are accustomed to seeing them make. (So if they make them)...

I think the game jut got too big for most of them. Short shots right from early on, a sign perhaps of tiredness later but probably of tightness from nerves initially. Some long shots from rushing shots.

Christyn, of all the Huskies, seemed to handle the big game the best: 21 points, 9 rebounds, but not the others. Yet when they are done running the gauntlet of the out of conference schedule, they will have learned a lot about their own character. We'll see if enough of them have the character of a winner to remain focused on the task at hand during the tournament and make it 12. Perhaps.

Reaction Score
That's about as much negative as I can say about someone who put up 27 points, 6 boards and 5 assists.
And if I remember correctly, Tea was invisible the first quarter.

Reaction Score
Ok, as a fan of this team,it is hard to see them lose.However,this is the time to learn and see the things that need adressing,the things that really need working on.This is the time that games like this need to happen,not in March.Baylor was far superior in this contest,and what we would hope is that our ladies use it as a learning tool,as a lesson for each of them to understand where they need to improve,as an individual and as a team.In my opinion,too many naysayers expect too much too soon.Adversity can lead to growth.We may lose 3 or 4 this year,but learning and success usually come from adversity.Let us give this team time to mature and grow,to except the challenges ahead as a tool to be ready for the end of the season.
Yeah, it's early still.

Reaction Score
I agree. Cox is great, but I think Ono was defeated by the challenge more than the defender. She put too much pressure on herself & the matchup, and came up way short. I hope it is a learning experience!
Some of this is on Geno. I would suspect by plan, ONO played off of Cox who responding with 3 pointers. When ONO stayed with Cox, she rarely scored.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Kyla played like her usual self with the exception that her shooting was missing. But I personally thought that she did her "normal" things fine. The lack of our offense made her play a lot more noticeable.
As far as your after the hammer dropped comments, I am not looking forward to the Oregon and SoCarolina games, especially when the latter game is in Carolina. But I am going to just try and relax and watch our other games.
With all due respect to one of my favorite Huskies, Kyla was not a factor on defense. Virtually ever Baylor player that backed her down in the paint scored easily.

Reaction Score
While I have taken grief for past posts that indicated UConn was not worthy of #1 ranking, I have less negative thoughts than many about this game. With the great teams that will make playoffs, would welcome another shot at Baylor. A few thoughts why:
-Don't see ONO ever having a game like this again. Predict that if the two teams play again, ONO will have at least 12-15 points and reduce Cox's 3's. UConn had advantage early in game until Geno took ONO out.
-Have watched several Baylor games this year and would be surprised to see them shoot this well again on 3's. Partly on Geno since he appeared to coach players to play off the ball.
-Doubt we will see Kyla in a position to get so abused by taller players shooting short turn arounds. Again, not totally Kyla's fault with the shot blocker, ONO, on bench.
-Layups, layups, layups - 3-5 wide open layups would have changed tone of game.
-Geno made several unusual substitutions at key moments I doubt he would make in playoffs.
Other than the last 5 minutes, this was an even game. A few more layups, ONO points, and fewer Cox 3 pointers and we would be celebrating a victory. Saying these teams are far apart is an overreaction.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For the past 2 seasons many posters here were screaming because Molly and Kyla were languishing on the bench except for garbage time. The posters were demanding that they be given the chance to play. But Geno knew what he was preparing them for and they knew their roles and accepted them. Oh, and by the way, I doubt that many other big time coaches would have even offered these ladies a scholarship. FF to this season, Kyla is doing exactly what Geno wants her to do and so is Molly. The thing about Molly's role is that she is backing up a senior PG who has the potential to possibly be an AA and her time is going to be limited. But Kyla started a bunch of games, did what was needed of her and added some scoring. But hold on now!!! Because we now have 2 Freshmen and a Graduate Senior (who has yet to show that she has a grasp of the offense or defense) on the bench, these same Keyboard Coaches are telling everyone here that these 3 should be getting more minutes or even starting and screw what Kyla, and to a lesser degree Molly, are doing for this team.
And wait until next season, who will you Keyboard Coaches want to put on the bench so that Evina and the Freshmen can get the playing time that you deem that they deserve. Head bang :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With all due respect to one of my favorite Huskies, Kyla was not a factor on defense. Virtually ever Baylor player that backed her down in the paint scored easily.
Uh, basically no one was a factor on defense, especially in the 4th quarter...

Reaction Score
I asked this on another thread, Coco: When was the last time two UConn starters went scoreless in the same game?

It has happened twice between 2000-01 and 2018-19.

vs Penn State in 2003-04 (boxscore). Maria Conlon 0-2 (31 MP) and Ann Strother 0-5 (31 MP)
vs Notre Dame in 2004-05 (boxscore). Ashley Valley 0-2 (9 MP) and Nicole Wolff 0-3 (26 MP)

During same time span there have been 24 instances (15 vs AP Ranked) of only 5 scorers but never of only 4 scorers.

1578698404880.png

Reaction Score
We got out shot in the Paint, Mid-Range, Three Point and Free Throw.

Surprised we took the same number of shot attempts in the paint as Baylor. They were successful in all 4 quarters in the Paint, not just the last quarter with Nelson-Ododa on the bench.

1578775372015.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We got out shot in the Paint, Mid-Range, Three Point and Free Throw.

Surprised we took the same number of shot attempts in the paint as Baylor. They were successful in all 4 quarters in the Paint, not just the last quarter with Nelson-Ododa on the bench.

View attachment 49833
Thanks for providing this data. UCONN shot 63% from the free throw line. That is hard to excuse. We are not even good at non contested shots.

Reaction Score
If Geno can coach this team to the Final Four it will be an accomplishment. How far the young players can advance their game is the key. I do not see how nailing Ono and AG to the bench helps that. The front court has to get better for this team to do well in the post season. Coach them up on the sidelines and put them back in. It was too easy for Baylor to get shots off in the 4th Q. Watching the game I wondered if CD would have done the same thing. Experience in a tight game vs Baylor is worth a lot more than time against Houston and the rest of the AAC.

Reaction Score
While I have taken grief for past posts that indicated UConn was not worthy of #1 ranking, I have less negative thoughts than many about this game. With the great teams that will make playoffs, would welcome another shot at Baylor. A few thoughts why:
-Don't see ONO ever having a game like this again. Predict that if the two teams play again, ONO will have at least 12-15 points and reduce Cox's 3's. UConn had advantage early in game until Geno took ONO out.
-Have watched several Baylor games this year and would be surprised to see them shoot this well again on 3's. Partly on Geno since he appeared to coach players to play off the ball.
-Doubt we will see Kyla in a position to get so abused by taller players shooting short turn arounds. Again, not totally Kyla's fault with the shot blocker, ONO, on bench.
-Layups, layups, layups - 3-5 wide open layups would have changed tone of game.
-Geno made several unusual substitutions at key moments I doubt he would make in playoffs.
Other than the last 5 minutes, this was an even game. A few more layups, ONO points, and fewer Cox 3 pointers and we would be celebrating a victory. Saying these teams are far apart is an overreaction.
Baylor don’t shoot much 3’s but don’t be fooled, we can shoot 3’s! We make 38 percent from 3’s which is 14th in the nation!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Baylor was cold from distance (1-8 I think) and shooting them more frequently than normal in Q1. UConn kept daring them to shoot 3's, and in Q2 they started dropping. Completely changed the complexion of the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Baylor game:
  • The game started out like two heavyweight fighters measuring each other while circling in the ring. In the end Baylor got the knockout in the 4th qtr.
  • There will be a lot of over analysis about this game. To me, it simply came down to Baylor’s interior size and strength. They were too much for UConn in the paint.
  • Christyn, Megan and Crystal all put up double figures, but UConn needed more from their supporting cast.
  • Keep the faith. Liv will have much better days. Today, Cox was a mismatch for her.
  • So much for home winning streaks. Time for the Huskies to start a new one.
Wow OD, it looks likes you have really started something. You have more than 12 thousand views in less than 24 hours for this thread, and 218 responses. It appears your "Thoughts on the ___________ game" has become very popular, and has become a must read post. It's the first thread I go to after every game. Your comments are always fair and impartial, and in my opinion, worth reading. Keep up the good work sir. :)

Reaction Score
Overall, UConn hadn't seen great defense like they faced tonight and was too impatient much of the game. Rushed shots (layups yikes, shot 12 for 43 on 2's (27.9%), and got out of their offense later in the game. Quote from Williams: "I thought our offense got a little bit stagnant. … I felt like we didn’t get the shots that we usually get.”

Dangerfield, Williams, and Walker scored 55 of the 58 points on 53 of UConn's 69 shots. The other 16 shots were taken by: Ono (0 for 8), Irwin (0 for 4), Griffin (0 for 2) and Makurat (1 for 2).

Makurat had 3 points on 1 for 2 from the field and could have had more. She was open a number of times but it looked as if Dangerfield and Williams have no confidence in her or maybe got caught up in playing "hero" ball. The announcer mentioned how well she's been shooting after starting the season poorly and if you look at the stats they should be getting her the ball more:
Firsts 3 games: 1 for 13 overall (7.7%) and 0 for 10 on 3's (0%)
Games 4 and 5: 4 for 13 overall (30.8%) and 2 for 9 on 3's (22.2%)
Last 8 games: 16 for 34 overall (47.1%) and 12 for 22 on 3's (54.5%)
I think those early games told team not to pass to Anna for a shot and Anna told herself to concentrate on passing. Setting her up for shots might be the thing that could improve offense.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It has happened twice between 2000-01 and 2018-19.

vs Penn State in 2003-04 (boxscore). Maria Conlon 0-2 (31 MP) and Ann Strother 0-5 (31 MP)
vs Notre Dame in 2004-05 (boxscore). Ashley Valley 0-2 (9 MP) and Nicole Wolff 0-3 (26 MP)

During same time span there have been 24 instances (15 vs AP Ranked) of only 5 scorers but never of only 4 scorers.

View attachment 49832
Amazing work, Mac. Thank you for the research and data.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's a beautiful ideal to want to recruit nothing but the best players who fit the mold of whatever concept of basketball your program has adopted. That being said, we are losing the recruiting the battles, im my opinion, for bigs because he isn't showcasing the development of those kinds of players in his program. Stewie was not the prototypical post. Yes, Stef was, but she is the only one in the last 10 years that truly fit that mold and was exhibited as a cornerstone of the team that hit the floor every night. Kiah stokes stayed in his doghouse and never truly had a starting role or place in the offense that they highlighted. Morgan was an inside out PF, like Nalyssa Smith is to Baylor, so I'm not including her. You've gotta adjust for your weaknesses, he's not doing a good job of that. I'm sure we'll recover starting next year, but that will mostly be due to certain losing ppl to graduation and another year of development for ours. Aaliyah Edwards, Isuneh Brady, stretch 4s are indispensable in today's game, in every era of the game. Go HUSKIES!
I guess the development of Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams as AA post players for UCONN does count either?

Reaction Score
I personally think that our lady huskies need to learn to use the backboard more to help make shots better. They miss many easy shots because of improper use of backboard. Baylor uses backboard effectively. Also I think that Liv needs to start developing a different variety of shots. I could see her doing a "hook" shot, rebounding & shooting without always coming down first. It seems that she also brings ball down toward stomach before shooting that makes it easy to block. After reviewing a 2nd time, we could have won game if we had not missed so many easy & open shots.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been tough on ONO this year but predict after this game she will learn she is truly 6'5". Being a bit facetious, but all she needed to do was turn around and in one motion shoot over Cox. Cox is good defender but has no "ups" and would not have been able to guard turnaround. Would have been good if Geno had taken ONO out early in game and done some coaching. Glad this happened to ONO early in season.

I know this was months ago but Lauren cox has hops
31BE1C53-5ACD-49FE-B796-FE452042416C.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom