Baylor loses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor loses

Reaction Score
No this is a just another part of the %#%#Ish show called 2020.

agreed...................I think it's going to be difficult for any team to be consistently great under the circumstances..............the top teams least effected by game cancellations with the best practice regimens and coaching should have a distinct advantage.......

Reaction Score
Egbo and Smith are a powerful inside presence, but Baylor doesn't have the best guards and wings to spread the floor and deliver the ball. They are 6-37 from 3 through 3 games, which isn't exactly a winning recipe.

For South Carolina, Boston is supposed to be their best player, but she can only be as effective as the players who deliver her the basketball. It looks like a similar situation for Smith at Baylor.

Both teams are very good, but have been exploited early in the season for poor shooting.

Reaction Score
Shocked at how Arkansas drove to the basket. Time. After time. After time.

How long would it have taken Coach Geno and UConn to adjust to their drives and take charges? About three minutes? Very surprised.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What was her third team? I thought she went to TCU and then transferred to Arkansas but I certainly could be wrong.
You're right. I meant 2nd team. Thanks namesake for the correction.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
How about Coach Neighbors and the ladies of Arkansas!! Coach working that same magic in Arkansas that he did with the Washington Huskies. One of the most underrated coaches in the game..IMHO. Huge win for that Arkansas program.
I totally agree with Neighbors being underrated.....He did more with less in the past...with more...he might be scary...lol...

Reaction Score
You're right. I meant 2nd team. Thanks namesake for the correction.
I was given that “Jordy” handle by a computer glitch on this site. My apologies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure he (Neighbors) would consider coming north, but he would be a great out of the box pick for the next UCONN head coach when Geno retires in 10 years! :p

I know people love to speculate who the next HC in waiting is, but given I expect Geno to be here at least 5 more years, I know for sure that by the time he's ready to retire, there will be other mid-major, or up and coming coaches who should be considered. NOT saying they will be hired, but considered for sure.

Getting back to the point of the thread, great job by Arkansas. Baylor clobbered them in the rebounding edge (not sure the exact numbers but it seemed like Arkansas could barely get a defensive rebound unless the ball fell into a players lap).

Much like SC, people sometimes seem to forget that when a team loses their PG, especially if that player was a senior and really good, it's hard to get chemistry the next season. Last year Baylor had Cooper and Landrum. Both graduated.

UCONN has the exact same situation. Will the PG's be Paige and Nika? Or will Geno use some other combo? I am confident we are better prepared than most to weather the departure of a star PG, but we will see soon enough!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I posted in your "poll" thread so I won't re-post here. We stunk it up pretty badly in Fayetteville.
I'm really stunned that between outstanding rebounders like Smith, Egbo, Carrington and Gusters for backup, Baylor wasn't able to punish a dreadfully weak rebounding team like Arkansas much more severely with second-chance points. Baylor totaled 13 O-boards all game; I would've thought they'd get that many each half.

Probably the worst performance by a Baylor team since they lost to Oklahoma State back, what, about 5-6 years ago?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Shocked at how Arkansas drove to the basket. Time. After time. After time.

How long would it have taken Coach Geno and UConn to adjust to their drives and take charges? About three minutes? Very surprised.
I have seen teams drive on UConn for an entire game. Check the ND guard, Jackie Young, who drove at will against UConn in the semi-final two seasons ago. She scored over thirty points, many on drives. That team was weak on defending the dribble drive. This season's team may be different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you saw the Richards injury play itself out in that game. If she is going to be the PG, you saw a team that is like 30 days behind in developing chemistry while she was out. Its like a double whammy with her being the new PG and out with injury. I don't count them out but I think it's going to be a grind for them for awhile when playing good competition. They don't play a lot of top competition so they should be fine for long stretches. As far as Andrews.... I thought they were really only successful when Didi was in charge. For me the weird thing was I thought Didi wasn't sure where to be on defense if she was the PG. Didn't look like they have a plan for Ursin to defend the opposing PG so Didi can match up with a bigger guard. Anyway, it warms my heart when Baylor, ND, and or SCar struggle.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think you saw the Richards injury play itself out in that game. If she is going to be the PG, you saw a team that is like 30 days behind in developing chemistry while she was out. Its like a double whammy with her being the new PG and out with injury. I don't count them out but I think it's going to be a grind for them for awhile when playing good competition. They don't play a lot of top competition so they should be fine for long stretches. As far as Andrews.... I thought they were really only successful when Didi was in charge. For me the weird thing was I thought Didi wasn't sure where to be on defense if she was the PG. Didn't look like they have a plan for Ursin to defend the opposing PG so Didi can match up with a bigger guard. Anyway, it warms my heart when Baylor, ND, and or SCar struggle.
What NO Tennessee?:eek:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was given that “Jordy” handle by a computer glitch on this site. My apologies.
Don't apologize. It's the best name on the forum.

Reaction Score
Not sure he (Neighbors) would consider coming north, but he would be a great out of the box pick for the next UCONN head coach when Geno retires in 10 years! :p

I know people love to speculate who the next HC in waiting is, but given I expect Geno to be here at least 5 more years, I know for sure that by the time he's ready to retire, there will be other mid-major, or up and coming coaches who should be considered. NOT saying they will be hired, but considered for sure.

Getting back to the point of the thread, great job by Arkansas. Baylor clobbered them in the rebounding edge (not sure the exact numbers but it seemed like Arkansas could barely get a defensive rebound unless the ball fell into a players lap).

Much like SC, people sometimes seem to forget that when a team loses their PG, especially if that player was a senior and really good, it's hard to get chemistry the next season. Last year Baylor had Cooper and Landrum. Both graduated.

UCONN has the exact same situation. Will the PG's be Paige and Nika? Or will Geno use some other combo? I am confident we are better prepared than most to weather the departure of a star PG, but we will see soon enough!!
I totally agree with you about the loss of Cooper and Landrum. Last year we tried to sag off of them and protect the middle since we were undersized and they killed us with 3's. With DiDi as the point, she does not offer the choice of shooting 3's to open the middle. On defense, Baylor did the opposite and tried to protect the 3 point line with man to man and found themselves open to the dribble drive. I think Baylor got totally outcoached because their game plan was totally not working and they did not change course. Our PG situation will be OK because of Paige and Nika. We need Paige also as a shooter. You can not sag off of her or Anna.

Reaction Score
Arkansas has watched and learned well the art of "throwing themselves" into the opposing players...did someone say 30-39 from the charity stripe? :rolleyes:
Regarding “throwing themselves” into opposing players, I was reviewing the coaching staff to see the connection to norte dame, er... my bad, that was “flopping”!

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is going to have trouble beating top ten teams this season. They just don't seem, to have the personal or balance to do so. Unless their players get hot ( this can happen even to poor shooting teams ) their defense is not strong enough to carry them through most games. Of course they will still do fine in their league because there is not much competition at the highest level.

I am also not a fan of Arkansas either. They will thrive against the right matchups, but I don't see them as being consistent enough to be threat to make it through the tourney. Too many teams that they do not match up well against. Unlike many oher teams they have played enough games so we can see what they are now. Because of their style and personal, they are capable of knocking off some better teams, but conversely that also makes them vulnerable to getting knocked of when faced with difficult matchups or their shots are not dropping. If their shots are not dropping they don't have the defense to counter that. Not every team will shoot as badly as Baylor.

Reaction Score

I know it probably wouldn't happen but I would love it if R. Lobo would some day join the coaching staff..maybe when Siobhan commits?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom