Baylor loses, but likely means nothing, | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor loses, but likely means nothing,

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I see a potential shift in Portland. If Stanford loses twice in a week, although both to the big O, can they stay on the 2 line. If they and UCLA fall off, can they be replaced by NC State and Gonzaga. If that's possible, Gonzaga gets the 2 in Portland, NC State in Greenville (DARND!) and UConn in Ft. Wayne. and If I'm right I want ESPN to pay me Charlie's money!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I see a potential shift in Portland. If Stanford loses twice in a week, although both to the big O, can they stay on the 2 line. If they and UCLA fall off, can they be replaced by NC State and Gonzaga. If that's possible, Gonzaga gets the 2 in Portland, NC State in Greenville (DARND!) and UConn in Ft. Wayne. and If I'm right I want ESPN to pay me Charlie's money!
Gonzaga has one RPI top 25 win and a Q3 loss. Stanford has 5 RPI top 25 wins (including over Gonzaga) as well as no losses below Q1. I can't see that happening even if Stanford gets blown out by 40 vs. the Ducks. NC State's resume is comparable to Gonzaga, but winning the ACC tournament probably tips them to a two seed.

ETA: That said, I could see the Zags as the three seed in Portland.

Reaction Score

The job could be yours but it all depends on what you do with Tennessee. :rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The job could be yours but it all depends on what you do with Tennessee. :rolleyes:
I've got Charlie's style down. Notice I said 3 ifs, 2 can they questions and 1 potential all in 3 chort sentences. With that style I can never be wrong.
I could probably do something with East Tenn State, they got 31 votes, but I couldn't find rocky top anywhere.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Speaking of UTenn : a couple more upsets and they might have their (potential) invitation
to the dance rescinded.
Wouldn't that be a shame?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Uh, there is no way Stanford falls off the 2 line. You can bet the house on it. They could lose by 80 today and it still won’t change.

Reaction Score
@Plebe do you have quick reference to previous seasons for teams with similar win-loss records vs Top 25 and Top 50 (Q1) as this year's UConn team?

I acknowledge performance of top teams will differ from year to year and seeding is based on performance relative to the other teams but I am interested to see what those similar team's seeding were? I am going to assume not a No. 1 seed and unlikely to be a No. 2 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what happens if UCONN loses? Could they move to a #3 and go somewhere other than Portland?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I'll go vegan for a year month week day if they give Gonzaga a #2 seed. The best team they beat all year is Missouri State.

Reaction Score
So what happens if UCONN loses? Could they move to a #3 and go somewhere other than Portland?
They would probably mover to a lower #2 seed, but still wind up in Portland. The committee seems to have the top teams locked in already. Just getting to the final guarantees that the top teams won't drop down a seed. Just ask Baylor!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They’ll be a 2 seed in the WNIT or a 15 seed on Pluto depending on who wins the MEAC tournament.

Leave the MEAC outta this... why yall always gotta bring up the MEAC

james evANS.gif

Diss the Big Sky or WAC....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Leave the MEAC outta this... why yall always gotta bring up the MEAC

View attachment 51749

Diss the Big Sky or WAC....

I thought about the Big Sky, but Kola Bad Bear is currently my favorite name in basketball and want to hear it on national TV for at least a game, so I don’t want to jinx Montana State with my snark. I have no vested interest in the MEAC. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought about the Big Sky, but Kola Bad Bear is currently my favorite name in basketball and want to hear it on national TV for at least a game, so I don’t want to jinx Montana State with my snark. I have no vested interest in the MEAC. :rolleyes:

I was thinking you were talking about a mascot, then I looked the name up... :p

Reaction Score
South Carolina lost to Indiana by 14, 71-57. Everybody played for SC. Yes, I realize Indiana is ranked.
The team that lost Indiana didn't return from St. Thomas. That was a LONG time ago for team filled with talented freshmen. You want to take the Hoosiers in that rematch tomorrow?

Reaction Score
I have to think Oregon completely throttling a potential 2 seed Stanford has moved them ahead of Baylor who just lost to unranked Iowa State?

My guess is we will go to 1. Dallas 2. Fort Wayne 3. Portland

Reaction Score
Or, alternatively, UConn could beat them.
Yes, UConn could beat the top three teams, but their odds would be considerably less than say a comparable team that unlike UConn would not start with a matchup disadvantage. As I stated in my post, matchups, and timing are two mitigating factors with respect to any team's odds of beating a better team. Timing factors such as catching the other team on an off day while they, in contrast, play their A-game, would certainly have more wiggle room if the teams match up favorably, to begin with.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'll go vegan for a year month week day if they give Gonzaga a #2 seed. The best team they beat all year is Missouri State.

I’m surprised you don’t think you can survive on Krispy Kremes for a full week. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
South Carolina was very beatable in November/December.

I'm not sure anyone is "unbeatable" this season.

I do think South Carolina is a much better team now than they were early on. But if you have an experienced team with a good zone defense and keep us off the offensive board and manage transition then you got a shot.

Reaction Score
I would have loved to know what Mulkey was saying to that ref after that foul call with virtually no time left on the clock.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Creme sound positively gleeful as he explains how the seeding rules force the Huskies to be placed all the way out in Portland and nothing can be done about it. What’s up with this guy? The whole thing just smacks of jumping on every possible excuse to make things as hard as possible for UConn. I think they are tired of UConn’s dominance. I’m looking forward to seeing their faces when the Final Four comes around and we are there! Boy, would I love to see that! However, they are going to have to deal with UConn for quite some time even if we don’t make it this year! Anyway, I just didn’t like the smug way he explained why we are going to Portland!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom