OT: - Baylor Is The Gift That Keeps On Giving... | The Boneyard

OT: Baylor Is The Gift That Keeps On Giving...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Honestly, what does a program have to do to get the Death Penalty?

So the NCAA hands out punishment for a coach attempting to hire a hooker for himself?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Honestly, what does a program have to do to get the Death Penalty?

SMU set the standard for qualifying for the death penalty. For those of you not up to speed on the particulars that caused SMU to get that death blow, here's the reader's digest version:

The Southern Methodist University football scandal (also known as Ponygate) was an incident in which the football program at Southern Methodist University was investigated and punished for massive violations of NCAA rules and regulations. The most serious violation was the maintenance of a slush fund used for "under the table" payments to players from the mid-1970s through 1986.

This culminated in the NCAA handing down the so-called "death penalty" by canceling SMU's entire 1987 schedule. SMU was allowed to return for an abbreviated 1988 season, but opted to sit that season out as well after school officials determined it would be impossible to field a viable team. The severity of the penalty left the SMU football program in ruin.

The Mustangs had only one winning season over the next 20 years and failed to make another bowl game until 2009. To date, it is one of the most severe penalties ever imposed on a Division I program, and the only time the NCAA has canceled a football-playing school's entire season at any level.

So I guess the question is, does the overall cumulative transgressions, school, conference and NCAA rule violations qualify Baylor for the death penalty? Was what SMU did as egregious as this? And if not, why?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So the NCAA hands out punishment for a coach attempting to hire a hooker for himself?
I apologize, you are correct. It's not as if this program has done anything previous to indicate a total and vile lack of moral or ethical standards. Nothing at all to indicate this behavior is systemic.

JordyG

Reaction Score
SMU set the standard for qualifying for the death penalty. For those of you not up to speed on the particulars that caused SMU to get that death blow, here's the reader's digest version:

The Southern Methodist University football scandal (also known as Ponygate) was an incident in which the football program at Southern Methodist University was investigated and punished for massive violations of NCAA rules and regulations. The most serious violation was the maintenance of a slush fund used for "under the table" payments to players from the mid-1970s through 1986.

This culminated in the NCAA handing down the so-called "death penalty" by canceling SMU's entire 1987 schedule. SMU was allowed to return for an abbreviated 1988 season, but opted to sit that season out as well after school officials determined it would be impossible to field a viable team. The severity of the penalty left the SMU football program in ruin.

The Mustangs had only one winning season over the next 20 years and failed to make another bowl game until 2009. To date, it is one of the most severe penalties ever imposed on a Division I program, and the only time the NCAA has canceled a football-playing school's entire season at any level.

So I guess the question is, does the overall cumulative transgressions, school, conference and NCAA rule violations qualify Baylor for the death penalty? Was what SMU did as egregious as this? And if not, why?
Preach C-man.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I apologize, you are correct. It's not as if this program has done anything previous to indicate a total and vile lack of moral or ethical standards. Nothing at all to indicate this behavior is systemic.

And not just (relatively) recently. I'd almost forgotten the Dennehy, Dotson, Bliss scandal from 2003:

COLLEGE BASKETBALL; Death and Deception

Reaction Score
I share Jordy's outrage and impulse. But Carnac correctly brings up SMU, and the NCAA came to the subsequent decision that the death penalty was far too destructive, no matter what the crime.

But did I take a little extra joy in watching Baylor lose last night? yeah....

JordyG

Reaction Score
And not just (relatively) recently. I'd almost forgotten the Dennehy, Dotson, Bliss scandal from 2003:

COLLEGE BASKETBALL; Death and Deception
Thanks you sir for reminding everyone of this tragic episode. Even though this event is 14 years old it seems a rotten tree continues to bear poisoned fruit.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I share Jordy's outrage and impulse. But Carnac correctly brings up SMU, and the NCAA came to the subsequent decision that the death penalty was far too destructive, no matter what the crime.

But did I take a little extra joy in watching Baylor lose last night? yeah.....
I think also the cost to the NCAA in publicity and the subsequent payouts through lawsuits and otherwise were part of their decision as in the Sandusky case.

Reaction Score

(Not) Coincidentally Eric Dickerson played for SMU 1979-1982.

BTW the University of San Francisco (3-time hoop national champions and alma mater of Bill Russell) did a self-imposed basketball death penalty from 1982-85. The University Pres said he'd had enough basketball scandals (mostly paying players, boosters providing cars and no-show jobs, etc) and threatened to close down the program if it didn't stop. It didn't stop and he followed through in the face of a major NCAA crackdown..

Reaction Score
You would have thought interfering with a police investigation to cover up a murder by a basketball player would be indication enough that there are some issues there. Guess one of the football players will have to actually nuke the city before anyone takes notice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No program will ever get the death penalty again.
Never say never friend. Nevertheless, if this case doesn't warrant it then they should just take that rule or even the suggestion of the rule out of the books.

Reaction Score
Never say never friend. Nevertheless, if this case doesn't warrant it then they should just take that rule or even the suggestion of the rule out of the books.

Read up on college sports. There is widespread opinion that the death penalty was so devastating to SMU that it will never ever be used again.

Still, the crippling effects the penalty had on SMU has reportedly made the NCAA reluctant to impose another one. Former University of Florida President John V. Lombardi, now president of the Louisiana State University System, said in 2002: "SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the nuclear bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one.”[21]

Reaction Score
From Baylor University's website:

"Amidst a sea of secular and parochial institutions of higher education, Baylor stands unique in its pursuits of scholastic excellence while holding firm to its Christian heritage..."

Yeah, right! Really showing us your "Christian heritage," ain't ya.

JordyG

Reaction Score

"Amidst a sea of secular and parochial institutions of higher education, Baylor stands unique in its pursuits of scholastic excellence while holding firm to its Christian heritage...."

Yeah, right! Really showing us your "Christian heritage," ain't ya.
I agree with everything up to the word "unique".

Reaction Score
I have lots of friends that are hookers( for the unenlightened that is a technical term for a certain rugby position)

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have lots of friends that are hookers( for the unenlightened that is a technical term for a certain rugby position)
"Hookers" is also a term formally used in pro wrestling denoting wrestlers that used technical moves such as heel locks, toe locks, knee bars etc.

Reaction Score

"Amidst a sea of secular and parochial institutions of higher education, Baylor stands unique in its pursuits of scholastic excellence while holding firm to its Christian heritage...."

Make the pursuits of scholastic excellence and held-firm Christian heritage great again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom