Baylor Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Baylor Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well. regardless of the non-call on that instance, the refs definitely over-reacted on the T, I agree. One instance of chippy play under the basket deserves more of a warning - I think the announcers were correct in this assessment. And the T came after the refs reviewed the tape. Unnecessary. The only thing I'll add is it was a dagger call, but not a game-changer, with the Huskies up by 10 at that moment. More insult to injury.

I agree. It would not have changed the outcome of the game. That was just a very good team beating another very good team.

Reaction Score
And next year we add Megan, Lexi, AZ, et al to the mix. Primed for another championship run.

I know-- I've seen The REAL DANGER from slu's posts and I knew she was tremdous in those- I didn't know when I would see her play super. But wow-- just think we've got a super pg and with everything that surrounds her- it makes her so much better -- and ofc the team is so dangerous.

Reaction Score
They were all smiles before the game. This is good!

upload_2016-11-17_22-8-19.png

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But what was the foul? Landing on someone is not a foul I don't think, so you have to have something more.

I have only only one call in the game that I think I disagree on. IMO, Williams came flying into the lane and landed on Davis. If that is not a foul it is a darn good defensive play to employ going forward.

Reaction Score
I don't know how they did it but a great defensive effort was put on Wallace who was raining threes in the first half. I think Jones hurt the game plan by taking over the game. The posts had their way in the paint after halftime. Then, that "advantage" went away. I will have to give Geno credit for a quick time out and the necessary adjustments.
ETT, I am perplexed by some of the strange calls at the end of the game. I thought the first half was called well, in fact, I had to really look hard for Dee Kantner.
I am sorry, GUNS Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Mulkey needs some fat in her cheeks.
Phew! I thought you were coming after me for gloating. Brown is another one that I was hoping we'd get; she's gonna be a really good one also. You guys are loaded. We just may run into each other again before the end of April. We'll be watching you. Tough loss.

Reaction Score
So thrilled to be 100% wrong again............first MW to UConn and now this win? A great team victory starring some different players tonight.............knew Danger would be an offensive force at some point.............didn't think it would be so soon in such a big game................Napheesa and Gabby battled those big girls almost even and give some credit to Ms Butler who injected some defensive presence and a few timely baskets too...............there is something to say for having to battle for your wins.............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - that T at the end was a bad call. Kia sold it, and the ref was a little unsighted by her body and just saw contact and her head go flying and called a foul. I think if it were allowed by rules, they would have overturned the foul call, but they cannot. So once the foul is called on a dead ball it has to be classed a T. Unfortunate, but luckily the game had been decided by the time that happened. I am headed back to watch the whole game again, but I am sure there were some questionable calls on both sides. I'll take you word for now re the Gabby foul until I watch it again. But in general I think the refs were much better than in our first game which was a foul fest with lots of phantom and ticky-tack calls that had an effect on both teams. This game had better flow and while there was a foul-out and some bench minutes because of fouls, I don't think either team can be aggrieved.

Great win by Uconn.

Baylor is missing Johnson - she might not have been enough of a scoring threat, but she got the team on the right page almost all the time and distributed the ball beautifully. Baylor has the pieces to be a strong team, but they too are in transition and need to figure some things out. Amazing to me that the combination of Davis, Brown, Montpremier, Cave, and Cox combined for ONLY 18 points on 6-17 shooting. That is supposed to be the strength of this team and they were ineffective against a height challenged Uconn. Has Davis ever been shut out in a game before?

Reaction Score
They didn't call a foul when Williams flew in and landed right on top of Davis yet the called a technical when Prince barely pushed Nurse's hand off of her. Sometimes you just have to scratch your head.

The Nurse call was bad but Williams and Davis were both going for a rebound, got tangled up, and landed awkwardly. I didn't think it was a foul at all.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents.

I think Uconn takes too many jump shots(in both games), vs past years. However, as the new players get adjusted to each other and the system that will change.
I am not sure if a screen has been set for Lou to take a 3 point shot, in either game.
Ms. Dangerfield certainly has no fear to do anything on the court, I love her already.

Reaction Score
UConn's defensive trademark is to take the opponent's best player out of the game and make the other players beat them.
Spot on : it is our trademark. Thanks for pointing this out. For years the networks have focused on our frequently splendiferous offense (and ain't it grand ?), but watching Connecticut defense, especially vs. individual star players, is like watching piranhas on a roast. Now, where did I here that ?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Boy was I ever wrong...on the way up to Gampel I told TonyC that UConn would lose by nine...of course, you all know Tony's response...he says, "no way, UConn will win by double digits"...son of a gun if he wasn't right! Now, don't get me wrong I really am happy to have erred on this one. Geno has to be one happy coach after seeing performances by Dangerfield and Butler. What a pleasant surprise those two provided this evening. I don't think Baylor expected to see an "L" after this game. I half thought when Mulkey went across to greet Geno just before the game started and she embraced him and whispered in his ear that her comment went something like this, "I got you this time Geno"... Napheesa and Samuelson played strong games...whoever locked down Nina Davis deserves some kudos because she was technically non-existent. What a great win!!! Impressive! This game ranks up there as one of the best games because most people thought UConn would lose this game... I think we are in for a very exciting season.

Reaction Score
And didn't Cool Papa Bell complain to management at contract time that he wanted Ole Satch prohibited from eating soda crackers in the bed they shared ?

Sorry to send this thread way OT...but creative posters will soon bail us out !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom