Baylor (4) @ South Carolina () - 12/2/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor (4) @ South Carolina () - 12/2/18

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Baylor today. Baylor did whatever they wanted today, and they have some solid athletes on their team. If Baylor's guards can continue to make their open shots, Baylor looks like a legit Final 4 Team this year. Now having said that, I really am looking forward to seeing if Baylor can handle UCONN's defense. Should make for a very entertaining game.

Reaction Score
That kind of worries me that Oregon St. barely beat S. Carolina.
nwhoopfan, I'm not as worried about OSU's 2 point victory over South Carolina. Remember, OSU's issues have been closing out games, and they will get better in their execution at end of games. OSU was up by 16 or so points with 4 minutes to go vs South Carolina. I know Rueck will get this straightened out by the time the playoffs roll around.

Reaction Score
You can say that again, but why would she chose them knowing she may never touch the ball. Wilson had other bigs to play with.
I don’t know, I don’t want to discredit dawn, but I don’t think she has the ability to coach or develop. I think she has the ability to recruit and make players want to come to South Carolina because of her pedigree. I think she won the championship the year she did based on talent and not coaching and of course UConn’s loss to Miss St. - A’Ja was going to be the player she is any way, that had nothing to do with Dawn’s coaching.
Same goes for Aston at Texas, I can assure you Charli Collier would be utilized much better right now. Did you see how well Ariel Atkins flourished once she was out of that system?

Reaction Score
Well let me start by saying good job to Baylor. They played great and we didn’t it’s that simple. If UCONN doesn’t beat them no one will until the tournament. Brown and Cox are as advertised and Jackson and Landrum were impressive. I hope Mulkey continues schedule SC. It would’ve been a better matchup when we had A’ja down low but it would make good future matchups with her #1 Class versus ours.

Of course as a fan I’m disappointed in the outcome but I’m not upset about the effort. They played hard and that’s all I can ask for. 4 starters were in double figures just have to defend much better and continue to find niche. No one certainly can’t blame Dawn for her scheduling. No one has played more top 10 teams than to this point SC! Dawn could have took the easier way out and loaded up on cupcakes like most teams this year! But she isn’t like that, she knew it would be tough and she wanted to test her young squad for the future. For the fans who love to drag her when she’s down, have the same energy when she’s up! I see Miss St, Louisville, fans from the PAC etc., with ALOT to say when SC isn’t good at the moment. Let’s see how you do when your team lose your superstars Durr, McCowan, and the other stars for other teams will leave the same hole that A’ja has left in SC. Remember this thread next year!

As to SC, I bleed garnet and black and I have Dawn’s back. We are now in the past of our schedule that will determine how the rest of the season will go. Purdue and Duke will be tough but I think the game up to this point has prepared us enough to compete and win. The freshman next year will help a lot with the current issues such as rebounding, shooting and shot making ability. To put it simple SC doesn’t have the talent like most other teams right now! Looking at top rosters All of ND starters were McDAA same with UCONN (3 #1 recruits) and Baylor sans Jackson who was probably under ranked. I don’t care how good of a coach you are, you have to have talent plain and simple! SC will be fine and I’ll be on this train through the Downs (this year) and the Ups (the future)!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Baylor today. Baylor did whatever they wanted today, and they have some solid athletes on their team. If Baylor's guards can continue to make their open shots, Baylor looks like a legit Final 4 Team this year. Now having said that, I really am looking forward to seeing if Baylor can handle UCONN's defense. Should make for a very entertaining game.
I'd be more interested to see if Baylor can handle UConn in transition and how they deal with UConn's half court spacing, precision and toughness.

Reaction Score
I’m not totally sold on Beal or Cooke, so their 2019 class will be interesting. I think Amihere Boston will be a tough duo.

I may be biased but I think Beal is underrated and Cooke proved herself to me on the international stage. Both will be big keys to SCs future with their shot making ability from the perimeter.

I agree on Boston and Amihere. They could be better duo than Wilson and Coates when it’s all said and done.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Tough to see Doug Bruno and Kim Mulkey in pain from spinal problems. Clearly affecting Kim's dramatic moves on the sidelines.

I kept asking her to throw her jacket, but nothing.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
South Carolina is not a good team. They have some good individual players but they are not a good team. This will be a long season if these things continue.

They need some average competition to get used to playing together. I see a lack of confidence right now.

Reaction Score
Agree SC looks terrible but anyone who think they will be elite next because of their recruits is forgetting relying on freshmen is risky. Boston’s level of competition next likely challenge her, I believe you have to have returning elite players to be elite.

Boston isn’t our only recruit coming in. We have 3 others who are elite at their position and will contribute. Of course as State fan you would try to sell her short but in the same breath give praise to your players.

Are you saying Miss st won’t be elite next year after losing McCowan and her counterparts?

Reaction Score
Boston isn’t our only recruit coming in. We have 3 others who are elite at their position and will contribute.

With Cooper & Harris, SC is more established at G for next year. Less competition on the front line.

Reaction Score
Probably start
Cooper (Sr)
Harris (Sr)
Herbert-Harrigan (Sr)
Boston (Fr)

with Cooke (Fr), Beal (Fr), Jackson (Jr), Grissett (Jr) ?

From my perspective, LeLe Grissett over Herbert-Harrigan all day long.

Reaction Score
With Cooper & Harris, SC is more established at G for next year. Less competition on the front line.

Yeah, I don't see the class coming in like the Fab Four and starting together.

I think Boston starts. Amihere and Cooke come off the bench. Beal may have a shot to start, but I haven't really seen a lot of her to have a sense. But a spot on the wing is up for grabs.

I'm not sure whether Cooper is the talent surrounded by drab or if she's just a high usage scorer that doesn't really fit well with the other pieces.

I've been super disappointed in Ty harris this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that Baylor played within their system on both offense and defense. While Megan Walker did a wonderful job guarding Turner during the ND game, nervous how she will go against another 4 inches and 30-40+.

Reaction Score
Yes, that’s why she was chosen to be coach of the US Olympic National team :rolleyes:
I don’t know, I don’t want to discredit dawn, but I don’t think she has the ability to coach or develop. I think she has the ability to recruit and make players want to come to South Carolina because of her pedigree. I think she won the championship the year she did based on talent and not coaching and of course UConn’s loss to Miss St. - A’Ja was going to be the player she is any way, that had nothing to do with Dawn’s coaching.
Same goes for Aston at Texas, I can assure you Charli Collier would be utilized much better right now. Did you see how well Ariel Atkins flourished once she was out of that system?
She doesn't but you're not allowed to point that out. Around here she's the Teflon coach. Stagnant offense with no flow, bad passing, and no spacing. Non existent help defense or wing pressure. These are not her responsibilities so don't blame her.

Reaction Score
She doesn't but you're not allowed to point that out. Around here she's the Teflon coach. Stagnant offense with no flow, bad passing, and no spacing. Non existent help defense or wing pressure. These are not her responsibilities so don't blame her.

Staley has had tried very hard to land most of the great offensive players in the country in recent years and has mostly fallen short.

When she can't get the elite, multi-tooled players that have gone to other elite programs she's defaulted to athletic players who can drive and defend over shooters pretty much every time.

Maybe that's a bad choice, but it took her from the basement of the SEC to the National Title so I can't say it was all bad.

I'd happily watch if Muffett or Geno would like to trade rosters with her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Staley has had tried very hard to land most of the great offensive players in the country in recent years and has mostly fallen short.

When she can't get the elite, multi-tooled players that have gone to other elite programs she's defaulted to athletic players who can drive and defender over shooters pretty much every time.

Maybe that's a bad choice, but it took her from the basement of the SEC to the National Title so I can't say it was all bad.

I'd happily watch if Muffett or Geno would like to trade rosters with her.
Wouldn’t trade rosters, but I’m almost 100% sure both could do a better job

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t trade rosters, but I’m almost 100% sure both could do a better job

Thats fine. Maybe they could. We'll likely never know because they won't ever been in the position.

My question for Staley's program is whether this recruiting class reflects a breakthrough or if it is going to be an outlier.

When we get to the place where the perimeter players are all coming in with shooting ability, then I'll start to worry about bad spacing. You can't control how the defense plays you unless you can make the shots. that's ultimately a function of recruiting players that can shoot.

Reaction Score
Thats fine. Maybe they could. We'll likely never know because they won't ever been in the position.

My question for Staley's program is whether this recruiting class reflects a breakthrough or if it is going to be an outlier.

When we get to the place where the perimeter players are all coming in with shooting ability, then I'll start to worry about bad spacing. You can't control how the defense plays you unless you can make the shots. that's ultimately a function of recruiting players that can shoot.
It’s really a down year for y’all because you don’t have a dominant post player when that has always been your identity so now you really have to coach. In the past years, they have always had post players and penetrating guards that could make up for the streaky or mediocre shooting. I’m sorry, but I just have never seen a flow within her offense. Even the year they won, it was just throw it in to Wilson and let her make a play and she did. They also had Gray and Davis who could make plays. That was Ty Harris best season, haven’t seen much from her since.

Hopefully these players coming in can really shoot and it will keep the defense honest instead of playing sagging defense. This will alllow her to come up with an offense that fires on all cylinders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom