Baylor’s search | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor’s search

Reaction Score
But who? Indeed.

A Baylor fan listed all those who have proven ability to get to a Final Four, and most of them are not moving to Hueco/Waco.

"There are only 6 active coaches who have won a Natty: Geno, Tara, Kim, Dawn, Gary Blair and Brenda Frese

There are only 5 other active coaches who have made a title game and lost: C. Vivian Stringer, Jeff Walz, Quinton Hillsman, Vic Schaefer and Adia Barnes (Gail G did, but she's an assistant at CMU now).

And there are only 3 other active head coaches who have even made a Final Four: Kelly Graves, Scott Rueck and Mike Neighbors.

So there's your list of elite coaches."
Coach Q made a final 4 including the final game

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But who? Indeed.

A Baylor fan listed all those who have proven ability to get to a Final Four, and most of them are not moving to Hueco/Waco.

"There are only 6 active coaches who have won a Natty: Geno, Tara, Kim, Dawn, Gary Blair and Brenda Frese

There are only 5 other active coaches who have made a title game and lost: C. Vivian Stringer, Jeff Walz, Quinton Hillsman, Vic Schaefer and Adia Barnes (Gail G did, but she's an assistant at CMU now).

And there are only 3 other active head coaches who have even made a Final Four: Kelly Graves, Scott Rueck and Mike Neighbors.

Of all those listed Hillsman is probably the most available :rolleyes:. I would guess GG would jump :eek:. And the best who might be tempted is probably Rueck but still unlikely.

Maybe they need to widen it to look at S16 coaches - elite 8 coaches probably doesn't increase the pool all that much. Or maybe look at the mid major round of 32 coaches.

People forget that Scott Rueck was plucked from a D3 Christian school and has proven to have been a good hire directly into a P5 HC position.

Reaction Score
hire Pokey Chatman
photo2.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe Wes Moore will consider taking the job, but Baylor is a rebuilding.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
By the way, according to the local paper today, Adia is not ruling out going elsewhere for better funds. But it appears that this year, all things considered, is just not the right timing.

Her new salary is in the mid $500,000 range going up to the $700,000 area over 5 years. The comparison made was to what Arizona paid to dump Sumlin and Miller and hire the new guys.

While I get that Women's coaches generally make less than men - and Adia is still young - it becomes the idea "how much do you want to keep someone". Miller, RichRod and the AD at the time - Greg Byrne, now at Alabama - all got a separate retention benefit from a stock fund set up for them. And now they are all gone.

Reaction Score
But who? Indeed.

Kristy Curry was in the Final Four in 2001

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to watch this unfold. Tennesse was the first marquee program from this past era to have a coaching change, and they have definitely faded from powerhouse status. I’d assume something similar will happen at Baylor. A program is as much about the coach as it is about the program history. The coach is one of the most important aspects recruits evaluate when making their decisions. This will be another glimpse into what may happen to Uconn when Geno retires.

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to watch this unfold. Tennesse was the first marquee program from this past era to have a coaching change, and they have definitely faded from powerhouse status. I’d assume something similar will happen at Baylor. A program is as much about the coach as it is about the program history. The coach is one of the most important aspects recruits evaluate when making their decisions. This will be another glimpse into what may happen to Uconn when Geno retires.
According to her bio Baylor had not gone to the NCAA Tournament prior to her arrival. While it is certainly a marquee program now it was as much Coach Mulkey as it was the Baylor program. I’m trying to think of a women’s basketball program that maintained or gained through such coaching transitions. I’m sure I’m missing some but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
According to her bio Baylor had not gone to the NCAA Tournament prior to her arrival. While it is certainly a marquee program now it was as much Coach Mulkey as it was the Baylor program. I’m trying to think of a women’s basketball program that maintained or gained through such coaching transitions. I’m sure I’m missing some but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.
WCBB is still young enough that there have been few major transitions.
The only program I can think of with continued success was Purdue in the 90s which went from Lin Dunn to Nell Fortner to C Peck to Kristi Curry.

And Wes Moore has gotten NC St back to where Kay Yow had it.

Reaction Score
It comes down to them putting a premium on winning or do they choose someone bland, inoffensive and more likely to make the crusty, deep water backers happy?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Uh...pretty mediocre results w/ DT and Griner. If I was a Baylor fan I'd take a hard pass on her. She had one really good year w/ Phoenix. Other than that I'd say underachieving on a fairly large scale.
One WNBA final appearance in 8 years (5 years of having both healthy) is quite mediocre. I wouldn't touch Brondello with a ten foot pole. Not to mention we saw how well White's WNBA coaching experience translated to the collegiate game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The only program I can think of with continued success was Purdue in the 90s which went from Lin Dunn to Nell Fortner to C Peck to Kristi Curry.

LSU from Gunter to Chatman.

I think Baylor will be fine next year. They have a solid core returning and the odds of Egbo/Smith/Bickle leaving are low since it's quite rare for a player to transfer after her junior season unless she grad transfers. Curious to see if all of the transfers and Dauda re-enter the portal or decide to stay put at Baylor.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Yeah, that's a really interesting subject. In men's hoops some schools like North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky have been very successful across different eras w/ different coaches (all have had ebbs as well). Will we eventually see that in women's hoops? The one I'm really interested in is Stanford. Tara is Stanford pretty much, but when she does eventually leave, the school may continue to be just as attractive for the reasons it is currently. While it's a bit of apples and oranges, Stanford volleyball has won Championships under 3 different coaches (all 3 have won multiple Titles there), so it appears it is definitely the school and not just the coach.

Reaction Score
Maybe Ohio state.

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw might come out of retirement?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 94
Reaction Score
Amaka Agugua-Hamilton

(never mind, I'll say Wes Moore because he's from Texas). They'd want someone who won't leave.
What coach out there comes from Waco...that want's to go home? :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think another reason Sandy Brondello is not leaving Phoenix is that she's the Coach of the Australian Opals, the women's national team of that country. She's got a little bit of a tournament coming up this year, no? :rolleyes:

Plus, remember who her star center with the Mercury is: Britany Griner. 'Nuff said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom