Battle for Atlantis Tournament -- November 19-21 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Battle for Atlantis Tournament -- November 19-21

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hope I dont jinx this but those South Dakota St Jackrabits....

:eek:
1669075365269.gif

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow. South Dakota State!

Myah Selland was fantastic: 25 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals.

Van Lith had 26 but didn't get much scoring help.

SDSU coughed up 20 turnovers but won the battle on the boards.

Reaction Score
With all the November surprises, which coaches are going to get their teams (and fans) out of the dumper and turn them into a legitimate playoff team come March?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all the November surprises, which coaches are going to get their teams (and fans) out of the dumper and turn them into a legitimate playoff team come March?
Geno said yesterday that it’s no longer a few excellent teams and a lot of mediocre teams. Nowadays, per Geno, the top teams are less dominant and there are a lot of very good teams that are capable of pulling off an upset. He said the women’s game is starting to look like the men’s in that regards.

My impression is that there are more really good players than there used to be and they going to schools other than UConn, Stanford, ND, North Carolina, etc. Coaching has also improved over the years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Team records at B4A:

UCLA: 3-0
Marquette: 2-1
Gonzaga: 2-1
South Dakota State: 2-1
Tennessee: 1-2
Louisville: 1-2
Texas: 1-2 (assuming a win over Rutgers, daring as that may be)
Rutgers: 0-3

so-called "power 5" teams: 6-9 (.400)
non-"power 5" teams: 6-3 (.667)

The preseason AP #3, #5 and #7 teams went 3-6.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno said yesterday that it’s no longer a few excellent teams and a lot of mediocre teams. Nowadays, per Geno, the top teams are less dominant and there are a lot of very good teams that are capable of pulling off an upset. He said the women’s game is starting to look like the men’s in that regards.

My impression is that there are more really good players than there used to be and they going to schools other than UConn, Stanford, ND, North Carolina, etc. Coaching has also improved over the years.
I'm here for more parity, especially if it helps improve play and competition.

If this pace keeps up, the NCAA tournament brackets are all going to say "pick 'em". :confused::D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hope that this is not a repeat post. It is kinda interesting that in Tennessee's loss to Gonzaga, the Lady Vols scored 18 points every quarter :eek: .

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas would seem the most likely candidate, since they will instantly be a better team once Harmon comes back.

Not sure what Louisville's and Tennessee's excuses are, but it's a long season and a lot can happen in four months.

Reaction Score

I have been predicting this for years now. Why, because if you follow high school BB it would become obvious. Almost every high school player on a decent team is playing year round and most have individual trainers who work with them on their skills. This is quite different than it used to be not that long ago when only a few players had tghat advantage toing ro them before the came into a college program. There is less development left in college. As Gemo sasid a few years ago players now days know how, they just don't know when. There is very little upside left to develop, reaher what they need ot learn is how to integrate tehir individual skill levels int a team concept.

The coacing has also improved. In the past ther were only a hand full of really good coaches with top players at theri disposal. Now there are a lot of good coaches with many good players available to them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why didn’t kellie advance the ball during the time out?? Weird.
She couldn't. To advance the ball the timeout has to be called immediately after grabbing the rebound. The Tennessee player (Franklin) grabbed the rebound and tried to make a pass to Powell (deflected out of bounds) before the timeout was called.

Reaction Score
She couldn't. To advance the ball the timeout has to be called immediately after grabbing the rebound. The Tennessee player (Franklin) grabbed the rebound and tried to make a pass to Powell (deflected out of bounds) before the timeout was called.
Thanks. I didn’t know that.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I guess my post was basically about LSU having a clear path to run the table in SEC and get a winner/take all.

Not sure who else really could. Maybe Tennessee I guess if they get it together.

I think the more tough matchups the better.
That's possible. What a fun game that would be.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Team records at B4A:

UCLA: 3-0
Marquette: 2-1
Gonzaga: 2-1
South Dakota State: 2-1
Tennessee: 1-2
Louisville: 1-2
Texas: 1-2 (assuming a win over Rutgers, daring as that may be)
Rutgers: 0-3

so-called "power 5" teams: 6-9 (.400)
non-"power 5" teams: 6-3 (.667)

The preseason AP #3, #5 and #7 teams went 3-6.

Interesting to see this in print!

A few points from my perspective.

Texas will be ok once Harmon returns. Gonzalez and Morris can play point in a pinch, but I think Texas entire preseason was with Harmon running the team and they just had trouble going without her. Gonzalez can play the point, but she is at a new school and a new system. By the end of the season Texas will right their ship and should be pretty darn good. Their post play is great. Amina Muhammed was something else to watch. Uber athletic and Taylor Jones is a good fit for them.

Louisville will be fine too. If you watched Louisville's games their defense had moments of real intensity where teams couldn't do anything with the ball. As the season progresses, they will get the offense as it usually comes later for teams. They have to figure out who their scorers are going to be besides Hailey Van Lith. Morgan Jones is an athlete, but she does disappear at times which she did at FSU. She just has to be her best all the time and I don't think she has figured that out yet.

Tennessee needs a shakeup in their starting lineup IMO. I would start Powell/Walker/Jackson/Horston/Franklin. That lineup looked more in sync on the floor in the game against Gonzaga. Horston needs to be on the wing or in the paint. She is a 6'2 guard that can post up and jump out of the gym. Use that. I think things go awry when she is racing up the floor with the ball. Leave that to Powell or Walker and sprint to the block or the wing. To my naked eye Franklin gives the best post energy. She is active on the glass and moves well in the paint. I honestly forgot Key was in the games a few times or thought she should be on the bench. Striplin gave more with her minutes honestly. I think the Vols just need to regroup and figure things out with all those players and transfers. Can they, do it? I think so? We may very well be talking about them in the NCAA tourney. They have the horses. Can they line up and pull the wagon together? That remains to be seen. I would also like to add I did notice when the horn sounded against Gonzaga Jackson marched straight back to the locker room and didn't even go through the handshake line that I could see on the broadcast. She is an interesting player. Gifted offensively but.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom