Batouly and the Guinea National Team | The Boneyard

Batouly and the Guinea National Team

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
IS BATOULY FINALLY READY TO GO?!

She’s in Cape Verde right now playing with the Guinean national team. In today’s game against Cape Verde, she played all 40 minutes, scored 22 points, pulled down 11 rebounds, and blocked five shots. :eek:

Spoiler Alert: Guinea wins 50-48

In the game preview, she said, “And after talking to UConn coaching staff, they encouraged her to embrace the opportunity. "I am really excited to be in this position," she said.”

If you want to watch the Batouly we’ve all been eagerly waiting for, she’s number 8.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I guess this addresses our concerns about her knees. I’m more at a loss why she didn’t play more this past season.

Unless she was on the Auriemma Medical Redshirt last year...

I could easily see the staff being over-cautious after her MCL sprain to increase the likelihood of a 100% BC for 2019-2020 rather than an 80% version that could easily hurt herself more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know what it means relative to how much we’ll see Batouly on the court next season, but I’m really happy for her. She finally got to not only play most of the game, but it appears that she lead Guinea to the win.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don’t know what it means relative to how much we’ll see Batouly on the court next season, but I’m really happy for her. She finally got to not only play most of the game, but it appears that she lead Guinea to the win.

But I just want her to come kick ass, take names, and prove all of the Negative Nancies wrong. Is that so much to ask?!

Reaction Score
This is a two game qualifier with the scores combined from both games to determine who automatically qualifies for the Africa-wide tournament. If Cape Verde wins by 2, they will immediately play overtime after the next game.

The next game can be seen here at 3pm ET on Sunday:

Some of Batouly's teammates play professionally in France. As some of you may know, there is a Cape Verdean population in the United States so some of their players are American:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SO happy for her. And how wonderful to hear the UCONN staff was encouraging her to take advantage of the situation. I'd LOVE it if she could give us that kind of healthy effort this coming season! Strong post players in ONO, Adebayo and Camara!!!!

Reaction Score
IS BATOULY FINALLY READY TO GO?!

She’s in Cape Verde right now playing with the Guinean national team. In today’s game against Cape Verde, she played all 40 minutes, scored 22 points, pulled down 11 rebounds, and blocked five shots. :eek:

Spoiler Alert: Guinea wins 50-48

In the game preview, she said, “And after talking to UConn coaching staff, they encouraged her to embrace the opportunity. "I am really excited to be in this position," she said.”

If you want to watch the Batouly we’ve all been eagerly waiting for, she’s number 8.

I could not think of better news in the last 2 years. Touly playing 40 minutes scoring 22 points.
I know Coach Rick is reading this and thinking: I told you SO!

Reaction Score
Her play here and in up coming games overseas can only light a fire in Batouly to keep the improvement going! I knew she had it in her if she were healthy!
Coach @RSHERMVIKES --I'd expect you to be saying: I told you so! You've been beating the Batouly drums for 2 plus years, this has to be great news to a coach of your knowledge. How to go guy!!

Reaction Score
For those that haven't watched the game yet, the first shot Batouly knocks down is an open 3 from the top of the key. I wonder if Geno will ever let her take a 3?
I don't often go against your judgement, it is usually so accurate. IMO, only, I believe if she proves she can knock down 3's regularly he will gladly accept it (obviously) within the flow of he game. Nice to learn she got 11 Rb's and 22pts. How to go Touly. I have doubted we'd ever see this day I'm more than happy to have been terribly wrong.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess giving Touley time to recuperate during the season has paid off. This opportunity with the Guinea team is a great way to get back in game shape. I hope to see a lot of this type of play in the coming season

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen the box score - specifically how many fouls she picked up? I searched a bit and did not see it.

I've been excited about her since her transfer, then saddened by her apparent fragility.

My question has been how foul prone she is? I watched her this year & last but small sample size and mixed results.

I love ONO's potential and think her foul-prone game can be resolved with coaching and technique adjustments. One of UConn's strengths has been good defense w/o fouling & when games are tightly called like the playoff against Buffalo our VERY short bench couldn't help.

Geno's style is not to use players who foul - save ONO - & I wonder if that is a contributing variable to BC's limited playing time and/or may limit her 2019-20 potential contribution?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's style is not to use players who foul - save ONO - & I wonder if that is a contributing variable to BC's limited playing time and/or may limit her 2019-20 potential contribution?

Gotta say Batouly's 40 minute game has me wondering along those lines too. I mean, is there some couple of things that bug Geno about Batouly's game of which we are unaware? Hopefully she remains durable and we'll see what the fall brings.

Reaction Score
Coach @RSHERMVIKES --I'd expect you to be saying: I told you so! You've been beating the Batouly drums for 2 plus years, this has to be great news to a coach of your knowledge. How to go guy!!

Thanks Bellemare! Yes you're a 100% right I enjoyed watching Batouly play so well for Guinea! I don't like to razzzz anyone like, "I told you so," as I don't like to be attacked myself! As a coach I learned early on you don't give opponents ammunition to fire back at you!
I don't go after Red Sox fans as a die-hard NY Yankee fan as I would look foolish if the Yankees go on a major tail-spin! I don't like the Red Sox but I do give them their do!
Thanks again!

Reaction Score
If she can maintain her health, she could be the big we all keep talking we need....I would have liked to see her down low more in that game and her teammates dump the ball to her. She was screening and doing jump shooting on the perimeter. I'm just being picky. I think this is a great opportunity for her to get in game experience again in preparation for the fall. I wonder if they did decide to largely shut her down this past season to just let the body fully heal.

Reaction Score
If she can maintain her health, she could be the big we all keep talking we need....I would have liked to see her down low more in that game and her teammates dump the ball to her. She was screening and doing jump shooting on the perimeter. I'm just being picky. I think this is a great opportunity for her to get in game experience again in preparation for the fall. I wonder if they did decide to largely shut her down this past season to just let the body fully heal.
Picky, and unrealistic. Touly's teammates lack the skill to dump it down low effectively. Plus the team was not together long enough to perfect entry angles and timing.

Reaction Score
Everyone assumes she didn’t play bc of medical. Maybe, as we’ve seen with other players, she wasn’t doing what was asked in practice?

In any event glad to see her playing well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom