Basketball TV visibility will go down in Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Basketball TV visibility will go down in Big East

Reaction Score
No matter if you like or dislike the move to the Big East, one thing is true: ESPN is the king of college basketball. With the Big East media rights outside off the ESPN universe, we should expect to see less coverage of UConn basketball on ESPN. Plus, FOX coverage of college basketball has not attracted a large number of viewers. I looked up the average college basketball viewers by network and it is not good for FOX:

From 2015/2016:

CBS 1.471 million
ESPN 1.232 million
FOX 639,000
ESPN2 362,000
ESPNU 118,000
FS1 109,000
NBCSN 56,000

So being on FS1 is like being on ESPNU. The Big East men's championship game over the past 3 years has averaged 1.24 million viewers which is what ESPN averaged per game over the WHOLE season.

Look at Villanova. Last year after December 15th, Villanova did not play a game on the ESPN networks, UConn men's basketball played 12 games, and UConn women played 8 times excluding the NCAA tournament. How many Big East game highlights were covered by Sports Center?

One last question: Outside of Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery can anyone name another FOX college basketball personality?

Don't you guys get tired of being wrong. Those Fox numbers will go up thanks to UCONN. Also, being on normal tv is a million times better than being relegated to a Netflix school. Cable isn't going anywhere fast as human nature prefers cable to nonsense streaming.

Make no mistake about it, ESPN will be hurt by this not us. We stand to benefit bigly as does the Big East at the expense of the ACC. I have made this argument for years that we need to return to the Big East, and force ESPN's hand. ESPN has not been friendly to UCONN. If they wanted, they could call the ACC and issue a directive to accept UCONN, and that way as you said we can still be on ESPN.

PS: This is the first good proactive decision the school has made since realignment.

Reaction Score
It's through the WatchESPN app
Yeah, it’s actually not that simple. I remember trying to do this last year to watch some game. I couldn’t do it because I have Sling Blue. I was like you’ve got to be kidding me.

So this is actually a BS way to deliver content to fans. If you want FOOTBALL and hoops, you’re screwed.

Reaction Score
What do the games on the regular fox station bring in? I know on Sat/Sun games they have games at 12:00/2:00.

Plus your going to get cbs games as well

Reaction Score
No matter if you like or dislike the move to the Big East, one thing is true: ESPN is the king of college basketball. With the Big East media rights outside off the ESPN universe, we should expect to see less coverage of UConn basketball on ESPN. Plus, FOX coverage of college basketball has not attracted a large number of viewers. I looked up the average college basketball viewers by network and it is not good for FOX:

From 2015/2016:

CBS 1.471 million
ESPN 1.232 million
FOX 639,000
ESPN2 362,000
ESPNU 118,000
FS1 109,000
NBCSN 56,000

So being on FS1 is like being on ESPNU. The Big East men's championship game over the past 3 years has averaged 1.24 million viewers which is what ESPN averaged per game over the WHOLE season.

Look at Villanova. Last year after December 15th, Villanova did not play a game on the ESPN networks, UConn men's basketball played 12 games, and UConn women played 8 times excluding the NCAA tournament. How many Big East game highlights were covered by Sports Center?

One last question: Outside of Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery can anyone name another FOX college basketball personality?
There is no question that this decision was driven by nostalgia. Not by fact or reviewing potential. The loudest voices in the room pine for the good old days and have turned MSG into a fetish. They conveniently forget that Syracuse Pitt Notre Dame .west Virginia, in other words the top programs, are gone to be replaced by nobodies. But hey, MSG. Way less money too. But MSG. What are we doing to prepare for Y2K?

Reaction Score
There is no question that this decision was driven by nostalgia. Not by fact or reviewing potential. The loudest voices in the room pine for the good old days and have turned MSG into a fetish. They conveniently forget that Syracuse Pitt Notre Dame .west Virginia, in other words the top programs, are gone to be replaced by nobodies. But hey, MSG. Way less money too. But MSG. What are we doing to prepare for Y2K?
So you think the NBE didn’t look at any numbers and our administration just said “eh, so we lose millions but think of the memories!”
They looked at expenses for travel and all of the production for the digital assets. They have to know what the value is for the renegotiated contracts and the potential for them.
They looked at what they could get if they made the move. Somehow the numbers work.

Reaction Score
I have no information but I’m speculating that Fox Sports is also engaging in conversations with a streaming service simultaneously. Unlike the other huge media companies, Fox does not have conflicts with Amazon, Apple & Netflix. Exclusive live sports would add value to any of those platforms with the Big East, Pac 12 and Big 12 all parts of the equation. That would also benefit UConn football because they would have early time slots that the Western Conferences can’t provide.

Reaction Score
I have no information but I’m speculating that Fox Sports is also engaging in conversations with a streaming service simultaneously. Unlike the other huge media companies, Fox does not have conflicts with Amazon, Apple & Netflix. Exclusive live sports would add value to any of those platforms with the Big East, Pac 12 and Big 12 all parts of the equation. That would also benefit UConn football because they would have early time slots that the Western Conferences can’t provide.
Fox does have a pay streaming service for Fox News called Fox Nation. They do have their version ESPN3 called Fox Sports GO for streaming sports.

All media companies will have streaming options in the future. Also, I believe all ESPN associated conferences will have content on ESPN+. Right after the AAC media contract was announced, the Big 12 media contract also included ESPN+ games and content. Why was the AAC first (major conference) and the B12 second with ESPN+ content? Timing of the contract expiration.

This is from the Big 12 contract: "In addition, eight of the 10 schools in the league will ship hundreds of games across multiple sports to ESPN+ beginning this year, including one regular-season football game, as well as men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball games."

Big 12 expands content agreement with ESPN

It's OK if people oppose the AAC media contract due to its value, but anyone who opposes the deal due to ESPN+ is living in the past.

Reaction Score
sure it is.

1. lag
2. inability to change stations
Lag is overrated. Most people have over 100mbps internet these days. I was having issues with lag it was my router (old apple airport) was simply too old. No issues since i replaced it. Changing stations is an issue, but who switches off their uconn games.

I stream a lot of though so im used to the "issues".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somewhat, but I think it was mostly driven but the Americans consistent disregard of UConn best interests, The loss of the SNY exposure hurts our presence in the NE, NYC metro area. That was a death sentence for us.

Reaction Score
Fox does have a pay streaming service for Fox News called Fox Nation. They do have their version ESPN3 called Fox Sports GO for streaming sports.

All media companies will have streaming options in the future. Also, I believe all ESPN associated conferences will have content on ESPN+. Right after the AAC media contract was announced, the Big 12 media contract also included ESPN+ games and content. Why was the AAC first (major conference) and the B12 second with ESPN+ content? Timing of the contract expiration.

This is from the Big 12 contract: "In addition, eight of the 10 schools in the league will ship hundreds of games across multiple sports to ESPN+ beginning this year, including one regular-season football game, as well as men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball games."

Big 12 expands content agreement with ESPN

It's OK if people oppose the AAC media contract due to its value, but anyone who opposes the deal due to ESPN+ is living in the past.
But you can’t access it if you have certain Sling packages unless you buy another pay TV package. You can’t just buy ESPN streaming. They don’t sell it that way.
So if you want NFL games and have Sling Blue for Fox, you’re screwed because you can’t get ESPN. So do you also pay for DirectTV? Which is kind of stupid and against the point of cutting the cord...
I knew I had an issue with streaming on my TV... I just couldn’t remember what it was until I looked into it. So I had to watch on the ESPN website which sucked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lag is overrated. Most people have over 100mbps internet these days. I was having issues with lag it was my router (old apple airport) was simply too old. No issues since i replaced it. Changing stations is an issue, but who switches off their uconn games.

I stream a lot of though so im used to the "issues".

Plenty of lag from the provider end. I use + for a specific team and there are mornings where I am 2-3 min behind.

Also close game late it bogs down as people jump on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those top programs you named have a combined 1 less national championship than Tyler Olander.

C

Chief00

Linear TV viewing is undergoing a slow death. That is why Disney, HBO, ESPN, and others are coming out with over the top options and why Netflix, YouTube TV, and HULU are thriving. It is easy to watch them with a cable box today. I don’t watch Netflix on a computer, but on my TV. Games on ESPN3? I watch it on our TVs. ESPN+ will be the same. Streaming is the future and linear TV is the past.

If UConn decided to move to the Big East to allow women’s basketball games to be shown on a bundled linear cable sportsnet (SNY) which are in decline, they are really dumb.

By the way, the AAC was going to have more men’s basketball and football games on the linear ESPN networks with the new contract, not less.
It may be a slow generational death but it’s decades away.

C

Chief00

From 2015/2016:

CBS 1.471 million
ESPN 1.232 million
FOX 639,000
ESPN2 362,000
ESPNU 118,000
FS1 109,000
NBCSN 56,000

I business you need to look forward to what can be not rear view mirror. The is these numbers will change with the addition of UConn and that Fox understands they need to make this work on the football end - which they have great influence over.

Reaction Score
Another issue that can’t be underestimated is the switch from the Eastern power structure centered in Providence and the change to Texas. Colorado & Nebraska left the Big 12 when the values of the conference shifted from Midwestern to Texan. The power shift in the AAC may never be as dramatic as the Big 12 but it is still tangible and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Florida schools push back eventually as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You still need to know channel numbers? I press a button on my remote, say 'FS1', and it changes to that channel. Come live in the future, my friend.
I wish. FIOS has me with ancient equipment. Want to cut the cable but the wife hates change.

Reaction Score
I wish. FIOS has me with ancient equipment. Want to cut the cable but the wife hates change.
Fios is superior for internet. Comcast doesn’t suck for cable which is what I have for 1 TV.

Reaction Score
It may be a slow generational death but it’s decades away.
It's not decades away.

First, cord cutting is not only growing, but it is probably accelerating. In Q3 2018, satellite and cable companies lost 1.1 million subs, which is a record sub loss. Since 2011, satellite and cable subs have declined from 105 million to about 90 million.

What could really accelerate the decline in subs is the economics of the MSOs and telco cable providers. As the cable bundle subs decline, the companies may decide that they will get out of the channel bundle business and focus on broadband which is still growing subscribers. (This would force consumers to streaming services.) This would expand their margins and it is less capital intensive. These moves would tank the number of cable subscribers. Cable One is already going down this path. My guess is you will see Fios head down this path soon. Comcast will hold out the longest as their cable sub losses are less severe than the industry.

Obviously, the satellite companies would be screwed, but they have been losing subs fastest and the challenge to their business model is well understood.

Craig Moffatt of MoffettNathanson has done really good analysis on the subject if you want in-depth analysis.

The sale of the Fox Regional Sports Networks by Disney to Sinclair was well below expectations as the value of sports cable nets is declining. This is a warning sign.

Why do you think all of the media companies are scrambling to develop their streaming services? Because they know the revenues from the traditional business model is in LT decline.

One prediction. The next Big East media contract WILL include streaming content which will make everyone's fear of ESPN+ look absurd.

Reaction Score

From 2015/2016:

CBS 1.471 million
ESPN 1.232 million
FOX 639,000
ESPN2 362,000
ESPNU 118,000
FS1 109,000
NBCSN 56,000

Donny Marshall

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somewhat, but I think it was mostly driven but the Americans consistent disregard of UConn best interests, The loss of the SNY exposure hurts our presence in the NE, NYC metro area. That was a death sentence for us.

I’d argue it’s driven by the need to (a) increase fan enthusiasm and (b) reduce costs. Most non Boneyard people are thrilled. The excitement is back. Ticket sales will be way up. The arenas will be louder. Meanwhile travel cost goes down. We also don’t know what revenue we can get from SNY for football or WBB on linear cable.

I was generally against this move over the last several years. But as you noted, the AAC TV deal made no effort to accommodate us. None. They probably gave away T3 rights we could sell for $1.5m a year for an extra $1m a year spread across the league. F* that! And I can’t deny the jump in excitement. It’s real. The casual fans just woke up from a long slumber. How screwed is football? I don’t know really. Time will tell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not decades away.

First, cord cutting is not only growing, but it is probably accelerating. In Q3 2018, satellite and cable companies lost 1.1 million subs, which is a record sub loss. Since 2011, satellite and cable subs have declined from 105 million to about 90 million.

What could really accelerate the decline in subs is the economics of the MSOs and telco cable providers. As the cable bundle subs decline, the companies may decide that they will get out of the channel bundle business and focus on broadband which is still growing subscribers. (This would force consumers to streaming services.) This would expand their margins and it is less capital intensive. These moves would tank the number of cable subscribers. Cable One is already going down this path. My guess is you will see Fios head down this path soon. Comcast will hold out the longest as their cable sub losses are less severe than the industry.

Obviously, the satellite companies would be screwed, but they have been losing subs fastest and the challenge to their business model is well understood.

Craig Moffatt of MoffettNathanson has done really good analysis on the subject if you want in-depth analysis.

The sale of the Fox Regional Sports Networks by Disney to Sinclair was well below expectations as the value of sports cable nets is declining. This is a warning sign.

Why do you think all of the media companies are scrambling to develop their streaming services? Because they know the revenues from the traditional business model is in LT decline.

One prediction. The next Big East media contract WILL include streaming content which will make everyone's fear of ESPN+ look absurd.

It already does include it. They stream all the soccer and baseball games.

You’re not wrong really, it’s a question of whether prime content, like men’s hoops (or our women) is available only on a streaming platform and not simultaneously linear and streamed. That was the issue with ESPN+. In our case for example, we need any conference to sell the T3 streaming rights, while retaining linear for the school. That allows our SNY deal. Sports bars aren’t streaming stuff yet. They should but many are way behind the curve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom